Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My father at 93 years of age died. Mine and my siblings childhood was full of abuse and defeat at his hands. He was not a good father.

Yet two days ago I went to see him in hospice. I saw him there a fragment of the man I knew. Gray, delusional, breathing his last.

I was touched deeply seeing that. I was compelled to do the one thing I could do. To give him the same grace of forgiveness God gave me.

It does not change the past, truth is still truth, but I think it might change the future.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that you did well. Let the past lie in peace.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The right thing to do. You will be better for it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Armednfree
My father at 93 years of age died. Mine and my siblings childhood was full of abuse and defeat at his hands. He was not a good father.

Yet two days ago I went to see him in hospice. I saw him there a fragment of the man I knew. Gray, delusional, breathing his last.

I was touched deeply seeing that. I was compelled to do the one thing I could do. To give him the same grace of forgiveness God gave me.

It does not change the past, truth is still truth, but I think it might change the future.

If you truly forgave him you'd not be on here announcing that he lived his life as an ass hole.

But, condolences and whatever.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

I’m glad you could. I could never forgive my stepfather. It was the happiest day of my life when I found out he died. That doesn’t say much for me, but it is how I feel.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sorry to hear of this.. May he RIP...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My experences are very similiar to the OP's. I never did anything right. Lots of verbal abuse. He did everything he could to belittle me and financially injure me. He is nearly 92 and it was and is very difficult to call him on fathers day. He was never a father to me after I reached my teen years. Had to work along side of him in the family buisness for 50 years. I visit him twice a year for my own mental heath, not his. Before I go for a visit I try to remember the few good times.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Prayers for you Sir !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You are very wise to forgive him.

You benefit much, much more from that than he did.

Hate is a cancer that eats anyone who harbors it.

Just close that book and open another.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave

If you truly forgave him you'd not be on here announcing that he lived his life as an ass hole.

Gee... I think the Flave has a point?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunzo

I disagree.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by gunzo

I disagree.

A&F had said what an [bleep] he was on here previously.

Today he announced that his dad died and he forgave him before he did.

I don't have a problem with that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't see the problem with it either. Hope it gave you some peace, takes a lot to forgive someone like that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
sounds like you did the right thing
sorry for your loss

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Most people become like their parents, good or bad. Maybe a look at his life might provide some understanding.

Along with forgiveness, the best outcome of these cases is when the children recognize their parents’ failings and resolve never to inflict those traumas on their own kids.

Prob’ly that’s where you’ve been at for a long time now.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad you came to terms. Hopefully you can get on with your life and not think about the past as much.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My 2 sisters and I took dad out for his dry aged Filet and giant shrimp cocktail last night. As I sat there listening to the conversations and laughter I actually took a minute to thank God for blessing my life with the family I have. I know that we’re totally imperfect and we get on each other’s nerves from time to time but at the end of the day we love each completely and we all pitch in to lift each other up. I couldn’t help but say an extra prayer of thanks for allowing me the chance to get to know my dad man to man rather than “just” as father and son.

I couldn’t imagine how different I and my siblings would be without the love, guidance and examples set by mom and dad.

A&F, You are obviously the bigger man and the fact that you forgave him is all the proof one needs. I’m sorry that you didn’t have a good father but he must’ve done something right for you to have turned into the man you are….maybe in spite of him or maybe because of him, only you can answer that.

You have my condolences and prayers for peace and comfort.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Most people become like their parents, good or bad. Maybe a look at his life might provide some understanding.

Along with forgiveness, the best outcome of these cases is when the children recognize their parents’ failings and resolve never to inflict those traumas on their own kids.

Prob’ly that’s where you’ve been at for a long time now.

That goes both ways.

Dad is a drunk and has two sons. And all the baggage that goes with it..

One grows up to be a fine man and good father. The other grows up to be just like dear 'ol dad... Drunkard and abusive.

When asked if their childhood full of drunken abuse made them what they are today, they both answered "Yes. How could it not?"

You make a choice everyday what to do with the rest of your life.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
May he rest, and may you have peace.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You are very wise to forgive him.

You benefit much, much more from that than he did.

Hate is a cancer that eats anyone who harbors it.

Just close that book and open another.

This ^^^^^

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 68 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.