Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Remsen
One of the most obvious flaws with the laws is this: If you're a judge and you are presented with a motion (or whatever else they submit to obtain the order), and it's not an obvious case, such as a chick who is wandering around with a gun yelling "I'm going to kill the first person I see today", how do you weigh the risk, to your reputation, of granting the order versus not? Most judges are going to rubber stamp the requests simply because there's very little downside in granting the order but massive downside in the rare case where it doesn't look like a situation where the person is going to snap but she does anyway.

This is, unfortunately, how our judicial system works most of the time.
Prezactly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
WS,

That's a Trump quote. That foul decision is what got Nancy Floozy to clap her hands and smile like a little girl who just got a pony for her birthday. Gun owners should have not tolerated that, but the NRA started by announcing that we should have some form of Red Flag Laws.
Not Nancy, it was the biggest gun grabber in the senate Dianne
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
WS,

That's a Trump quote. That foul decision is what got Nancy Floozy to clap her hands and smile like a little girl who just got a pony for her birthday. Gun owners should have not tolerated that, but the NRA started by announcing that we should have some form of Red Flag Laws.
Not Nancy, it was the biggest gun grabber in the senate Dianne
Thanks for the correction. I was going from memory.
We need that reminder from time to time so we don't let our rights slip so easily.
This is what I noticed happens when any pres, R or D, oversteps their authority. Good intentions should never Trump the constitutional boundaries...
The saddest thing is that it set a president for every dictator in office from here on out.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gents,
Almost every states has something called a guardian of the body. They is a court appointed individual for someone who is found to be incapacitated. Couple this with an emergency and you can get temporary orders without what we consider due process. However, there are specific rights concerning these situations. I’ve petitioned and opposed 100 of guardianships over the last twenty years. Bottom line, an energy guardianship is what is now being called a red flag law, and they’ve been around for a very long time. The entire “RED FLAG” laws is a red hearing serving someone’s agenda. Stirring up the base?

Last edited by 40O; 06/13/22.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by gunzo
Red flag laws are most definitely flawed, but couple them with no knock warrants & that's when the SHTF.
And combine it with the growth of the activity known as SWATTING, and you have real trouble. That's when you make a false report designed to result in a house being SWATTED because they oppose the resident's politics, or political activity. It's calculated to bring about the death of your target. Happens pretty regularly across the nation.

Tim Poole has been "SWATTed" NINE TIMES already so far this year. You'd think by now the stupid cops would have it figured out....

It is going to get SOOOO much worse with red flag "laws".

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flashback to the 2016 Obama gun grab.

At least the liberal reporter lives up to his last name... laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Such laws violate the constitution totally.
Yep. They absolutely do. They can also get you killed.

A speeding citation carries the death penalty - keep resisting the "judicial system" and you will be killed over that $100 fine.

Please explain. This is going to be good...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 06/13/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Remsen
One of the most obvious flaws with the laws is this: If you're a judge and you are presented with a motion (or whatever else they submit to obtain the order), and it's not an obvious case, such as a chick who is wandering around with a gun yelling "I'm going to kill the first person I see today", how do you weigh the risk, to your reputation, of granting the order versus not? Most judges are going to rubber stamp the requests simply because there's very little downside in granting the order but massive downside in the rare case where it doesn't look like a situation where the person is going to snap but she does anyway.

This is, unfortunately, how our judicial system works most of the time.
A similar problem exists with the naive "common sense" recommendation that a psych examination be required to obtain a firearm. This is not a quick and dirty test and/or interview, but requires a psychiatrist or psychologist with the specialized training to conduct such assessments. It is neither quick nor cheap. My guess is that such a law would allow it to be conducted by a variety of licensed clinicians: general practice physicians, PAs, nurse practitioners, "counselors", etc, without the specialized training. Like the judges mentioned by the OP, how many would risk an erroneous pass? How many would be biased against gun ownership? Not to mention the scarcity of qualified mental health professionals available to treat those who truly need help. An appointment for a firearms qualification exam? Sure, the doctor has an open appointment two years from now. It will cost $1000, not covered by insurance.

Not so simple or "common sense".

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.