-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever dry vibrating case cleaner you use add a couple of used drier sheets when you start it up. Those sheets attract the carbon generated and come out black. They will keep your cleaning mix clean.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Rick99
Whatever dry vibrating case cleaner you use add a couple of used drier sheets when you start it up. Those sheets attract the carbon generated and come out black. They will keep your cleaning mix clean.

I'll have to give that a try. I go through a lot of media cleaning filthy Unique and 2400 loaded handgun brass. I use a bit of NuFinish in it every couple tumblings, which helps, but it still goes bad pretty fast.

A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Great tip on the dryer sheets. Thanks everyone.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have been reloading for my 300 Savage 99 Featherweight [1960] for about 30 years now..... along with some other cartridges.

Good advice given above.

My long time go-to load has been using 150 gr Hornady Interlocks pushed by IMR4320. Yeah, I know, that powder has been discontinued. Still have a little left... On a good day this combination will shoot about 1" groups.

Do not use a real hot load but the one i use chronographed at about 2500+ fps.
Have taken my share of E Central Minnesota deer with it. I never recovered a bullet.
The 150 gr will do fine on Texas deer.

The advice of going small when you begin reloading is the way to go, IMHO.

Talk to people. Having a mentor is good. Sometimes good used equipment is available for a reasonable price. Used manuals provide good info.

A fancy case cleaner is not in my inventory because i dont do large volumes of cases at a time. Retired guys have plenty of time to use other methods.

Before i size the cases i anneal them. Seems to help case life.

Reloading is a fine hobby. Learn as you go and enjoy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AJ59,

If you're starting from scratch, I HIGHLY recommend the stainless steel pins for brass polishing. I've used every conventional method (and many unconventional) to clean empty cases. Never a plugged flash hole. Spotless primer pockets. Spotless cases inside and out, even old tarnished stuff that got overlooked and left outside for a long time. I cannot speak highly enough about the speed and quality of the finished product. My "tumbler" is a cheap Harbor Freight rock polisher. Incredible results, no mess, apparently will last forever.

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
AJ59,

If you're starting from scratch, I HIGHLY recommend the stainless steel pins for brass polishing. I've used every conventional method (and many unconventional) to clean empty cases. Never a plugged flash hole. Spotless primer pockets. Spotless cases inside and out, even old tarnished stuff that got overlooked and left outside for a long time. I cannot speak highly enough about the speed and quality of the finished product. My "tumbler" is a cheap Harbor Freight rock polisher. Incredible results, no mess, apparently will last forever.

Doug

I’d second that. I load 130 Barnes TTSX for my 300 Savage 99. I hunt in Burnet, can see Lake Buchanan, I’m not too far from where you live. I’d watch eBay, but a RCBS Rockchucker press, RCBS or Redding dies.

Last edited by hanco; 06/19/22.
A
AJ59 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thank you very much. A friend of mine recommended the Harbor Freight tumbler for polishing brass. He said it's really good quality. I was just reading on a forum this morning about using the steel pins for polishing brass. Highly recommended. I've lived in Texas full-time since 1975, the drive from my house in Round Rock to Llano on Highway 29 is one of my favorites. Have relatives in Llano and some in the cemetery in Cherokee. When the good Lord is done with me on this Earth that's where I will reside. Beautiful country, don't want to live anywhere else.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.