H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[align:right][/align]
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Originally Posted by hookeye
Forgiveness doesn't mean you turn into a door mat
It means it's over and time to move on, just like another has stated.
Can move on without or maybe limit interaction w those that hurt you.
Hate is a poison.

Easy concept to understand.

Harder to employ.

I understand not being driven by hate, but I never understood why one has to forgive for that to occur. I guess we are all different.

Maybe some overlap in either method.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/21/22.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Armednfree
My father at 93 years of age died. Mine and my siblings childhood was full of abuse and defeat at his hands. He was not a good father.

Yet two days ago I went to see him in hospice. I saw him there a fragment of the man I knew. Gray, delusional, breathing his last.

I was touched deeply seeing that. I was compelled to do the one thing I could do. To give him the same grace of forgiveness God gave me.

It does not change the past, truth is still truth, but I think it might change the future.

You did the right thing. May he rest in peace.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Armednfree: So sorry to hear of your loss.
May your father rest in peace now.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
No disrespect to your thread is intended by this question, but what does it mean to forgive someone?

It means you no longer have excuses.

That's a hard one.

Took me about a year to shed the self pity and "how could I be so naive" and get back to life after the disastrous second marriage.

Still working on that, I hated that woman for a long time until I realized how much it affected my life going forward.

IMO this is between you and God.

Saying you forgive them to some people will only enable them to feel better about screwing you over and the next soul they get their hooks into.

Good thread, thank you A&F.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgiveness may take more time than thought.
Conscious decision to pursue such is at least a step in the right direction.
Get there eventually, hopefully.

Loss is still a loss and can muddy things up for a bit.

You are assuming it's a loss.
Thing is if you disown someone over simple disagreement or hurt feelings, yes you had better learn to forgive as that makes you a bad and judgmental person.
There is another level. When you deal with narcissist's, sociopaths, psychopaths and to a lesser extent drug addicts and alcoholic's you have to move on.
More than likely you have already forgiven them a thousand times or more! They see forgiveness as weakness and will use it to prey on you even more.
So the do gooders that tell you that you need to forgive are full of schit. More than likely they have done wrong and wish forgiveness and are projecting their guilt upon you.
Disposing of toxic people is not a loss... it's survival

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Armednfree,

May the peace of the lord be with you and your dad......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good that you made peace with your father AF.

I truly cannot imagine growing up without my parents loving hands to help guide me.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You did good. God Bless

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about your dad.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by irfubar
Forgiveness may take more time than thought.
Conscious decision to pursue such is at least a step in the right direction.
Get there eventually, hopefully.

Loss is still a loss and can muddy things up for a bit.

You are assuming it's a loss.
Thing is if you disown someone over simple disagreement or hurt feelings, yes you had better learn to forgive as that makes you a bad and judgmental person.
There is another level. When you deal with narcissist's, sociopaths, psychopaths and to a lesser extent drug addicts and alcoholic's you have to move on.
More than likely you have already forgiven them a thousand times or more! They see forgiveness as weakness and will use it to prey on you even more.
So the do gooders that tell you that you need to forgive are full of schit. More than likely they have done wrong and wish forgiveness and are projecting their guilt upon you.
Disposing of toxic people is not a loss... it's survival

Right on, forgiving them is what they want and YES they see it as, they did wrong and you let them slide, over & over in life.

Myself I have rarely apologized to anyone in my life, never needed to because I don't do people wrong and then expect them to forgive me, < pretty simple really. People who do and say schitty stuff > to hell with them, let them rot. If no-one let them slide they might see the error of their ways then try and change but they get forgiven and roll-on with their BS.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it’s helpful (for some) to see forgiveness, at its core, as simply canceling a debt. If someone has egregiously wronged you, and you have those resultant feelings that many have described here, it’s because they’ve taken something from you. They may have taken your childhood, or your marriage, your reputation, or any other season of your life, or maybe even your opportunity to regularly tuck your kids into bed at night.

The hurt and anger is because someone took something away from you. Sometimes it’s hard to put into words. Sometimes you don’t understand the debt that the offender owes to you. But hate and/or bitterness does corrode the vessel in which it’s contained.

Deciding that person doesn’t owe you anymore doesn’t empower them. It empowers you.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Maybe it’s helpful (for some) to see forgiveness, at its core, as simply canceling a debt. If someone has egregiously wronged you, and you have those resultant feelings that many have described here, it’s because they’ve taken something from you. They may have taken your childhood, or your marriage, your reputation, or any other season of your life, or maybe even your opportunity to regularly tuck your kids into bed at night.

The hurt and anger is because someone took something away from you. Sometimes it’s hard to put into words. Sometimes you don’t understand the debt that the offender owes to you. But hate and/or bitterness does corrode the vessel in which it’s contained.

Deciding that person doesn’t owe you anymore doesn’t empower them. It empowers you.

You are assuming they are consumed by hate.... maybe it's just indifference.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You are very wise to forgive him.

You benefit much, much more from that than he did.

Hate is a cancer that eats anyone who harbors it.

Just close that book and open another.
This right here. Don't let him or your memory of him negatively effect you now.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by antlers

You are assuming they are consumed by hate.... maybe it's just indifference.

Exactly my take on it. I think forgiveness is overrated.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 35 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.