Home
I wonder if this would really work ,against the dreaded Home Owners Assoc.

Attached picture 287425622_5433087483397713_4389687679044803500_n.jpg
It might be illegal to remove it but that won’t stop the power hungry HOA’s from fining you daily for being out of compliance. 😉

It’s only incumbent upon the citizens to follow the law, associations like the various HOA’s are above the law.
Could install an exclusion device, then remove it. It will just cost a lot of money for the biologist. And the property owner will pay for it.

Besides, do you want the vermin, guano, and rabies associated with 7,000 bats in your backyard?
What is this HOA of which you speak?
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Other people telling you how to live your life.

An insurance policy against this becoming your neighbor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JeffyD Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/12/22
I would hate neighbors telling me what I can and can't do on my property.
I'd have more respect for the bats.
Started building a house in 1/21. Against my will, agreed to pay the $500 annual HOA fees. Moved in the house 11/23/21. Was in the home less than 90 days and received a letter in the mail requesting payment for a $289 "assessment". I avoided it for probably 2-3 months until I received a notice that a lien was going to be filed against my property if I didn't pay up. Paid it and within 60 days received another "assessment" for $165! These HOA mfer's are nothing more than a money grab! They can and will charge you "fees" any time they want to and there's nothing you can do about it short of selling your home and moving.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I would take that over any HOA

If you're worried about what's in your neighbors's yard, your lot is too small.
Originally Posted by tedthorn

No shït.
Posted By: CCCC Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Started building a house in 1/21. Against my will, agreed to pay the $500 annual HOA fees. Moved in the house 11/23/21. Was in the home less than 90 days and received a letter in the mail requesting payment for a $289 "assessment". I avoided it for probably 2-3 months until I received a notice that a lien was going to be filed against my property if I didn't pay up. Paid it and within 60 days received another "assessment" for $165! These HOA mfer's are nothing more than a money grab! They can and will charge you "fees" any time they want to and there's nothing you can do about it short of selling your home and moving.
In many jurisdictions there will be due warning - revealing/acknowledgement of the HOA and its powers is part of the advertising/selling/buying process.
Originally Posted by kingston

I am poor. I can't afford the several hundred acres it would take to isolate myself from eyesores and noise pollution.
Posted By: EdM Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
In many jurisdictions there will be due warning - revealing/acknowledgement of the HOA and its powers is part of the advertising/selling/buying process.

Apparently some fail to read...
Posted By: Hudge Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/12/22
When we bought we were told “no HOA” and I have paperwork to prove it. The developer behind everyone’s back went and registered the neighborhood as multiple HOA’s. Each phase has their own HOA unless they got the 80% by state law to to over ride it. The only reason we agreed to keep ours is it’s the only was we could keep our street lights on. In AK, HOA’s follow the same laws as. On-profits so it was pretty painless for the developer to register the HOA’s with no one knowing about it. About 4 years ago I got on the board and we lawyered up to do away with the HOA. Found out that was a bigger headache then it was worth so the dues pay for street lights only, plus insurance, and a management company. We found out we have to enforce the CCR’s by AK law or we can be sued. Luckily. It’s $11 a month fee, and once we have a $10K retainer it drops even lower due to the bylaws we wrote in.
A lot of the HOA's have management companies handling them .Those are the worst. If the covenants have a clause where assessments or fines may be applied by the BOD, you are screwed. When your closing was done,you signed a document saying you agreed to them.Screwing number two.It goes down hill from there.

There's nothing there that half a gallon of gasoline won't fix. It used to take a gallon, but "times are hard"!
Posted By: skeen Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by rem shooter
[Linked Image]

Stickin' it to 'the man.' laugh
The two biggest mistakes in purchasing a home is:

1. Not using a third party home inspector - and never, ever, ever use the one your realtor recommends.
2. Not reading and comprehending the HOA covenants, balance sheet, and planned assessments.

HOAs have extraordinary power over you. Better understand what you're about to get into. From my experience, the smaller the HOA, the more draconian and ridiculous they become. And watch the hell out for Property Owners’ Associations (POAs). They have the power to evict you from your home for noncompliance and past due fees and assessments.
some city people would bitch about noisy sprinklers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Every member of a HOA deserve everything that comes with it. I have zero sympathy for the member victims of HOA’s.
Originally Posted by Hudge
When we bought we were told “no HOA” and I have paperwork to prove it. The developer behind everyone’s back went and registered the neighborhood as multiple HOA’s. Each phase has their own HOA unless they got the 80% by state law to to over ride it. The only reason we agreed to keep ours is it’s the only was we could keep our street lights on. In AK, HOA’s follow the same laws as. On-profits so it was pretty painless for the developer to register the HOA’s with no one knowing about it. About 4 years ago I got on the board and we lawyered up to do away with the HOA. Found out that was a bigger headache then it was worth so the dues pay for street lights only, plus insurance, and a management company. We found out we have to enforce the CCR’s by AK law or we can be sued. Luckily. It’s $11 a month fee, and once we have a $10K retainer it drops even lower due to the bylaws we wrote in.
Here’s an example of a member “victim”. I have zero sympathy. You got to the point of getting rid of the HOA…but the street lights…we could be sued over ccr’s.

Good gawd. There is a lot of truth in that statement.
I have a POA (Property's Owner Association) where my property is in Arizona.
We have 2 groups of people up there.
The ones that want to Control everyone and the ones that want Freedom.
I have fought the Control Freaks ever since I purchased my Property 10+ years ago.
The Freedom members of our Community even Appointed me on the Board of Directors even after I told them that they did not want my Attitude on the Board.
We had some real fun on the Board for that year and shook things up real bad. So much so that I was Personally named in a Lawsuit against the POA Board.

What kind of Moron Sues them selves
Well the Board members that Appointed me on the Board got just what they wanted.
I have been off of the Board for 2 years now and the Control Freaks are 0ne by one moving out of our Community.
I get to shove the words up the Arrses every chance I can to the Control Freaks that are still in our Community.
They can not hide. When they open their mouths I take their own words and shove them so hard right back down their throats they have to shut up to save face.
Some times HOA's and POA's can be fun for those that what to help expose the AHoles for whom they really are.

If I ever officially run for the Board it will be very interesting t see how many vote for me.
I just finished up a welding job for a friend in our Community and he has been showing pics of the work to members of the Community and he tells me that so many people know who I am and that most of those people want to meet me. He says that I am very popular up there.
I personally only know a handful of people. When I attend the POA Meetings I always have 1 or 2 attending members come over to shake my hand and introduce them selves to me.
Ya HOA's and POA's can be a huge thorn in your side or they can be fun for the Chit Stirrers.
People who hate school choice love HOA's.
There are HOAs and HOAs. Ours is toothless. The one where my father lived in MD was worse, run by weasels, and the dues covering the clubhouse and pool came to about $3k a year.
Our bats are pretty active.
Was there ever a bat house with bats in it?

Around here highway bridges and buildings attract a lot more.

