Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So I’ve been looking at a couple of 22 mag semi auto rifles a Rossi for $299 and a CZ model 512 for $600 any input on either? Or anything better out there?

Last edited by RickcNY; 06/08/22.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Remington 597 LSHB and a Magnum Research Magnum-Lite, both in 22 WMR.

The Remington is very accurate...way more than I expected. I don't know if they offer them anymore, but mine has impressed me. It's on the heavier side and of course, the stock can be slippery.

For a hunting rifle, the Magnum Research is one of my favorites. I replaced the factory trigger with a Ruger BX, but outside of that, I've left it alone. It's in a Hogue rubber stock and has a carbon-wrapped barrel. With a Leupold 3-9x33, it's a lightweight little package that has killed a lot of what's been shot at with it. I almost never go to the farm without this rifle in the vehicle with me.

I also have a Ruger 10/22M that I bought used a few years ago. In factory trim, it was average at best. I happened to have a Boyd's laminate stock that I planned to put my Volquartsen 17HMR in, so I used that stock for the Ruger. I also had a Green Mountain barrel in 22 WMR that I'd planned to use on the Volquartsen to make it a switch barrel option. I also had an extra Ruger BX trigger that went into the Ruger Magnum.

That Ruger has shot more than a few sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I hardly ever shoot it these days, but it puts a smile on my face every time I take it out.

As far as the 2 rifles you mentioned, I can't speak for the Rossi but a few friends own the CZ and all of them seem pleased with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully they are magazine fed, and knot tube fed. I’ve got a kodiak tube fed and it jams , if you try to rush it.

Last edited by Whelenman; 06/08/22.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I've got a Remington 597 LSHB and a Magnum Research Magnum-Lite, both in 22 WMR.

The Remington is very accurate...way more than I expected. I don't know if they offer them anymore, but mine has impressed me. It's on the heavier side and of course, the stock can be slippery.

For a hunting rifle, the Magnum Research is one of my favorites. I replaced the factory trigger with a Ruger BX, but outside of that, I've left it alone. It's in a Hogue rubber stock and has a carbon-wrapped barrel. With a Leupold 3-9x33, it's a lightweight little package that has killed a lot of what's been shot at with it. I almost never go to the farm without this rifle in the vehicle with me.

I also have a Ruger 10/22M that I bought used a few years ago. In factory trim, it was average at best. I happened to have a Boyd's laminate stock that I planned to put my Volquartsen 17HMR in, so I used that stock for the Ruger. I also had a Green Mountain barrel in 22 WMR that I'd planned to use on the Volquartsen to make it a switch barrel option. I also had an extra Ruger BX trigger that went into the Ruger Magnum.

That Ruger has shot more than a few sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I hardly ever shoot it these days, but it puts a smile on my face every time I take it out.

As far as the 2 rifles you mentioned, I can't speak for the Rossi but a few friends own the CZ and all of them seem pleased with it.

Was the BX trigger a straight up drop in for the 10-22 magnum?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, a .223.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Hopefully they are magazine fed, and knot tube fed. I’ve got a kodiak tube fed and it jams , if you try to rush it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
One of these Kodiak 22 magnums?

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Kodiak 260 and have changed the cartridge lifter twice in an effort to get it to feed better. Couldn't recommend the Kodiak 260 to anyone who I didn't dislike.

I shoot called 'cats in tight cover with a Remington 597, the right tool for close 'cat encounters where reliable feeding is pretty important.

I've never seen a Rossi semi-auto in .22MAG. I've never owned one, but people who have the CZ 512s seem to like them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yes sir, it's a direct drop in. I didn't have to change anything other than the trigger group in both the Ruger Magnum and the Magnum Research. Both have been reliable with no issues.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
H&K 300 is the only way to go

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Semi auto loader? Too dangerous to own, says the Liberals.

A Volquartsen ain’t too shabby.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yes sir, it's a direct drop in. I didn't have to change anything other than the trigger group in both the Ruger Magnum and the Magnum Research. Both have been reliable with no issues.
Magnum Research improved their trigger, you might not need to replace it anymore.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Also look at the Savage A22m.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The BRNO ZKM 611 is pretty hard to beat. Just old school quality.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An LGS had one of those, gently used, about 15 years ago for $450. Still kicking myself over that one. Lovely rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pappy as long as you have that beautiful woman as your avatar I'm to distracted to read what your saying

Romans 5:1
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have owned 2 CZ 512's in 22 WMR: One was the CZ 512 American with 20 1/2" barrel and the other one (that I still own) is the CZ 512 Carbine with 16 1/2" barrel). The CZ American was the first one I owned and the only reason I sold it was because for a long time I could not find any 22 Mag ammo. So, in frustration I sold it. I currently own the Carbine model. After I bought it, I bought a ton of 22 Mag ammo, which had once again become available. Both of these were hunting accurate and reliable. Perhaps the only downside to them was that magazines are rather costly and the highest capacity available is 10 rounds. IMO though, the thing I like best about either version of the CZ's is how simple and easy they are to breakdown for cleaning. There have been complaints about the triggers but I've found that the Carbine has a better trigger than the original model I bought. Don't know if that is still the case. If you get a CZ, I don't think you'll be disappointed. FWIW the most accurate ammo to-date in my Carbine has been CCI's A22 ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by Whelenman
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
One of these Kodiak 22 magnums?

Mine is exactly like that one . The carbine version. I had a friend who had friend who 2 the rifle versions . As long as I keep mine clean it done well!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pappy348
An LGS had one of those, gently used, about 15 years ago for $450. Still kicking myself over that one. Lovely rifles.

I gave $800 for it a few summers ago delivered from a pawn shop in Bonners Ferry Idaho to my FFL in Bulverde Texas. A plus was it came with the standard six round magazine and a ten round magazine. I regretfully passed on one when I lived in Calgary for $300 in 2007.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ed… I saw one of those in 17hmr for sale online a few weeks ago. Would make a nice buddy for yours

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a Brno zkm 611 locally few months back for $700 with the factory 6 rd mag. About 99% Condition

Hard to beat for a 22 mag semi. As mentioned above the h&k 300 are quality as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 20 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.