Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Deans Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Read on another site where a person had finished deburring flash holes on just acquired brass. Got to thinking is deburring flash holes really necessary. I used to do it but the past few years the only thing I do to new brass is chamfer the case neck. I can't tell any difference in accuracy or velocity.

What say you?

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Waste of time and brain cells.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Deans
Read on another site where a person had finished deburring flash holes on just acquired brass. Got to thinking is deburring flash holes really necessary. I used to do it but the past few years the only thing I do to new brass is chamfer the case neck. I can't tell any difference in accuracy or velocity.

What say you?

Deans
Depends on the brass and your intended purposes

Last edited by sherm_61; 06/12/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do it for peace of mind. Do all you can for CONSISTANCY. It does not take long to do, and you can feel some that are really bad. Does it make any difference? I like to think so. Good shooting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do it with one cartridge, my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle--but have never actually tested whether it made any difference. After all, a primer's flame is a LOT longer than the flash-hole, even one with a considerable "ridge" around it.

But quit doing it with all other rifle cartridges years ago, due to finding too many grouped extremely well without it, including light big game rifles that would put 5 shots into half an inch or even less at 100 yards, not just 3 shots. Would deburring the flash holes reduce those groups significantly? I doubt it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I do it with one cartridge, my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle--but have never actually tested whether it made any difference. After all, a primer's flame is a LOT longer than the flash-hole, even one with a considerable "ridge" around it.

But quit doing it with all other rifle cartridges years ago, due to finding too many grouped extremely well without it, including light big game rifles that would put 5 shots into half an inch or even less at 100 yards, not just 3 shots. Would deburring the flash holes reduce those groups significantly? I doubt it.
Try it with sub par brass and past 500 yards thats the true test, the farther you shoot the more things matter

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For my purposes haven't noticed a difference

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It probably doesn't help any, but then again, it doesn't hurt anything either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use to deburr brass but I found it was an exercise in futility with no appreciable benefit for my hunting ammo.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

What say you?

Deans

It all depends on what brass you are talking about and what condition the flash hole is from the factory. If its real rough and not a nice clean flash hole, I'll "debur" it. If it doesn't have burrs, don't waste your time. I've seen some schidt factory flash holes that had to be deburred and also hit from the inside with a tool as well. New Winchester brass comes to mind. One of the reason I don't buy the chidt anymore. Lapua: no you don't have to mess with the flash hole.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

You are probably using pretty good brass too, to start with. That makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What say you?

Deans

It all depends on what brass you are talking about and what condition the flash hole is from the factory. If its real rough and not a nice clean flash hole, I'll "debur" it. If it doesn't have burrs, don't waste your time. I've seen some schidt factory flash holes that had to be deburred and also hit from the inside with a tool as well. New Winchester brass comes to mind. One of the reason I don't buy the chidt anymore. Lapua: no you don't have to mess with the flash hole.
BOOM!!^^^

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What can it hurt? You only have to do it once.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Necessary no . Does it hurt anything No , will you notice it with most rifles probably not. Very accurate interest type possibly every little bit helps in that game.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The various tools are inexpensive and the small amount of time spent is minimal……it can’t hurt! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always thought it was just one of those incremental things that can help with accuracy along with all the other steps we take. I've deburred a lot of flash holes inside and took off quite a bit of brass from the burr. Others there is almost no brass removed. Draw your own conclusions but I've always though anything you can do to create a uniform ignition flash that is unobstructed by debris can't hurt accuracy. Like said above, you only have to do it once.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I suggest that you at least inspect the inside of the cases especially if it is a first use. I have found string burrs (.5 - 1 inch long) in Lapua brass, heavy burrs in Winchester... this is just with my limited experience as a handloader.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I always do the flash holes. I was taught by a benchrest shooter.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like to do it only because I had a piece of brass once without a flash hole punched in it at all. It was easily noticed while reaming the flash hole.

I just bring em to my armchair and clean em up while watching the TV.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Been reloading for 30 years. Never deburred a flash hole in my life. Never had a problem finding sub MOA loads on every rifle I’ve owned…many of them sub-1/2 MOA.

Just my experience.

Leftybolt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,193 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.