Anyhow, in my neighborhood if you PO people they drive by your house and shoot at it 🙂 Still beats the heck out of an HOA.
We used to have bats till we got mosquito fish in the water feature on the patio. No more bats, fish ate the bugs. We don't have to ask anyone for permission to take a piss here.
Posted By: efw Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
I’ve always figured the best way to stay out of an HOA was simply to not buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA?
Posted By: skeen Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve always figured the best way to stay out of an HOA was simply to not buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA?

Eh, it keeps the riff-raff out.

This is how I know when someone paid cash for their house.
Originally Posted by efw
Or not in a neighborhood…
Posted By: TheKid Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by efw

What if we are the riff raff?
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by efw

What's even worse is riff raff with money!
I have a POA that has no legal binding clauses in it. Just a good will signed attempt to keep all property owners on the same page. No one manages it or enforces anything and no fees or dues are paid for it. All plots are between 3.5 and 5 acres with single family homes. Pretty much all the POA says is property is not to be subdivided and no business can be built on the property.

Absolutely! In the the summertime I can faintly hear if the "neighbors" are out mowing a field and in winter time when the trees are bare I can see their pole lights on the garage and horse barn of the nearest house in the distance. Havent a clue what their property's condition is and really dont give a rats azz either! Live in the last house on a deadend street with 4 houses that dead ends past me at a gate to the backside fields of a 500+ acre farm with first property down by the cross street being just under 2 acres and the rest 13+ acres
I like the bat house. Add some viewing benches around it and invite the neighbors - admission 1 quality beer.
Id never buy a place in an hoa. I can do whatever the hell i want with my place. One neighbor to the east, woods all around. State land. Only downside is hearing retards mag dumping at the gravel pit 500 yards away on the state land.

As would I.

The HOA is an example of just how far into their lives people are willing to allow bureaucrats to intrude. More sovereignty abdicated in the name of illusory comfort and safety. But at least they have that trendy open-concept going for them, at least until it becomes passé and the next must-have, must-be comes along. I'm betting a decade or less of "upgrades" for some folks would buy that hundred acres and then some.
Posted By: CCCC Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
Even at our 43 acre place at high altitude where the 200 acre "neighborhood" was completely surrounded by national forest (forest boundary on 3 sides of our acreage) the people that sold the parcels had created covenants, and also a "Landowners Association" to oversee the covenants. But, their legal work was sloppy and in no way was the "Association" legally obligated to enforce the covenants.

So, we proposed and got the votes to pass a Bylaws revision which made the body strictly a road association - set the dues and all income had to be spent on road improvements - removed all language having to do with enforcement of covenants (rules). Consequently, there was no formal entity for enforcement - zero power structure for any that got hungry.

The protective covenants still stood, and if the landowners as a body wanted to confront another landowner over covenant violations, they had to figure out how to get together as fellow owners and resolve the issue. Made for better neighbor relationships and better behavior.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I love the sound of impacts. It reminds me of this...

I am no longer fond of living in an urban or suburban community.

I am also no longer fond of most people.

Very few people or communities offer things that Laura and I actually need anymore.

---------------------------------------

My old boxing coach told me years ago "Your fellow man is a fool to be avoided... family and friends are tough enough."

---------------------------------------

I am exceedingly kind to "Biscuit Girl" at Hardees, the tobacco clerk at Food Lion, my mechanics and tradesmen... most others get zero words.
Posted By: TomT Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
If I heard the words “Home owners association” during my search for property, I would look elsewhere. It’s the suburban version of “co-op board”, and I have no tolerance for either.

It must be a LIEberal construct, because NOBODY likes telling others how to live, and what to do more than a 21st Century LIEberal.

“Your mailbox is out of spec., and must be removed, or you will incur massive fines”…….. GFY!!!!
Originally Posted by efw

When we bought it said no HOA. Now they are trying to put one in. I don't know why, we don't have any common area to take care of. They have changed the covenants several times the last few years and are trying to hold us to new ones not the ones we signed.

Right after we built a large home the reduced the square footage required to build in our neighborhood by about 500 square feet. All the sudden several smaller homes started going up around us when we were told the minimum home size had to be 3700 ft, 1850 on each level, main with basement or 2 story. At least 50% of our home front had to be rock or brick too. Now some neighbors have no rock or brick at all. They did just raise the size required up to 1800 per level but only after about 20 homes snuck in under their temporary change to 3200 ft total.

What's the point of having covenants if a few people can arbitrarily change them on a whim to benefit themselves or their friends. It's like having democrats in charge of the justice system. The rules aren't consistent and they pick and choose who to enforce against and who not to based on their personal feelings or financial incentives or who knows what.

They just came after me because I didn't have their architectural committee approve my chicken coop before I built it. I told them the covenants I signed didn't require it. They finally brought me a copy of the new ones. They told me I may have to take it down if they decide it doesn't meet their standards. I said they need to tear down about 20 new homed in the neighborhood while they're at it because they don't meet my standards or the covenants I agreed to when I bought.

Bb
I have successfully avoided HOAs to this point in my life but I do have to wonder how many of you would be on the phone with your city or county if somebody parked Cousin Eddy's RV in front of your house and told you he isn't moving it.

Because make no mistake, that (or similar) is what caused most HOAs.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

1. Not using a third party home inspector - and never, ever, ever use the one your realtor recommends.
2. Not reading and comprehending the HOA covenants, balance sheet, and planned assessments.

HOAs have extraordinary power over you. Better understand what you're about to get into. From my experience, the smaller the HOA, the more draconian and ridiculous they become. And watch the hell out for Property Owners’ Associations (POAs). They have the power to evict you from your home for noncompliance and past due fees and assessments.

THIS. HOA's are where the KARENs proliferate...
I live on Lk.St. Clair in a subdivision that there is not and never will be a Home Owner Association required....its a very old area that was vacation cottages and has turned into full time multi-million dollar residents....
There's over 800 residents now there is just over 50 that belong to there Home Owner Association but under Michigan Law every land owner must agree to join....it is very frustrating to new people that move here and want a HOA....Thankfully there are many that live here and don't want a HOA I'am one of them and moved here for that very reason....
Under Michigan law the only way that a HOA would be required is if ever land owner wanted to have one....
They have even stupid so low as working with a real-estate agent bringing paper work to closing to join the HOA and making new land owner sign to join....
Originally Posted by deflave
I have successfully avoided HOAs to this point in my life but I do have to wonder how many of you would be on the phone with your city or county if somebody parked Cousin Eddy's RV in front of your house and told you he isn't moving it.

It goes beyond that. My luck, I would buy a nice quiet 30 acres somewhere only to have someone open a coon hound kennel or set up a chicken farm on the nearest property line. There goes your peace and quiet.
25% of American residences are in some form of an HOA. The overwhelming majority of those homeowners are happy with their HOAs. HOAs can be a blessing or a curse. For most people they work out well.

Pussies.

Just say you don't want me living next to you.

