Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I'm not in an HOA. My house and the land that it sits on is paid for. I don't need some HOA telling me what to do. I don't understand why people would surrender their property rights. We already have the government sticking its nose in our bussiness.

Sheeple just love giving up their rights for a false sense of security.

Let me provide a different perspective. I love having room to roam...hike and bicycle. I love fishing. I love not having to worry about theft/break-ins. I love being surrounded by nature. I wish I could afford to buy a place that offered me all of that. I can't.

I bought 3 acres on a lake in an HOA community. The community offers over 17 miles of hiking and biking trails. It has 4 community lakes. A creek with a waterfall flows through the middle of the community. The average lot size is over 4 acres. There are nearly 1000 acres of community property at my disposal. My road is private and it's gated. I have access to a clubhouse for family reunions etc.

My agreement with the community is pretty straightforward simple and non-burdensome. I have to build a house of at least 1400 square feet. I can't have livestock, which I wouldn't have had anyway...other than maybe some laying hens. I have to maintain my property to certain standards which I would do anyway. I can't tie a barking dog to a tree in my yard. I can't hunt in the community. There are other very reasonable restrictions that won't affect me at all.

I have assurances that my neighbors property won't be an eyesore and that they can't create a bunch of noise that breaches the peace of the community.

The bottom line is that I get way more than I am giving up, and I am doing it on a modest budget. In other words, what I am surrendering in "property rights" pales in comparison to what I get in return for agreeing to very simple covenants.
Paul, I have the same things you do. Lots of room to roam around no worrys about break ins and the freedom to do what I want. And yes we still have a few restrictions too. We also can't raise live stock on the property. The problem I have is that I've heard to many horror stories about HOAs. You are very fortunate to have a good one. The most important thing is that you are happy with where you are living and obviously you found the right place.

I haven't built yet. Waiting will give me a while to feel the HOA out. It seems like a pretty good one but who knows? With my financial situation, I could never have what the community offers had I not bought into it. The way my luck goes, I'll be posting about how much I hate the damn HOA in 5-10 years, and it won't hurt my feelings when y'all call me a dumbass. lol.

Paul,

can I get in early and be the first?

Dumbass laugh

Odds are you'll do OK, but just in case I wanted to be Travis on this one.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I mean golly...what's the big deal?

Can't you just go around them?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No.

we are sending them to your area.

Complete with easily interpreted rules!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Our neighborhood has some unofficial "covenants"- - - -mostly requiring that anyone who lives here is encouraged to shoot as much, and as often as possible. I have a 300 yard firing range and I've hosted as many as 55 shooters on a 3 day summer weekend for the past 15 years. The neighbor half a mile south shoots 500 yards on his range, and the new guy a quarter mile north has a 600 yard range and a bunch of class III toys. The bunny hugger up the hill hates all of us, and the damyankee from Baltimore across the road who just bought 120 acres and has not a clue what to do with it is astounded that he's living in America now. I'm pretty sure he's going to come around to the prevailing attitude, however. His wife is already a true believer!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Then I proceeded to make their lives so miserable

Sounds like you are a great neighbor and real fun at parties. Miserable old coot like your self should probably live with no neighbors. LOL

Calling out rule breakers to their face in front of people is never not fun.... my neighbors love me and respect me... something you liberals will never understand
Not to worry perhaps?

his "handle" says a lot.

Seems he's lost the trail alright.

The insults come out when people get frustrated, usually because they run out of argument.

Your input is appreciated.

You lie, but I'll take it 😏.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul,

can I get in early and be the first?

Dumbass laugh

Odds are you'll do OK, but just in case I wanted to be Travis on this one.

Ha, feel free to get in a few more when the time comes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm not in an HOA. My house and the land that it sits on is paid for. I don't need some HOA telling me what to do. I don't understand why people would surrender their property rights. We already have the government sticking its nose in our bussiness.

Sheeple just love giving up their rights for a false sense of security.

Let me provide a different perspective. I love having room to roam...hike and bicycle. I love fishing. I love not having to worry about theft/break-ins. I love being surrounded by nature. I wish I could afford to buy a place that offered me all of that. I can't.

I bought 3 acres on a lake in an HOA community. The community offers over 17 miles of hiking and biking trails. It has 4 community lakes. A creek with a waterfall flows through the middle of the community. The average lot size is over 4 acres. There are nearly 1000 acres of community property at my disposal. My road is private and it's gated. I have access to a clubhouse for family reunions etc.

My agreement with the community is pretty straightforward simple and non-burdensome. I have to build a house of at least 1400 square feet. I can't have livestock, which I wouldn't have had anyway...other than maybe some laying hens. I have to maintain my property to certain standards which I would do anyway. I can't tie a barking dog to a tree in my yard. I can't hunt in the community. There are other very reasonable restrictions that won't affect me at all.

I have assurances that my neighbors property won't be an eyesore and that they can't create a bunch of noise that breaches the peace of the community.

The bottom line is that I get way more than I am giving up, and I am doing it on a modest budget. In other words, what I am surrendering in "property rights" pales in comparison to what I get in return for agreeing to very simple covenants.
Paul, I have the same things you do. Lots of room to roam around no worrys about break ins and the freedom to do what I want. And yes we still have a few restrictions too. We also can't raise live stock on the property. The problem I have is that I've heard to many horror stories about HOAs. You are very fortunate to have a good one. The most important thing is that you are happy with where you are living and obviously you found the right place.

