Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC
Sorry for the ouch - but glad it was only an insect and not the "old rattlesnake" you sometimes mention. Hope the pain and swelling have started to clear away by now.

Speaking of - a few days ago one of my old treasures quit between the house and garage. Hot day here in the high desert.

Diagnosed a shorted starter cable, grabbed tools, got on the dirt and scrunched under to remove the starter/cable and part way through the job needed another tool. Got out from under and took my good old time getting what I needed.

Later scrunched under the truck again - had a strange feeling or notion - and just then the buzz of the rattle started. A diamondback about 4 ft. long needed some shade and had slithered in while i was gone - under the rear axle. It was tight under there and I was not about to try to kill that snake with a seven inch long wrench.

I probably set a record for hasty exit by an old dude - sprinted to the shed to get a rake - when i got back the coontail was rapidly headed under the fence for other parts. It was a no-harm draw this time.

Have experienced a couple of those type things myself. Once on side of the platform landing to a shed I had just been in, when I came back out with a rake he rattled right behind my heel. Another was after rinsing out a cooler I had brought home a turkey I shot, when I went to pick it up after draining and drying upside down, there was on in it.

Glad nothing happened under the truck.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Swelling and headache are symptoms of a hyper allergic reaction. Next sting could cause anaphylaxis or not.

I got bee hives and get stung often. One would think that I'd be immune by now, but I'm not. I'll have some swelling, where I got stung, and that's about it. Getting stung on the head is always worse, so I'll take it easy. I found that putting Silverdine on and around the sting site, it will reduce the swelling faster than any other thing I've tried. In a couple hours, it will be back to normal, or should be.

Sorry that they’re affecting you like that. Be careful……maybe a snapshot of things to come!

Growing-up in Louisiana, I’ve been stung by pretty much everything that Louisiana can throw at me and never really considered a Honey Bee sting relevant. Fast forward 45 years…..it’s way different now! Now a darn Honey Bee sting looks and hurts worse than Hornets, Yellow Jackets, and even Red Wasps. A few years ago one “popped” me on the cheek just beneath the rim of my glasses. Within a few hours I looked like Mike Tyson had hit me, whole side of my face swollen, discolored, eye swollen shut…..from a damn little Honey Bee! Oh, I failed to mention…..it hurt like hell! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by windridge
BENADRYL

Works for an actual allergic reaction (hives, systemic swelling, etc), but not a normal venom response (sting site swelling and pain)..

That's strange.

Dog got bit by a copperhead when he was a pup. Took him to the vet 'cause the bite was on his face.

They gave him a cortisone shot and a dose of Benadryl. Said if he got bitten again, don't bring him in, just give him the benadryl.

Then our other dog got copperhead bit on her remaining rear leg. I gave her a good dose of benadryl, and followed in the morning with another. By evening she was getting around fine, and no swelling.

Make sure it's pure Benadryl, not the "Plus" with the pain reliever.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by windridge
BENADRYL

Works for an actual allergic reaction (hives, systemic swelling, etc), but not a normal venom response (sting site swelling and pain)..

That's strange.

Dog got bit by a copperhead when he was a pup. Took him to the vet 'cause the bite was on his face.

They gave him a cortisone shot and a dose of Benadryl. Said if he got bitten again, don't bring him in, just give him the benadryl.

Then our other dog got copperhead bit on her remaining rear leg. I gave her a good dose of benadryl, and followed in the morning with another. By evening she was getting around fine, and no swelling.

Yep. Got stung by multiple Yellowjackets a few years ago while mowing around the house. Took 4 or 5 Benadryl tablets.
Works wonders for me.

That’s what the Campus ER Dr told me to do about 40
Years ago in College, when I ran over a huge mound of fire ants on a riding mower while shirtless. Had about 40 bites. Went to the TAMU “Quack Shack”, our nickname for the Campus Emergency Center. Doc had me take multiple Benadryl tablets then also.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/17/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What's the Benadryl dose for snakebites to the dogs? Is it by their weight?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenacp
What's the Benadryl dose for snakebites to the dogs? Is it by their weight?