It goes beyond that. My luck, I would buy a nice quiet 30 acres somewhere only to have someone open a coon hound kennel or set up a chicken farm on the nearest property line. There goes your peace and quiet.
Yeah God forbid anyone do something they enjoy on their own land.
The biggest problem with HOA's is who are the officers? Who's willing to take the job? How often is it an older woman with little else to do other than play nursemaid over all her neighbors who aren't behaving exactly like she wants them to?

Our daughter & family live in an HOA in NM. They have a community pool and the HOA rules specify that the HOA will maintain the pool to health dept. specs. Last week, all 3 of her boys got a skin infection from the pool. When she confronted them, they said that their budget ran out and they couldn't do the required maintenance. Now what would the HOA say if she didn't maintain THEIR property according to the rules?
Originally Posted by TheKid

Are you fugking stupid?

Are you fugking stupid?

No kidding....it's not like he is gonna dress like a mobile pride parade and block traffic or something inconsiderate like that.

The nerve!

Other people telling you how to live your life.
Oh, you mean like a legislature?

TN Declaration of rights:

Section 8. That no man shall be taken or imprisoned, or disseized of his freehold, liberties or privileges, or outlawed, or exiled, or in any manner destroyed or deprived of his life, liberty or property, but by the judgment of his peers, or the law of the land.

Section 21. That no man’s particular services shall be demanded, or property taken, or applied to public use, without the consent of his representatives, or without just compensation being made therefore.

Your peers include the HOA if you choose to go there...be careful who you elect.
Posted By: horse1 Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22

I'd greatly prefer cousin eddy's RV and dandelion factory to a "Single Family Dwelling" leased out to 3+ single people. Not a big deal until their lack of parking-planning and resultant nearly always feeble snow-removal efforts start to make it a large pain in the rear and turn a "through street" into a single-lane 2-track.

Twice in the 20yrs we've been here there's been men who decided our 1-block long cut-off street was going to be their own personal motorcycle drag-strip. The first was a nice young college kid, I complemented him on his bike, told him it looked like fun, and politely asked him to "open it up" somewhere other than our 1-block long residential street. He was immediately embarrassed, apologized and I don't think he ever broke 20MPH after that. The 2nd guy made the mistake of making one of his "runs" while the neighbor and I were out front BS'ing. After a less-polite, shorter, and more direct conversation, he didn't ride up/down the street anymore, he lived on a corner and rode such that he got into his driveway with a minimum of travel on our block.
Originally Posted by horse1

I'd greatly prefer cousin eddy's RV and dandelion factory to a "Single Family Dwelling" leased out to 3+ single people. Not a big deal until their lack of parking-planning and resultant nearly always feeble snow-removal efforts start to make it a large pain in the rear and turn a "through street" into a single-lane 2-track.

I believe that would fall under "or similar."
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Pussies.

You don't want me living next to you.

Happy?
When we bought this place in '95, it was a hay field. There are quite a few acreages around us that are all in an HOA but our place is outside of it somehow. The place next door was part of the same hay field but it's in the HOA and we aren't. We get the advantages of all the other places being maintained without having to deal with it ourselves.

Around here, if you want an acreage, you need to spend some serious time on Google Earth looking north and west of the place you're shopping. You're looking for dairies. There are a bunch of them here and you really don't want to be downwind of one. The smell can carry for miles.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

THIS. HOA's are where the KARENs proliferate...

How many people are you gonna accuse of being a "kook" today?

LOL

You're the definition of a Karen.

Pussies.

You don't want me living next to you.

Happy?

I would be better to live next to than The Chad.
Posted By: Boise Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
Odd, I live in a development with an HOA but instead of complaining I became the President and modified the rules to my liking. I keep getting reelected so the majority agree with my leadership. I did threaten to turn off a member's water but then he hadn't paid his bill in a year. And I've been call a prick because I told a neighbor he couldn't plow his driveway and leave the snow in the road, told him next time he would get to speak with the sheriff. I like our HOA along with our private road district, and yes, I manage all the road work.
I would be better to live next to than The Chad.

LOL

The Chad and effort didn't mix too well:

How to get back at your HOA. Since you can't have a garden but you can have flowers plant cotton and okra in the front yard.
Posted By: horse1 Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by Hastings
How to get back at your HOA. Since you can't have a garden but you can have flowers plant cotton and okra in the front yard.

Flax, I like the pretty blue flowers........
Kinda like Huntsman’s saying about everybody wants to do cowboy stuff until it’s time to do cowboy stuff.

Everybody wants to live in the country until the neighbors want to do country stuff. Oh no! My neighbors have a goat or a coon hound. Oh no! The neighbors shoot cans out behind their barn while I was trying to take a nap after my bubble bath. Oh goodness! Those pesky neighbors have chickens and ducks. The nerve of some people! Those hicks were working on a pickup out in front of their house.

I know let’s elect a bunch of dogooder Karens into a more restrictive government than the already restrictive state, federal, and local governments we pretend to hate so we can teach them a lesson. Good call
HOAs are governed entities and have to follow rules and state laws.

1. Read the bylaws and covenants on file at register of deeds. Unless on file not enforceable. Read and learn.

2. HOAs are corporations just like GM and state corporation laws have mandates for them to follow.

3. Your right to review all records, board minutes etc. Particular is financial. Any question on some bylaw ask to see minutes where voters approved it. Most bylaws fo not allow board to make rules without voter approval.

Most issues are HOA NAZIS acting outside official on file rules and bylaws. On that case the mandatory "Direcocter and Officer" liability insurance policy will not cover them.
HOA equals the neighborhood Taliban.
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

1. Read the bylaws and covenants on file at register of deeds. Unless on file not enforceable. Read and learn.

2. HOAs are corporations just like GM and state corporation laws have mandates for them to follow.

3. Your right to review all records, board minutes etc. Particular is financial. Any question on some bylaw ask to see minutes where voters approved it. Most bylaws fo not allow board to make rules without voter approval.

Most issues are HOA NAZIS acting outside official on file rules and bylaws. On that case the mandatory "Direcocter and Officer" liability insurance policy will not cover them.
There's a large variation in enforcement. Some officers will allow anything until it's far enough outside of the rules to affect others. Others will crack down on even the slightest perceived infraction, like the size of a flag measured down to the nearest inch. There's a lot of space in between.
There was one near here that I knew about. The rules allowed yard sales. However, 1 house had a yard sale that was every weekend for 2 years until the HOA shut it down.
Kinda like Huntsman’s saying about everybody wants to do cowboy stuff until it’s time to do cowboy stuff.

Everybody wants to live in the country until the neighbors want to do country stuff. Oh no! My neighbors have a goat or a coon hound. Oh no! The neighbors shoot cans out behind their barn while I was trying to take a nap after my bubble bath. Oh goodness! Those pesky neighbors have chickens and ducks. The nerve of some people! Those hicks were working on a pickup out in front of their house.

I know let’s elect a bunch of dogooder Karens into a more restrictive government than the already restrictive state, federal, and local governments we pretend to hate so we can teach them a lesson. Good call

Yep.
Did you get your permit for that structure?