I haven't built yet. Waiting will give me a while to feel the HOA out. It seems like a pretty good one but who knows? With my financial situation, I could never have what the community offers had I not bought into it. The way my luck goes, I'll be posting about how much I hate the damn HOA in 5-10 years, and it won't hurt my feelings when y'all call me a dumbass. lol.

Best of luck Paul. I can understand for all the reasons you posted why a guy would be attracted to a place with an HOA. That's just not me. I like to be left the hell alone, and I like to leave others the hell alone. Was a road association that was part of the deal when I bought this place. No rules, no covenants no nothing just everybody had to pay a couple hundred bucks a year that covered the permit paid to the King for the privilege of using a timber company road across the Kings Land to access our properties, and was supposed to cover the fuel cost for the residents that plowed the snow. I gave them the middle finger and am paying 4 times as much per year now to the King for the aforementioned privilege, but am not beholden to any other [bleep]ûcker. I have 4wheel drive and 10 plies on all my vehicles and good neighbors that'll help if I'm out of town and the wife or kid needs out, and I do the same for them. It's much better this way. As soon as there is a government, whether it's a HOA or larger you get slackers that are in it for an easy ride, and cûnty folks that need to exert some kind of control because their own life is a flaming pile of dogshît.

MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I dont understand the people that care what their neighbor does with their own property. I don't care if their house is clown orange, not my property. I don't care if they don't cut their grass, not my property. The only one thing that I give a damn about is not hearing noise from the outside world when I'm inside my house at night. Somebody that does that continually can be dealt with in other ways. Most people that belong to a HOA and get pissed when others don't follow the rules are mostly just the type that get mad that other people are daring and willing enough to do their own thing. Some people hate when others don't follow lock step like they do, such as the mask wearers showed during covid. They assume that a person that wants to do their own thing just means they're defiant and that rules don't apply to them. That sticks in some people's craw. Others can't live without being told how to do so. I'm a firm believer in minding my own business. Cracks me up when people talk about a neighbor lowering their property value when they're not even trying to sell their house anyways.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're going to continue to live in the neighborhood f ucking with the HOA isn't a terribly intelligent thing to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like you are a great neighbor and real fun at parties. Miserable old coot like your self should probably live with no neighbors. LOL

The part you seem unable to comprehend is serving on the board is an elected position. If my neighbors hated me they wouldn't not only ask me to run again but vote for me.
It's an unpaid position, so serving the community sort of thing.
The thing is I just want to be left the hell alone, I am a live let live kinda guy.
Not sure that makes me a miserable old coot ?.... but hey it's your stereotype... so you go girl

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The part you seem unable to comprehend is serving on the board is an elected position. If my neighbors hated me they wouldn't not only ask me to run again but vote for me.
It's an unpaid position, so serving the community sort of thing.
The thing is I just want to be left the hell alone, I am a live let live kinda guy.
Not sure that makes me a miserable old coot ?.... but hey it's your stereotype... so you go girl

Some folks don't read or care to. Or maybe their level of reading comprehension is pretty low. OR they don't care and have prefilled notions and want to the world to hear what they have to say, even if it's like a retarded kid hollering for another cup of pudding.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
some city people would bitch about noisy sprinklers

Not HOA relevant but we have a commercial campground facility on the other side of town. Immediately adjacent to the highway with big rigs, jake brakes, and sirens all hours of the day. Their greatest complaint: Can't get to sleep in the spring with those frogs calling all night long.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are some good arguments for and against HOAs to be learned here…I guess it does just depend on if the gain is worth the cost to each individual.

My mom lives in a HOA and has no issues with having limited numbers of livestock, all of my dead animals hung up and skinned, me trapping in the back pasture and riding 4 wheelers all over. It is nice to have the insurance that Jethro doesn’t move in next door and drop everyone else’s property values.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Cracks me up when people talk about a neighbor lowering their property value when they're not even trying to sell their house anyways.

Just because a person isn’t actively trying to sell their property doesn’t mean they don’t have a reason to care about the aesthetics of where they live.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hang these at every house and send out a fake HOA letter stating it is a new requirement.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Cracks me up when people talk about a neighbor lowering their property value when they're not even trying to sell their house anyways.

Just because a person isn’t actively trying to sell their property doesn’t mean they don’t have a reason to care about the aesthetics of where they live.
And they can care about the aesthetics of their own property all they want. Their neighbors yard is none of their concern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bottom line is if you want complete control and privacy buy enough land to insure that

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

And they can care about the aesthetics of their own property all they want. Their neighbors yard is none of their concern.

I disagree.
If a person decides to buy into a HOA for the reasons outlined in this thread and then some, their HOA neighbor’s yard can be of their concern. If the neighbor agreed to the terms laid out by the HOA then they should abide by them.

If a guy wants a pigsty for a home, go for it but they shouldn’t buy into a HOA that forbids that kind of living and not expect to be hassled about it. Those neighbors have every right to bitch in that particular situation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
What is this HOA of which you speak?

An insurance policy against this becoming your neighbor.

If you're worried about what's in your neighbors's yard, your lot is too small.

Yeah, 80+, rural acres is about right !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cheers !

I'd love that...BUT. Most of the folks here know my luck. Someone would develop a gravel plant on the adjacent property. The kind where they grind big rocks into small rocks all day and night long. Either that or someone would develop a trailer park that has a bunch of meth mouths for residents. Nothing more fun than working 24/7 to keep trespassers and thieves at bay.

You sound paranoid.

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The lower the perceived value, the lower the taxes!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.