She's about 65 pounds. I gave her 3 of the small capsules, and 3 more the next morning.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mark Shubert.... Rattle Snake didn't get me this time

Rockinbbar.... I got benadryl cream to put on stings and I got the capsules, but neither work for me. Cream is useless and the capsules make me sleepy. Silverdene works best. I put it on and around the area swelling and in a couple hours the swelling is gone.

CCCC.... I would have like to watch you crawl out from under the truck. Bet you set a new world record for the back-scrunch! Glad you're ok!

Who ever said to pee on it.... it hurts to much to kink the weiner to get it short enough to pee on my head!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I get hit with wasps regularly. The worst was a few years back now. Little green ground hornet hit me perfect between the eyes. Both eyes swelled almost shut ! I had pictures but the phone died that had them before I could transfer them. I killed hundreds of the big mahogany wasps winter before last that had gotten under my metal roof in the cold. There’s reflectix insulation under the metal they like. I went along the edge of the roof with wasp killer. The mahogany wasps are just starting to come back around my yard. Still plenty of the yellow paper wasps which get me regularly. Never ending battle with the wasps.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good thing it wasnt ginny ( i know, thats not the right spelling) wasps....

woooo wweeeeeee those things pack a punch.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A baking soda solution will counteract the venom. Might be tricky sticking your forehead in it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Y'all owe it to yourself to try putting a pinch of moist tobacco on the sting injury. Nothing works better.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Y'all owe it to yourself to try putting a pinch of moist tobacco on the sting injury. Nothing works better.

I chewed tobacco for 30 yrs and tried the tobacco thing lots of times... it didn't work for me. The sting hurts for a while, but that doesn't bother me too much, it's the swelling. When I get stung on the head or neck, I call it a day. The Silvadene, I think I finally spelled it right, will knock the swelling down in a couple of hours, but if I get to working too soon and get hot, I'll swell up again. That's why I called it a day. This morning I'm still swelled a little, but it doesn't bother me a bit.

Big Dave- I think ginny wasp hurt the most, also.

Last edited by Oldman03; 06/18/22.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am real allergic to bee stings. If I get stung on the hand, my whole arm will swell up. My father told me to cut some sumac down around the bee hives while he was at work.I got stung several times on the head. I ended up in the hospital for several days and it was touch and go if I would live

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have not tried chewing tobacco. However, I have used cigarette tobacco, two dozen times, on five different people, and EVERY TIME it worked the same. In 30 seconds the pain was gone. In two minutes, the redness and swelling disappeared.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have not tried chewing tobacco. However, I have used cigarette tobacco, two dozen times, on five different people, and EVERY TIME it worked the same. In 30 seconds the pain was gone. In two minutes, the redness and swelling disappeared.

Ah! Maybe that's it because I never smoked. I got a friend that smokes and I'll get a cigarette from him to try. Cant hurt!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
One story that always gets me doubled over is to hear my cousin tell of the time that he shot at a hornet nest with a. 22 while squirrel hunting. Said he watched the defender coming at him butt first in his scope but didn't have time to react. Told me it felt like getting hit between the eyes with a ball peen hammer.

Last edited by kenoh2; 06/18/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope your better...and, I'm impressed with the number on beekeepers on this site - that it something that I'd always wanted to learn about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried tobacco, can't say it worked,
Baking soda paste didn't work for me.
Meat tenderizer didn't work either.
Wife's farmer Dad had me try bleach on a red ant sting- didn't work.
Taking 2 or 3 Benadryl's would have me out of action for three days.

I only once got stung by something that stayed painful many hours later, all the way until I went to bed. Had me concerned and was relieved in the morning.
I have red wasps around as well as those intimidating Cicada killers, plain ole yellow jackets, and even a copperhead. No clue what got me but dang....

The only time I had what I would call a reaction was by some small bee\wasp (still had stinger) thing that I rode into on my motorcyle years ago. Hit me with authority.
Lymph node under my arm swelled up and took years before it returned to completely normal. Folks said I looked green at the time. Found the dang thing still alive in my shirt.

Last edited by kenjs1; 06/21/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,289
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.