How do you get 7,000 bats inside before they take it down?
I'm appreciating the replies here, but it leaves me wondering if there is anyone here who actually knows how to GET RID of a HOA?

As in terminating it as a legal entity, dis-associating the association, wiping it off the books?
As I look forward to joining the ranks of the senior citizens, I have been contemplating a move to town but I'm not sure I can handle it. It has been 32 years since I have lived in town. I can shoot in my back yard, I can pee where I like. I can dig a hole if I want and fill it up. There is a trade-off though; I have to look after myself. I have to maintain my road, haul my own trash, and deal with problems which may arise. For now, I'm OK with it. GD
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

good factual post.... I defeated my HOA because they were violating the by laws... read them, understand them.
I even used them to get me and my immediate neighbors out of the HOA
Originally Posted by czech1022
I'm appreciating the replies here, but it leaves me wondering if there is anyone here who actually knows how to GET RID of a HOA?

As in terminating it as a legal entity, dis-associating the association, wiping it off the books?

I did it. Took me several years, mainly to get my neighbors to agree... the key is to read the bylaws, ours had a provision to succeed, we did it with amendments, no lawyers required.

If I move in next to the Clampetts, that is on me.

I should be able to move into a place where I do not have to worry about the Clampetts moving in next to me.

Some folks don't want to live next to a flea-ridden junkyard with baying hounds.

HOA's exist for a reason, and people put up with them for a reason.

Maybe baying hounds running all over the place don't bother you, just like ghetto POS loud car music doesn't bother those playing it. I don't want others disturbing my peaceful enjoyment and I won't disturb theirs. HOA's are the only sure way to maintain status-quo.

I don't live in one, and I don't like them, but I know why they exist.
I don't know why anyone would willingly invite more government control into their lives, that's their choice.
Originally Posted by plumbum

I should be able to move into a place where I do not have to worry about the Clampetts moving in next to me.

Some folks don't want to live next to a flea-ridden junkyard with baying hounds.

Maybe baying hounds running all over the place don't bother you, just like ghetto POS loud car music doesn't bother those playing it. I don't want others disturbing my peaceful enjoyment and I won't disturb theirs. HOA's are the only sure way to maintain status-quo.

You are the perfect HOA Nazi.... congrats
Buy enough land so the hillbillies don't bother you or stfu... peasant
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
I don't know why anyone would willingly invite more government control into their lives, that's their choice.

Welcome back Scott.

For pussies that want to live "in the country" but don't really want to "live" in the country.

Is it only hillbilly types that can’t move in next to you or does it apply to blacks, Mexicans, and Indians too?
A lot to be said for sweeping your own front porch
For those considering moving into an area with an HOA....................

read this book first:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/609731.The_Association
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

For pussies that want to live "in the country" but don't really want to "live" in the country.

There is an awful lot of real estate in between civilization and third world trash heap hound dog hookworm squalor. It is not one or the other. Your efforts to equate manliness exclusively to the above is interesting, but a failure.

You know HOA's are voluntary, right? They are no threat to anybody unless one is a slob who cannot read real estate documents. Sweeping a porch and living cleanly and quietly does not make somebody a pussy. Neither does wanting a neighbor who does the same.

HOA's exist for a reason, probably including dealing with people who think living cleanly and quietly is only for pussies.

+1000
Y'all have heard the names of different groups of critters, right.

A gaggle of geese

A murder of crows.

well, here's a new one for you....................

There is an awful lot of real estate in between civilization and third world trash heap hound dog hookworm squalor. It is not one or the other. Your efforts to equate manliness exclusively to the above is interesting, but a failure.

You know HOA's are voluntary, right? They are no threat to anybody unless one is a slob who cannot read real estate documents. Sweeping a porch and living cleanly and quietly does not make somebody a pussy. Neither does wanting a neighbor who does the same.

HOA's exist for a reason, probably including dealing with people who think living cleanly and quietly is only for pussies.
Sweeping ones own porch means minding ones own business, nothing to do w being "clean".

Yep voluntary which is why I volunteer to not buy in an HOA development.

One can live clean and quiet in one and still be in violation. Vehicles, boats/trailers, paint colors, plants, gardens, have to have certain styles of mailboxes, can't work on a vehicle in the driveway.....the list goes on.

Sweeping ones own porch means minding ones own business, nothing to do w being "clean".

Yep voluntary which is why I volunteer to not buy in an HOA development.

One can live clean and quiet in one and still be in violation. Vehicles, boats/trailers, paint colors, plants, gardens, have to have certain styles of mailboxes, can't work on a vehicle in the driveway.....the list goes on.

And God forbid you want to play Edgar Winter's Frankenstein, loud, on the patio speakers, at 9pm.
Slob neighbors will eventually get enough of their 28" tires going flat and their pit bulls chowing down on antifreeze-laced hot dog snacks, and find somewhere else to live.

Is it only hillbilly types that can’t move in next to you or does it apply to blacks, Mexicans, and Indians too?

As long as they are clean and quiet, I don't care who moves in.
Why would anyone want to "get back at a HOA"?

Anyone moving into a subdivision would have got a copy of the covenants before moving so they knew the rules going in. Don't like it don't move there.
Posted By: CCCC Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22

This post fairly well captures the matter - don't join a HOA (buy the property) if you don't wish to abide by the covenants and elect sensible officers to run the HOA. We had decent covenants and a sensible HOA setup at outset - it went cockeyed - we worked to fix it and did.

Overall, it is an exercise in human community. If you don't want neighbors, locate accordingly. If you choose to have neighbors, the community is going to be what the combo of all property owners make it - whether or not you have the HOA. In almost all jurisdictions, the HOA is a quasi corporation defined by laws and its rules can be revised - even abandoned - and the covenants can be revised by some sort of a majority agreement by landowners. Requires cooperative effort by the members.

Most of the time, the factual existence of the HOA is not a problem - the problems derive from improper and/or "illegal" behavior - either neighbors violating the covenants or HOA leaders doing bad stuff - or BOTH. By and large, the nature and quality of the community is determined by the principles of the residents - in older times by cooperative understandings - in more recent times by quasi legal entities.

Yep.

Yup

Please define "clean" and "quiet"?
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Homosexual.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Homosexual.

Black?

Mexican?

Irish?

I use the ordinary dictionary definitions, there for you to find.

Homosexual.

Black?

Mexican?

Irish?

What about them?
Originally Posted by Cluggins

Welcome back Scott.

Good catch. It's Steelhead no doubt.
Originally Posted by Cluggins

Welcome back Scott.

Good catch. It's Steelhead no doubt.

Rick must’ve played whack a mole with JakeDog already. 😂
Originally Posted by rem shooter

This appears to be working cool But its pro-police so I dunno if it applies to 'Fire members.

Neighbors put up Blue Line flags after HOA tells man to take his down.
Posted By: JeffA Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/13/22
HOAs are GREAT!

