Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've started shopping for a bow setup, shot a couple of bows, bought a release.

I have 20/15 corrected vision but need reading glasses to eat. Without them I just blindly stab the plate etc. The five pin set up I tried wasn't easy to focus on and use. I can't be the only one with this issue.

I have no idea how I'm going to see sight pins without my reading glasses...how do others manage to use sights/which ones to buy and use etc.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They make peep sights that you can put different size magnifiers in.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I also find this interesting. I have progressive bifocals glasses, that I find challenging shooting the Bow also.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You need a “Verifier” peep from Speciality Archery with a lens - this lens allows you to see the pins clearly and your target in most lighting conditions.

The peep takes lens numbered #1 - #7, each one getting stronger. They are also marked with a colored paint drop, I’m do for an upgrade this year, the Purple #5 is getting fuzzy again.

I’ve been using one for over ten years, and yes - I need reading cheaters… about 1.75 to 2.0

Your local pro shop should have them in stock - they’re pretty standard equipment. If the shop is stocked right - they’ll have “stick” with all seven lens in it, you can test the lens with your bow and pins before you swap anything out.

The target bow tournament crowd uses the same peep housing with a “Clarifier” lens for scoped target sights.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/14/22.
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks super helpful. I never asked the tech about it while I was there. Every question I asked was met with an avalanche of great information but I was running out of time.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sucks getting older, but beats the alternative. I ask my eye doc about this last year. He pulled out a 100 year old box of little paddles with different sized holes in them. He held one paddle up near my eye and had another paddle with a messy blob on it ~2' away. As the holes got smaller the messy blob became more and more clear and was actually letters. He told me that using a smaller and smaller hole in the first paddle near your eye focused the light into the center of your eye and made it more clear. The same thing works with peep sights, the smaller the hole the more focused the light and the more clear your pins will be. Where this becomes a challenge is trying to center your housing in the peep. Try several sizes and see if it makes a difference. Shooting outdoors also usually helps because your pupil is smaller and the light is more concentrated.

Verifiers work great to clear up your pins, but I loose focus of the target. Scopes and clarifiers are the best overall but not very handy for a hunting setup. Whatever you choose will probably be a compromise.

One other thing you might try are the patches with different sized holes on them that stick on your glasses. Work in the same way as noted above. Pistol shooters have some success with this method.

Last edited by centershot; 06/15/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me the string peep is just a fuzzy blob that I can't even define the center. I've gone with a holographic sight on my bow.

I use the different parts of the reticle for the distances. If you look at one be sure all the adjustments are on top or on the side away from the riser
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

On this set up the sight and the mount came in under $50.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by centershot
Verifiers work great to clear up your pins, but I loose focus of the target. .

I have a couple of comments from my use - the purpose of the Verifier is to have both target and pins in ~ focus, and it works well IF you have the right lens - it does take a bit of testing to see what lens works for you.

I have found that if I'm overly tired, stressed, or in allergy season - the clarity of the lens can change, but rarely to the point where I need to worry, eye fatigue is a "thing".

If the target is out of focus, and the pins are in focus - typically you're above the correct lens number, at least in my experience.

If the target is in focus, and the pins are still blobs - you're below the correct lens number.

Point being - a quick few minutes in the store with a lens is different than being out in the woods - you need to test the lens you select before heading to the hunt.

I've taken four elk, and multiple deer with the setup - it does work for me, but YMMV.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/16/22.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I shoot with either progressives or single Rx lenses.

I've tried a verifier (silver which I believe is the lowest power) but inasmuch as it absolutely makes a HUGE difference on pin clarity, I can't use it as I shoot both eyes open and the target is absolutely distorted.

When I close my left eye, the target blur is not worth seeing a clear pin. I'd rather float a blurred pin. Mine bloom more horizontally from the glasses. Took the verifier off after only shooting 3-4 arrows.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 06/20/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for the clarifier peep. I am lucky that I can use the weakest lens. The pins aren't sharply clear but plenty clear. My target is a little out of focus but not enough to hinder hunting at all. It was a game changer for me.I was to the point that my pins were too blurry to shoot accurately any more.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AH64guy
You need a “Verifier” peep from Speciality Archery with a lens - this lens allows you to see the pins clearly and your target in most lighting conditions.

The peep takes lens numbered #1 - #7, each one getting stronger. They are also marked with a colored paint drop, I’m do for an upgrade this year, the Purple #5 is getting fuzzy again.

I’ve been using one for over ten years, and yes - I need reading cheaters… about 1.75 to 2.0

Your local pro shop should have them in stock - they’re pretty standard equipment. If the shop is stocked right - they’ll have “stick” with all seven lens in it, you can test the lens with your bow and pins before you swap anything out.

The target bow tournament crowd uses the same peep housing with a “Clarifier” lens for scoped target sights.

Just got back from a trip, and first chance I had to log back on!
That's great advice, and others giving it their approval!
I will definitely check it out! Thanks for the Heads up, and great info!!!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would try a single pin set up and experiment with peep sizes to see if that helps you focus. You only have one to focus on that way. The brightest single pin I have tried is the HHA tetra.

Whatever sight you use would be zeroed at 20. Hunting, you could move the slider to 30 and know where your arrow hits at 20 and 40. Beyond 40 you’d have to adjust. I have a three pin slider (Montana Black Gold Ascent Verdict). The pins on the HHA are brighter to me indoors. You could maybe try a dovetail to move the pins further away and see if that helps. I’ve never used a lens kit or magnifier so can’t speak to that.

Isaiah 6:8

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Small peeps suck in the woods.
And....i have never used my peep w my sight pin housing
Ever.
Pin is center of peep, automatically, works fine to 60 yards.
However, when my eyes were good I ran a Fletcher peep, the Hunter size
They make bigger ones and going up a size does help in the woods but I noticed my group size past 30 was bigger

Plenty good enough for hunting but would be bad for 3D.

Of course nowadays I proly need a lens peep. Did put the receiver in my Hoyts string last yr, Havent decided on a lens. The peep alone did help some and I dont shoot 3d anymore, so 30 and under it was fine ....last yr.

Pin brightness. Multiple bright pins for me makes my eye focus there and the target behind can diffuse. Esp in the woods in less light ...deer fade away.

Single pin helps and i run a small on on an HHA. Adjustable housing for brighness is nice. But the vertical pin bothers me. I need to swap in a different front end.

Used a Viper multi pin and yanked all but one, so ended up w horizontal on my HHA. Also like no level. Dont need one.

Alas, sold that sight w my SBXT. Current bow, Hoyt, has new HHA sight not modified.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/13/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I put an EZ sight on my bow. I wear progressive bifocals. It works.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I fixed my issues, had cataract surgery, it’s amazing, can shoot like I’m 20 again.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’d try both a clarifier and a single pin adjustable sight.
Good luck.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dale06
I’d try both a clarifier and a single pin adjustable sight.
Good luck.
As my eyes get older, I struggle more every year with my multi-pin sight. I used a single pin years ago and thought it was great and am about ready to go back to it.

Forgot to mention - I've been wearing bifocals, trifocals and now progressives for 20+ years...

Last edited by JGray; 07/14/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No one will confuse me with a great bow shooter, but shooting peep with multiple pins and progressives is going well. Shooting to about 55 yards and intend to engage critters this fall at 40 or under. Got new progressives coming as these are a tad scratched up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 38 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.