Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17353218 06/20/22
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
We had some beautiful weather today, so I did a little old-school plinking. This is my Remington 1903A3. I bought it through James River Armory 10 or 12 years ago, and it has a Criterion barrel, new walnut, and milled bottom metal. This was three rounds at 170 yards from a braced offhand position, and the load is the 155-grain Nosler HPBT on top of 49 grains of IMR4064 for about 2750 to 2800 fps.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's a great plinker. A 5.56 from an AR15 will make an audible clang and tip the steel enough to be visible at 200 yards. The .30-06 renders an exaggerated clang and tips the target a full 90 degrees.

When I bought it I quickly found a good load, but it shot about 11" high at 200 yards with the lowest setting on the rear sight. I had a new front blade made slightly too tall, and then filed it to a 200-yard zero. The bottom hit was just me, and I called it when the trigger broke. I'm not a particularly good group shooter, but from a rest the rifle will shoot less than 5" at 200 yards, and frequently 4 of the 5 are in about 2.5". I suppose I suffer from too much aiming error; nevertheless the rifle shoots straight.

Alas, I don't shoot this rifle as much as I should. In this day with all the polymer, high capacity magazines, high-speed triggers and red dots, I do find it redeeming to spend a little time with walnut, stripper clips, aperture sights, and two-stage triggers.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a nice looking rifle.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice O3A3!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I like and prefer yours, Mr G, to the original 03a3 configuration, of which I have a couple. The milled bottom metal, a nice touch, if the downside of "Not original"'. The bolt looks to be the earlier model, or is it just the photo?
Your words similar to the "truth" of blued steel & real walnut, as refreshing! A 'me too!' smile

Thanks for sharing!
Best!
John

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice.

I like the art of deliberate hits, not spray and pray. They sure did put a thin front site on them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a fine looking rifle. Thanks for posting it up.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That is some darn good shooting for OFFHAND. Even with a support. And also appreciate the reminder there is more to this old stuff than just collecting.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Viking:

My original front sight was really thin, the top almost disappearing into a fine mist. The guy that made my new one is a Camp Perry competitor, and he made me a target post that is a little thicker and square on top. It practically covers the width of my steel at 170, but I do get a good, consistent sight picture for elevation. My "sighting errors" generally occur when group shooting and trying to hold 6:00 on a round bullseye with a square sight. I think I do better with a target with a square bottom, such that I am holding a 90-degree edge underneath a 90-degree edge of the same apparent width. I like to make targets with an inverted "T", but when zeroing this rifle, all I had to work with was the NRA 200-yard bullseye target. I'd still get 4 out of 5 where I wanted as I filed on the sight, it's just the occasional left-or-right flyer that makes me mumble to myself.

FWIW, Elmer Keith had a customized S&W 1917 .45 with a .25" target front post, and he was able to shoot it accurately to several hundred yards. I don't see front sights that well, of course, and it would be interesting to see what a competition shooter could do with my rifle and load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a refurb with a Criterion barrel, new stock, and refinishing, don't know who did it. It had feeding issues when I got it, but the proper follower fixed that. The feeding issue was why I got it for the price I did. It would simply refuse to feed the last round.

It shoots the same load as my Garand better than said Garand, and the front post is noticeably thinner, action is rough feeling, and it recoils harder than my Garand (not surprising).

It's fun to shoot!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LouisB
Nice O3A3!

To the OP, I'll repeat this.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It shoots the same load as my Garand better than said Garand, and the front post is noticeably thinner, action is rough feeling, and it recoils harder than my Garand (not surprising).

We had a saying " Shoot Garands in the summer, shoot Springfields in the winter."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fine looking rifle, got a Garand, need one like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use 48.4 of Varget under a 150 grain FMJ in my Garand and my 1903a3 shoots it just as well. I have a sporterized 1903 that is lighter than a standard 03a3 and I have dropped it down to 47.6 to tame some of the recoil. I'm getting to be an old pu$$y.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm flinging gas-checked Lee 309-170 grain castings through a 1918 '03 that was previously sporterized in a terrible cobblejob target stock. I found a good Fajan stock and bedded the action using Score-high gunsmithing bedding kit. It turned out great. It has the original barrel, or at least one very close to the original date of manufacture which is why I think the barrel is original

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Speaking of sporterized 1903's, here's one I picked up today...