They allow for all the dipschit idiots that suffer control issues and other mental illnesses to cluster together in one spot.
HOA's attract the most miserable [bleep] imaginable..... anyone defending them here is probably a miserable [bleep]!
Originally Posted by irfubar
HOA's attract the most miserable [bleep] imaginable..... anyone defending them here is probably a miserable [bleep]!

They are for prissy metro(at best)sexuals with money. They can buy their little lot of grass with a spec home in a cute little neighborhood and gossip about the unwashed hordes at their HOA meetings while sipping wine and choking on côck.
I cant believe Rick bleeps out koksucker

HOAs are gayer than a grown man in shorts and flip flops.

HOAs are gayer than a grown man in shorts and flip flops.

Plumbum disapproves of this message.... wink
oh and can't leave out Paul

I use the ordinary dictionary definitions, there for you to find.

Which one of these definitions do you prefer...........or perhaps all of them?
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/quiet

1. Making or characterized by little or no noise: a quiet library; a quiet street; a quiet, well tuned engine.
2.a. Free of turmoil and agitation; calm: a quiet lake; a quiet place in the country.
b. Providing or allowing relaxation; restful; soothing: a quiet afternoon nap; a quiet tune on the flute.
3. Not showy or bright; subdued: a room decorated in quiet colors.
4. Restrained, as in style; understated: a quiet strength; a quiet life.
5. Out of public scrutiny; known or discussed by few: wanted to keep the incident quiet until after the election.

Perhaps #3? No good having the neighbors move in and paint their new house canary yellow with puce trim.

Or perhaps #1. No rugrats......them things are SO noisy, What with playing, inviting friends over, then they have a birthday party with those dang Bouncy Houses and a clown.

Same for clean, which one do you like?

1. Free from dirt, stain, or impurities; unsoiled: a clean kitchen floor; clean clothes.

2.a. Free from foreign matter or pollution; unadulterated: clean air; clean drinking water.
b. Not infected: a clean wound.

3.a. Producing relatively little pollution: a clean fuel; a cleaner, more efficient engine.
b. Producing relatively little radioactive fallout or contamination: a clean nuclear bomb.

4. Having no imperfections or blemishes; regular or even: a clean edge; a smooth, clean joint.

5.a. Not ornate or intricate; spare: "the clean lines and exquisite proportions of early modernism" (Judith Thurman).
b. Sharply defined; clear-cut: a clean outline against the sky.

6. Free from clumsiness; deft; adroit: a clean throw.

7. Devoid of restrictions or encumbrances: a clean bill of health.

8. Thorough; complete: a clean getaway.

9. Having few alterations or corrections; legible: clean manuscript.

10. Blank: a clean page.

11.a. Morally pure; virtuous: led a clean life.
b. Having no marks of discredit or offense: a clean voting record.

12. Fit for all readers, listeners, or audiences; not ribald or obscene: a clean joke.

13. Honest or fair: a clean fighter; a clean competition.

14. Slang
a. Not carrying concealed weapons or drugs.
b. Innocent of a suspected crime.

15. Informal
a. Free from narcotics addiction.
b. Showing no evidence of using banned or performance-enhancing substances: proven to be clean before the race.

I'm wondering if you prefer neighbors of the #11 type?
Or is it #1.
You know, those folks that wash their cars weekly, edge the lawn and sweep up the trimmings (not just blow it into the street with one of those machines)

See, there's the problem with the HOA types..............differing definitions of "clean and quiet"

Homosexual.

Black?

Mexican?

Irish?

What about them?

They're OK if they're clean and quiet?

Homosexual.

Black?

Mexican?

Irish?

What about them?

They're OK if they're clean and quiet?

Why would they not be and why do you keep carving out those three groups of people? Why are you separating by ethnicity?
See, there's the problem with the HOA types..............differing definitions of "clean and quiet"

1) You are conflating my appreciation for clean and quiet, with whatever you define as "HOA types."

How do you define "HOA types"?

2) HOA's necessarily define their standards of conduct. There is no need to satisfy your opinion on the matter. The members go in with eyes open, and everything spelled out. That is not a problem.

1) You are conflating my appreciation for clean and quiet, with whatever you define as "HOA types."

2) HOA's necessarily define their standards of conduct. There is no need to satisfy your opinion on the matter. The members go in with eyes open, and everything spelled out. That is not a problem.

If everything were spelled out, and everyone had their eyes open..............................

why are there always problems and why so much discussion on a board like this?

Just like dang near every time some legislative body passes a new law/code/ restriction, no one knows what it actually means until it's been taken to court and "interpreted" by a judge or jury.

Wrong... yet again. The main problem being control freaks that bend or flat out defy the rules due to their need to control. I lived it and battled it for several years and won.

If everything were spelled out, and everyone had their eyes open..............................

Just like dang near every time some legislative body passes a new law/code/ restriction, no one knows what it actually means until it's been taken to court and "interpreted" by a judge or jury.

Well you keep dragging race into it, there being some relationship in your mind between cleanliness, quietude, blacks, Mexicans, and Irish.

Please provides us with examples of that.

Please define "no one knows what it actually means."

Well you keep dragging race into it, there being some relationship in your mind between cleanliness, quietude, blacks, Mexicans, and Irish.
NO, I don't

I have no issues with any race.

I was following up on The Kid's question in regards to your comment about not having the "Clampetts" move in next to you.

You're not following along.

If you'll not tolerate the Clampetts (hillbillies with flea ridden baying hounds?) moving in, as The Kid put it to you

So, is it only a question of "clean and quiet", or are there other pecadillos besides noisy baying hounds and dirty hillbillies that you need protection from?
Posted By: horse1 Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/14/22
I had a boss once who lived in a place that required all vehicles to be parked in garages every night. Nothing in the driveway and for damned-sure certain nothing parked on the street overnight. I've got a "work car" my pickup for hunting/pulling the boat/assorted pickup-type chores, momma has a car, and I inherited my dad's street-rod when he passed away. 4 cars between 2 of us and the 2 kids aren't driving yet. 4-5years from now I'd need a 6-car garage to be in compliance. Here's a real catch-22 in that situation. You want to go fishing early in the AM. Can't leave the boat/truck hooked-up on the street the night before, and even a quiet diesel is bound to wake up someone @ 5:00AM as you're hooking up to leave.

I wonder what they'd say when I used my 20V impact to swap from winter to summer tires on 3 vehicles out in the driveway? I supposed they'd be aghast that my 9 and 13yr old girls can do everything to change a tire except lift the new one onto the studs, child labor laws or some-such.

We live in town in a modest neighborhood, have great neighbors, and no HOA. We're very fortunate.
Are you clean and quiet though? wink

Brother Geno.... I am shocked to learn you are a racist..... damn never saw that coming... smile smile
Didn't Biden call Barrak a clean negro?

Yeah, 80+, rural acres is about right !

Cheers !
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Cheers !

