-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even at our 43 acre place at high altitude where the 200 acre "neighborhood" was completely surrounded by national forest (forest boundary on 3 sides of our acreage) the people that sold the parcels had created covenants, and also a "Landowners Association" to oversee the covenants. But, their legal work was sloppy and in no way was the "Association" legally obligated to enforce the covenants.

So, we proposed and got the votes to pass a Bylaws revision which made the body strictly a road association - set the dues and all income had to be spent on road improvements - removed all language having to do with enforcement of covenants (rules). Consequently, there was no formal entity for enforcement - zero power structure for any that got hungry.

The protective covenants still stood, and if the landowners as a body wanted to confront another landowner over covenant violations, they had to figure out how to get together as fellow owners and resolve the issue. Made for better neighbor relationships and better behavior.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tikkanut
some city people would bitch about noisy sprinklers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I love the sound of impacts. It reminds me of this...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am no longer fond of living in an urban or suburban community.

I am also no longer fond of most people.

Very few people or communities offer things that Laura and I actually need anymore.

---------------------------------------

My old boxing coach told me years ago "Your fellow man is a fool to be avoided... family and friends are tough enough."

---------------------------------------

I am exceedingly kind to "Biscuit Girl" at Hardees, the tobacco clerk at Food Lion, my mechanics and tradesmen... most others get zero words.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I heard the words “Home owners association” during my search for property, I would look elsewhere. It’s the suburban version of “co-op board”, and I have no tolerance for either.

It must be a LIEberal construct, because NOBODY likes telling others how to live, and what to do more than a 21st Century LIEberal.

“Your mailbox is out of spec., and must be removed, or you will incur massive fines”…….. GFY!!!!

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve always figured the best way to stay out of an HOA was simply to not buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA?

When we bought it said no HOA. Now they are trying to put one in. I don't know why, we don't have any common area to take care of. They have changed the covenants several times the last few years and are trying to hold us to new ones not the ones we signed.

Right after we built a large home the reduced the square footage required to build in our neighborhood by about 500 square feet. All the sudden several smaller homes started going up around us when we were told the minimum home size had to be 3700 ft, 1850 on each level, main with basement or 2 story. At least 50% of our home front had to be rock or brick too. Now some neighbors have no rock or brick at all. They did just raise the size required up to 1800 per level but only after about 20 homes snuck in under their temporary change to 3200 ft total.

What's the point of having covenants if a few people can arbitrarily change them on a whim to benefit themselves or their friends. It's like having democrats in charge of the justice system. The rules aren't consistent and they pick and choose who to enforce against and who not to based on their personal feelings or financial incentives or who knows what.

They just came after me because I didn't have their architectural committee approve my chicken coop before I built it. I told them the covenants I signed didn't require it. They finally brought me a copy of the new ones. They told me I may have to take it down if they decide it doesn't meet their standards. I said they need to tear down about 20 new homed in the neighborhood while they're at it because they don't meet my standards or the covenants I agreed to when I bought.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have successfully avoided HOAs to this point in my life but I do have to wonder how many of you would be on the phone with your city or county if somebody parked Cousin Eddy's RV in front of your house and told you he isn't moving it.

Because make no mistake, that (or similar) is what caused most HOAs.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The two biggest mistakes in purchasing a home is:

1. Not using a third party home inspector - and never, ever, ever use the one your realtor recommends.
2. Not reading and comprehending the HOA covenants, balance sheet, and planned assessments.

HOAs have extraordinary power over you. Better understand what you're about to get into. From my experience, the smaller the HOA, the more draconian and ridiculous they become. And watch the hell out for Property Owners’ Associations (POAs). They have the power to evict you from your home for noncompliance and past due fees and assessments.

THIS. HOA's are where the KARENs proliferate...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live on Lk.St. Clair in a subdivision that there is not and never will be a Home Owner Association required....its a very old area that was vacation cottages and has turned into full time multi-million dollar residents....
There's over 800 residents now there is just over 50 that belong to there Home Owner Association but under Michigan Law every land owner must agree to join....it is very frustrating to new people that move here and want a HOA....Thankfully there are many that live here and don't want a HOA I'am one of them and moved here for that very reason....
Under Michigan law the only way that a HOA would be required is if ever land owner wanted to have one....
They have even stupid so low as working with a real-estate agent bringing paper work to closing to join the HOA and making new land owner sign to join....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I have successfully avoided HOAs to this point in my life but I do have to wonder how many of you would be on the phone with your city or county if somebody parked Cousin Eddy's RV in front of your house and told you he isn't moving it.