[Linked Image from ar15.com]

[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15608/20220630_112950_jpg-2437077.JPG[/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a pretty fantastic representative of a bygone era. Very cool. This rifle deserves to hunt.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definitely not my taste, sure as hell wouldn't have that done to
a piece of walnut.

But I'd love that rifle, its cool as can be in its context.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Definitely not my taste, sure as hell wouldn't have that done to
a piece of walnut.

But I'd love that rifle, its cool as can be in its context.

Exactly how I feel. A friend has one very similar to that.

The first CF rifle I ever had was a Remington 03-A3, serial number in the 3 million range, 4 groove barrel. It had had the original stock reworked into a pretty decent Mannlicher style with blue steel fore end cap, barrel cut and nicely crowned at just over 19 inches, original military peep sight in the rear, but a nice gold bead ramp front sight installed. Barrel and action fully glass bedded. All work was very nicely done.

I was 15, hanging out in the LGS one Friday night when the guy who'd done it came in with it to trade it in on a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet rifle. Don, the shop owner, gave him the Sheridan and ten bucks for the rifle, the guy left and Don put it up on the used rack behind the counter. I asked how much he was going to price it at. Don was no fool. "I've got $37.50 in it, you can have it for that."
I had about $5.00 on me. "Will you put it on layaway for me?"
"Sure."
It took me about a month to accumulate the balance.
All I ever shot with it were woodchucks. A friend of mine handloaded with his father and loaded me 130 grain (Speer?) hollowpoints over 49 grains of Hi-Vel #2. That 19" barrel was probably largely responsible for the state of my hearing today, but those loads sure disintegrated woodchucks.
The fall before I went into the Navy, I let a guy use it who was going deer hunting with me. By then I had a 788 in .222 and I was happy to use that (Stunt shooter at a young age!) He asked if he could use it for a while and I let him. When it was time to get it back, he came up with some cock and bull story that I soon found out was a lie, but by then he'd left town. I'll give him this, while I was away at boot camp he came by and gave my mother the $50 I told him it was worth. I'd sure like to have that rifle back.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is my 1903A3 rifle. However it it shoots a 7x57 cartridge. My gunsmith somehow was able to shorten the magazine box and chamber it to shoot a 7mm. How he did it, I have no idea. The guy is just good!!

https://imgur.com/cUVPynY

Last edited by RCBS_reloader; 07/17/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Interesting Thread here! I like the O/Ps 'principally original' and the mods reflected and bottom metal described! I also like the '03 in 7mm Mauser! A nifty contemporary stock. Handsome!
I'm frankly not particularly into stock carving. "Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder." That said, it looks to be well executed. Bust a bit large & bold in perspective! Rather than delicate.

My only carved stock model below. I don't know what idiot... Oh, wait a minute! "I..." was the idiot. smile A Sako FN barreled action originally in 300 H&H. Age 16, I purchased it new at Wetherby's store & in Southgate, Ca. Had them rechamber to 300 Wby! All in 1956. Bit later in Midwest, the opportunity to take it to Bishop stock company in Warsaw, Mo. Having them produce the stock and art work. A standard pattern of theirs. My dad there with me, bought the finished stock for me. We'd not contracted for any wood upgrade. When it arrived completed some sort of a tag or some such. Referencing "upgraded wood" to facilitate shipment. Complimentary!

The pity it's in a fifties style motif with huge drop at the toe achieving boat oar buttstock. Not hacking 'current styling' nowadays. Still.... It's yet mine with memories of a great dad appended!

Thanks again for the great Thread and eye candy all!

Best!
John

Attached Images
R41-2U.jpg (26.02 KB, 99 downloads)
R41-3U.jpg (20.29 KB, 99 downloads)
R41-9U.jpg (29.42 KB, 100 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.