I'd love that...BUT. Most of the folks here know my luck. Someone would develop a gravel plant on the adjacent property. The kind where they grind big rocks into small rocks all day and night long. Either that or someone would develop a trailer park that has a bunch of meth mouths for residents. Nothing more fun than working 24/7 to keep trespassers and thieves at bay.

Brother Geno.... I am shocked to learn you are a racist..... damn never saw that coming... smile smile

Brandon has changed quite a bit over the years, no?

From an out and out racist, to the "clean negro stage" and now to the woke part.

Me, having grown up near the border in the SoCal area, having worked for years in a very "diverse" workforce industry, I could GAS about what color a person's skin is. As long as they do their job.....................

and if they live in my neighborhood....................

They better be clean and quiet. No fleabag baying hounds and such.

And wash your vehicles.................at least once a year................whether they need it or not..............like I do.

Rained here the other day...............the Tacoma might be able to go for another 3 months or so............it got a good rinse.

Cheers !

I'd love that...BUT. Most of the folks here know my luck. Someone would develop a gravel plant on the adjacent property. The kind where they grind big rocks into small rocks all day and night long. Either that or someone would develop a trailer park that has a bunch of meth mouths for residents. Nothing more fun than working 24/7 to keep trespassers and thieves at bay.

trespassers and thieves you say.

I went out to feed my jays and quail this morning and notice some @%&^*)# squirrel has dug up and eaten some tulip bulbs I had scattered under some of the junipers around the house. They look nice, especially in bloom if there's a little snow on the ground.

I think I dislike the squirrels more than dirty and noisy neighbors...............it's kind of a toss up though.

Here's one posted here, for a start. Was there even a need for this type of court case?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17335261/an-elephant-isnt-a-person

Brandon has changed quite a bit over the years, no?

From an out and out racist, to the "clean negro stage" and now to the woke part.

Me, having grown up near the border in the SoCal area, having worked for years in a very "diverse" workforce industry, I could GAS about what color a person's skin is. As long as they do their job.....................

and if they live in my neighborhood....................

They better be clean and quiet. No fleabag baying hounds and such.

And wash your vehicles.................at least once a year................whether they need it or not..............like I do.

Rained here the other day...............the Tacoma might be able to go for another 3 months or so............it got a good rinse.

As a fellow member of "the great unwashed" I understand... smile
You would think by now they would understand the racist charge is over played and ineffective... but noooo...
Well, at least I didn't ask about letting them damn Eskimos into the hood.

Talk about unwashed.

An' alla them dirt bikes are anything but quiet.
HOA: Home Owners Association.
I'm not in an HOA. My house and the land that it sits on is paid for. I don't need some HOA telling me what to do. I don't understand why people would surrender their property rights. We already have the government sticking its nose in our bussiness.

Sheeple just love giving up their rights for a false sense of security.
Bend over the barrel and hope that HOA Karen uses some K-Y jelly when she sticks her 14 inch strap-on in all the way!

Here's one posted here, for a start. Was there even a need for this type of court case?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17335261/an-elephant-isnt-a-person

A ridiculous case about an elephant does not mean that all laws are unintelligibly vague until every word therein has been parsed in a binding court precedent.

Your proffered exception does not invalidate the rule.

A ridiculous case about an elephant does not mean that all laws are unintelligibly vague until every word therein has been parsed in a binding court precedent.

Please show me where/when I said "all laws are unintelligibly vague ".
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I'm not in an HOA. My house and the land that it sits on is paid for. I don't need some HOA telling me what to do. I don't understand why people would surrender their property rights. We already have the government sticking its nose in our bussiness.

Let me provide a different perspective. I love having room to roam...hike and bicycle. I love fishing. I love not having to worry about theft/break-ins. I love being surrounded by nature. I wish I could afford to buy a place that offered me all of that. I can't.

I bought 3 acres on a lake in an HOA community. The community offers over 17 miles of hiking and biking trails. It has 4 community lakes. A creek with a waterfall flows through the middle of the community. The average lot size is over 4 acres. There are nearly 1000 acres of community property at my disposal. My road is private and it's gated. I have access to a clubhouse for family reunions etc.

My agreement with the community is pretty straightforward simple and non-burdensome. I have to build a house of at least 1400 square feet. I can't have livestock, which I wouldn't have had anyway...other than maybe some laying hens. I have to maintain my property to certain standards which I would do anyway. I can't tie a barking dog to a tree in my yard. I can't hunt in the community. There are other very reasonable restrictions that won't affect me at all.

I have assurances that my neighbors property won't be an eyesore and that they can't create a bunch of noise that breaches the peace of the community.

The bottom line is that I get way more than I am giving up, and I am doing it on a modest budget. In other words, what I am surrendering in "property rights" pales in comparison to what I get in return for agreeing to very simple covenants.

I don't live in an HOA but remember the HOA's exists BEFORE folks buy in. They know the RULES before moving there. If buyers don't like the HOA its real simple not to buy that piece of property. This thread has a lot of internet tough guys chest thumping over something that is no big deal.
Originally Posted by losttrail60

I don't live in an HOA but remember the HOA's exists BEFORE folks buy in. They know the RULES before moving there. If buyers don't like the HOA its real simple not to buy that piece of property. This thread has a lot of internet tough guys chest thumping over something that is no big deal.
Exactly. Before I bought my house the first question I asked is if their is an HOA. If their was I would not have bought the place.

Did you read Hudge's post back on page one or two?

The problem with, let's use the "some" word, HOA's is that the Rules might change, aren't clearly written, and can be seen by many as ridiculously petty.

Wait until the HOA or a resident pulls hinky schit... then lawyers get involved and the fun begins... saying it doesn't happen is a lie. Happened twice in 4 yrs in my 9 lot HOA and once previous before we separated from a larger HOA.... lawyers love it. I had countless phone conversations/emails and several sit down visits with lawyers over this crap.
If I wasn't so stubborn I would have sold and moved, several did. I stayed and fought and won.... HOA is gone. Crazy part is it actually improves my property value. Not being in an HOA is a huge selling point around these parts now.

Let me provide a different perspective. I love having room to roam...hike and bicycle. I love fishing. I love not having to worry about theft/break-ins. I love being surrounded by nature. I wish I could afford to buy a place that offered me all of that. I can't.

I bought 3 acres on a lake in an HOA community. The community offers over 17 miles of hiking and biking trails. It has 4 community lakes. A creek with a waterfall flows through the middle of the community. The average lot size is over 4 acres. There are nearly 1000 acres of community property at my disposal. My road is private and it's gated. I have access to a clubhouse for family reunions etc.

My agreement with the community is pretty straightforward simple and non-burdensome. I have to build a house of at least 1400 square feet. I can't have livestock, which I wouldn't have had anyway...other than maybe some laying hens. I have to maintain my property to certain standards which I would do anyway. I can't tie a barking dog to a tree in my yard. I can't hunt in the community. There are other very reasonable restrictions that won't affect me at all.

I have assurances that my neighbors property won't be an eyesore and that they can't create a bunch of noise that breaches the peace of the community.