It goes beyond that. My luck, I would buy a nice quiet 30 acres somewhere only to have someone open a coon hound kennel or set up a chicken farm on the nearest property line. There goes your peace and quiet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
25% of American residences are in some form of an HOA. The overwhelming majority of those homeowners are happy with their HOAs. HOAs can be a blessing or a curse. For most people they work out well.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Pussies.

Just say you don't want me living next to you.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It goes beyond that. My luck, I would buy a nice quiet 30 acres somewhere only to have someone open a coon hound kennel or set up a chicken farm on the nearest property line. There goes your peace and quiet.
Yeah God forbid anyone do something they enjoy on their own land.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest problem with HOA's is who are the officers? Who's willing to take the job? How often is it an older woman with little else to do other than play nursemaid over all her neighbors who aren't behaving exactly like she wants them to?

Our daughter & family live in an HOA in NM. They have a community pool and the HOA rules specify that the HOA will maintain the pool to health dept. specs. Last week, all 3 of her boys got a skin infection from the pool. When she confronted them, they said that their budget ran out and they couldn't do the required maintenance. Now what would the HOA say if she didn't maintain THEIR property according to the rules?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid

Are you fugking stupid?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by TheKid

Are you fugking stupid?

No kidding....it's not like he is gonna dress like a mobile pride parade and block traffic or something inconsiderate like that.

The nerve!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
What is this HOA of which you speak?

Other people telling you how to live your life.
Oh, you mean like a legislature?

TN Declaration of rights:

Section 8. That no man shall be taken or imprisoned, or disseized of his freehold, liberties or privileges, or outlawed, or exiled, or in any manner destroyed or deprived of his life, liberty or property, but by the judgment of his peers, or the law of the land.

Section 21. That no man’s particular services shall be demanded, or property taken, or applied to public use, without the consent of his representatives, or without just compensation being made therefore.

Your peers include the HOA if you choose to go there...be careful who you elect.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'd greatly prefer cousin eddy's RV and dandelion factory to a "Single Family Dwelling" leased out to 3+ single people. Not a big deal until their lack of parking-planning and resultant nearly always feeble snow-removal efforts start to make it a large pain in the rear and turn a "through street" into a single-lane 2-track.

Twice in the 20yrs we've been here there's been men who decided our 1-block long cut-off street was going to be their own personal motorcycle drag-strip. The first was a nice young college kid, I complemented him on his bike, told him it looked like fun, and politely asked him to "open it up" somewhere other than our 1-block long residential street. He was immediately embarrassed, apologized and I don't think he ever broke 20MPH after that. The 2nd guy made the mistake of making one of his "runs" while the neighbor and I were out front BS'ing. After a less-polite, shorter, and more direct conversation, he didn't ride up/down the street anymore, he lived on a corner and rode such that he got into his driveway with a minimum of travel on our block.

Last edited by horse1; 06/13/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by horse1

I'd greatly prefer cousin eddy's RV and dandelion factory to a "Single Family Dwelling" leased out to 3+ single people. Not a big deal until their lack of parking-planning and resultant nearly always feeble snow-removal efforts start to make it a large pain in the rear and turn a "through street" into a single-lane 2-track.

I believe that would fall under "or similar."

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Pussies.

Just say you don't want me living next to you.

You don't want me living next to you.

Happy?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When we bought this place in '95, it was a hay field. There are quite a few acreages around us that are all in an HOA but our place is outside of it somehow. The place next door was part of the same hay field but it's in the HOA and we aren't. We get the advantages of all the other places being maintained without having to deal with it ourselves.

Around here, if you want an acreage, you need to spend some serious time on Google Earth looking north and west of the place you're shopping. You're looking for dairies. There are a bunch of them here and you really don't want to be downwind of one. The smell can carry for miles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.