The bottom line is that I get way more than I am giving up, and I am doing it on a modest budget. In other words, what I am surrendering in "property rights" pales in comparison to what I get in return for agreeing to very simple covenants.

Happy for you and hope that all works out.

I just can't live with that many "rules"

They probably wouldn't approve of the chicken Gulag there, and I'm too poor to afford a fancy hen house that meets some folks standards of decorum.

Exactly. Before I bought my house the first question I asked is if their is an HOA. If their was I would not have bought the place.

This is bullshit!
People interpret the rules different.... then lawsuits, lawyers and courts get involved... over different interpretation plainly worded of rules
Posted By: JeffA Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/14/22
Let me provide a different perspective.

[Linked Image]

Wait until the HOA or a resident pulls hinky schit... then lawyers get involved and the fun begins... saying it doesn't happen is a lie. Happened twice in 4 yrs in my 9 lot HOA and once previous before we separated from a larger HOA.... lawyers love it. I had countless phone conversations/emails and several sit down visits with lawyers over this crap.
If I wasn't so stubborn I would have sold and moved, several did. I stayed and fought and won.... HOA is gone. Crazy part is it actually improves my property value. Not being in an HOA is a huge selling point around these parts now.

Well.......................duh..............right?

Glad you had the will and financial resources to fight the bastids and that those that left had the resources to make the move. Some folks don't after investing in a home only find out there's "hinky schit" (as you rightly refer to it) later down the road. Then they're screwed.

I might like a fella like you in my hood.

Did you read Hudge's post back on page one or two?

The problem with, let's use the "some" word, HOA's is that the Rules might change, aren't clearly written, and can be seen by many as ridiculously petty.

So some are worried about whataboutisms? Its real easy to tell if the HOA rules aren't clearly written, and the ability to change rules should be spelled out. I have looked at plenty of HOA propertys. I passed if I did not like the way the HOA spelled out the rules. It is real simple.
Posted By: tdbob Re: how to get back at your HOA - 06/14/22
The worst government (including HOA's) to have is the one that's closest to home.

This is bullshit!
People interpret the rules different.... then lawsuits, lawyers and courts get involved... over different interpretation plainly worded of rules

And of course that sort of stuff never happens outside of communities with covenants. Never has been a lawsuit over interpretation county or municipal code. lolol

This is bullshit!

LOL. If the HOA rules are done properly there is no "interpretation, except for confused old guys. Read the rules and don't buy if you don't like it. I have done it many time. Its not tough.

Again worrying about whataboutisms.

The ones that complain are the ones that buy the property without the ability to understand the rules then gripe when the rules they agreed to are enforced.

Paul, I have the same things you do. Lots of room to roam around no worrys about break ins and the freedom to do what I want. And yes we still have a few restrictions too. We also can't raise live stock on the property. The problem I have is that I've heard to many horror stories about HOAs. You are very fortunate to have a good one. The most important thing is that you are happy with where you are living and obviously you found the right place.

This is bullshit!

And of course that sort of stuff never happens outside of communities with covenants. Never has been a lawsuit over interpretation county or municipal code. lolol

Never happened in my previous 50 yrs of not belonging to an HOA.
Thing is like others have pointed out read the covenants before you buy, understand them etc.... I had never been in an HOA before, I read all the rules.
They seemed reasonable and simple and were easy to abide by.... then the HOA Nazi's took over the board... wasted $50k of banked assessments that were designated for road maintenance, to install an electronic gate, so we could be a gated community, this was done by a handful of Calif.gov. pensioners
They did this in violation of the CC&R's .
Once I controlled the board I destroyed the infrastructure they had already installed for the gate. Then I proceeded to make their lives so miserable they couldn't get me and my neighbors out of the HOA fast enough.
My foolish neighbors still wanted an HOA so I formed a new one, it was necessary to get them to agree to leave the old one. I did all the work and was president, wife was secretary, all for an HOA I didn't want. Well all the residents that wanted the HOA sold their lots. Two lawsuits later, the new residents saw the wisdom of dissolving the new HOA.
So I dissolved it.... then they asked what about snow plowing and road maintenance? I laughed and told them they had better buy a plow and I didn't care if the road went back to dirt.... lmao
Second best thing I ever did to improve my life. You city fuuckers can have your HOA's

This is bullshit!

LOL. If the HOA rules are done properly there is no "interpretation, except for confused old guys. Read the rules and don't buy if you don't like it. I have done it many time. Its not tough.

Again worrying about whataboutisms.

The ones that complain are the ones that buy the property without the ability to understand the rules then gripe when the rules they agreed to are enforced.

You're an idiot.... I have been on both sides of the legal battles as a board and a member.... I broke zero rules in both roles, yet we still needed lawyers to sort out the rule breakers.
Then I proceeded to make their lives so miserable

Sounds like you are a great neighbor and real fun at parties. Miserable old coot like your self should probably live with no neighbors. LOL

Sounds like you are a great neighbor and real fun at parties. Miserable old coot like your self should probably live with no neighbors. LOL

Calling out rule breakers to their face in front of people is never not fun.... my neighbors love me and respect me... something you liberals will never understand

Calling out rule breakers to their face in front of people is never not fun.... my neighbors love me and respect me... something you liberals will never understand
Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

Seems he's lost the trail alright.
I broke zero rules in both roles, .

I destroyed the infrastructure they had already installed for the gate.

You sound like a great neighbor.

As for the old coot part, I am getting there... SS in a couple years .. woohoo
As for not having neighbors, you are correct, the smallest lot in our subdivision is 6 acres heavily wooded. I cannot see any houses from my house and a few neighbors I have not seen in years.... I found out who the turds were , the HOA caused them to float to the surface... lmao

Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

Reading his post leads me to believe he is a full blown liberal... probably the type that move to rural conservative places , then vote for Democrats to turn it into what they left

Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

Reading his post leads me to believe he is a full blown liberal... probably the type that move to rural conservative places , then vote for Democrats to turn it into what they left

Wrong yet again. Been in Montana longer then you have been alive. I have never lived in an HOA, I just can't understand why folks find them so hard to avoid.

Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

I don't know about that. Maybe he is, maybe not. Hasn't been around long and I'm not going to go through his other posts to find out. Might be another puppet even.

But, there are a couple of folks on here that aren't making the connection.

There's nothing wrong, per se, with HOAs and CCRs. On the face of it they could (and should?) be beneficial to the community. The problem lies with that "interpretation" thing, and as you so rightly pointed out, with folks running the show and wanting to do things their way.

The real problem lies in ..................................................................PEOPLE..............................

a good portion of them are azzhats, and unfortunately they don't have that tattooed on their foreheads as they should. Especially after being caught being so the first time.

Anyone want to know my opinion of most folks? (not you bro, you already have a clue)

See my sig line poem.

Please show me where/when I said "all laws are unintelligibly vague ".

Please show me where/when I said that you said "all laws are unintelligibly vague."
. The problem lies with that "interpretation" thing,

That's no more a problem with HOA's than any other part of life.

"Well, officer, that's your interpretation that I was 'speeding'."

That won't work there either. There is no need for you personally to admit to the definition of something for it to apply to you or anybody else.

Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

The insults come out when people get frustrated, usually because they run out of argument.

Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

The insults come out when people get frustrated, usually because they run out of argument.

Your input is appreciated.

Paul, I have the same things you do. Lots of room to roam around no worrys about break ins and the freedom to do what I want. And yes we still have a few restrictions too. We also can't raise live stock on the property. The problem I have is that I've heard to many horror stories about HOAs. You are very fortunate to have a good one. The most important thing is that you are happy with where you are living and obviously you found the right place.

I haven't built yet. Waiting will give me a while to feel the HOA out. It seems like a pretty good one but who knows? With my financial situation, I could never have what the community offers had I not bought into it. The way my luck goes, I'll be posting about how much I hate the damn HOA in 5-10 years, and it won't hurt my feelings when y'all call me a dumbass. lol.

I haven't built yet. Waiting will give me a while to feel the HOA out. It seems like a pretty good one but who knows? With my financial situation, I could never have what the community offers had I not bought into it. The way my luck goes, I'll be posting about how much I hate the damn HOA in 5-10 years, and it won't hurt my feelings when y'all call me a dumbass. lol.

Paul,

can I get in early and be the first?

Dumbass laugh

Odds are you'll do OK, but just in case I wanted to be Travis on this one.
I mean golly...what's the big deal?

Can't you just go around them?
No.

we are sending them to your area.

Complete with easily interpreted rules!
Our neighborhood has some unofficial "covenants"- - - -mostly requiring that anyone who lives here is encouraged to shoot as much, and as often as possible. I have a 300 yard firing range and I've hosted as many as 55 shooters on a 3 day summer weekend for the past 15 years. The neighbor half a mile south shoots 500 yards on his range, and the new guy a quarter mile north has a 600 yard range and a bunch of class III toys. The bunny hugger up the hill hates all of us, and the damyankee from Baltimore across the road who just bought 120 acres and has not a clue what to do with it is astounded that he's living in America now. I'm pretty sure he's going to come around to the prevailing attitude, however. His wife is already a true believer!

Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

Your input is appreciated.

You lie, but I'll take it 😏.
Paul,

can I get in early and be the first?

Dumbass laugh

Odds are you'll do OK, but just in case I wanted to be Travis on this one.

Ha, feel free to get in a few more when the time comes.

Best of luck Paul. I can understand for all the reasons you posted why a guy would be attracted to a place with an HOA. That's just not me. I like to be left the hell alone, and I like to leave others the hell alone. Was a road association that was part of the deal when I bought this place. No rules, no covenants no nothing just everybody had to pay a couple hundred bucks a year that covered the permit paid to the King for the privilege of using a timber company road across the Kings Land to access our properties, and was supposed to cover the fuel cost for the residents that plowed the snow. I gave them the middle finger and am paying 4 times as much per year now to the King for the aforementioned privilege, but am not beholden to any other [bleep]ûcker. I have 4wheel drive and 10 plies on all my vehicles and good neighbors that'll help if I'm out of town and the wife or kid needs out, and I do the same for them. It's much better this way. As soon as there is a government, whether it's a HOA or larger you get slackers that are in it for an easy ride, and cûnty folks that need to exert some kind of control because their own life is a flaming pile of dogshît.
I dont understand the people that care what their neighbor does with their own property. I don't care if their house is clown orange, not my property. I don't care if they don't cut their grass, not my property. The only one thing that I give a damn about is not hearing noise from the outside world when I'm inside my house at night. Somebody that does that continually can be dealt with in other ways. Most people that belong to a HOA and get pissed when others don't follow the rules are mostly just the type that get mad that other people are daring and willing enough to do their own thing. Some people hate when others don't follow lock step like they do, such as the mask wearers showed during covid. They assume that a person that wants to do their own thing just means they're defiant and that rules don't apply to them. That sticks in some people's craw. Others can't live without being told how to do so. I'm a firm believer in minding my own business. Cracks me up when people talk about a neighbor lowering their property value when they're not even trying to sell their house anyways.
If you're going to continue to live in the neighborhood f ucking with the HOA isn't a terribly intelligent thing to do.

The part you seem unable to comprehend is serving on the board is an elected position. If my neighbors hated me they wouldn't not only ask me to run again but vote for me.
It's an unpaid position, so serving the community sort of thing.
The thing is I just want to be left the hell alone, I am a live let live kinda guy.
Not sure that makes me a miserable old coot ?.... but hey it's your stereotype... so you go girl

The part you seem unable to comprehend is serving on the board is an elected position. If my neighbors hated me they wouldn't not only ask me to run again but vote for me.
It's an unpaid position, so serving the community sort of thing.
The thing is I just want to be left the hell alone, I am a live let live kinda guy.
Not sure that makes me a miserable old coot ?.... but hey it's your stereotype... so you go girl

Some folks don't read or care to. Or maybe their level of reading comprehension is pretty low. OR they don't care and have prefilled notions and want to the world to hear what they have to say, even if it's like a retarded kid hollering for another cup of pudding.

Not HOA relevant but we have a commercial campground facility on the other side of town. Immediately adjacent to the highway with big rigs, jake brakes, and sirens all hours of the day. Their greatest complaint: Can't get to sleep in the spring with those frogs calling all night long.
There are some good arguments for and against HOAs to be learned here…I guess it does just depend on if the gain is worth the cost to each individual.

My mom lives in a HOA and has no issues with having limited numbers of livestock, all of my dead animals hung up and skinned, me trapping in the back pasture and riding 4 wheelers all over. It is nice to have the insurance that Jethro doesn’t move in next door and drop everyone else’s property values.
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Cracks me up when people talk about a neighbor lowering their property value when they're not even trying to sell their house anyways.

Just because a person isn’t actively trying to sell their property doesn’t mean they don’t have a reason to care about the aesthetics of where they live.

Hang these at every house and send out a fake HOA letter stating it is a new requirement.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Cracks me up when people talk about a neighbor lowering their property value when they're not even trying to sell their house anyways.

Just because a person isn’t actively trying to sell their property doesn’t mean they don’t have a reason to care about the aesthetics of where they live.
And they can care about the aesthetics of their own property all they want. Their neighbors yard is none of their concern.
The bottom line is if you want complete control and privacy buy enough land to insure that

And they can care about the aesthetics of their own property all they want. Their neighbors yard is none of their concern.

I disagree.
If a person decides to buy into a HOA for the reasons outlined in this thread and then some, their HOA neighbor’s yard can be of their concern. If the neighbor agreed to the terms laid out by the HOA then they should abide by them.

If a guy wants a pigsty for a home, go for it but they shouldn’t buy into a HOA that forbids that kind of living and not expect to be hassled about it. Those neighbors have every right to bitch in that particular situation.

Cheers !

You sound paranoid.

LOL

The lower the perceived value, the lower the taxes!
© 24hourcampfire