Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Picked up my fathers day gift yesterday (no pic's yet). 7.5" Uberti SAA in .38-40, blue CCH. This is now the 3rd Uberti in a row with an absolutely amazing trigger right out of the box. How amazing? As in, as good as my pre-war Colt Officers Target's single action pull. Not sure what's going on at Uberti, but they're SERIOUSLY doing something right in the trigger department.

And there's actually a 4th. My son's 3 click Uberti finally didn't appreciate high volumes of black powder blanks that he uses in his show. Fouling managed to creep behind the firing pin and clog up the channel that leads to the trigger. I can't imagine this would ever happen with smokeless ammo, and it took a full year of BP blanks to finally slow it down. And even then, it just slowed it down not kill it. So I decided to just convert his revolver to the original Colt design, which we know works perfectly with black powder. So I dropped in a 4 click Uberti hammer and trigger, and without touching anything, he has a perfectly crisp 2.9lb trigger pull; simply amazing to this gunsmith who has to bust arse to get that with a stone.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My cavalry model is a four click. My other Cattleman (image below) is a 3 click.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This and the other single action thread got me to check out the Uberti and Cimarron websites. Both are very short on specifics although the Cimarron site is very long on advertising hype.

Cimarron talks up about how their revolvers are reproduced in every detail from the old "hogleg" and"smokewagon": "Cimarron's replica was reproduced in every detail from an original 1873 single action in our antique collection, and was not replicated by working simply from drawings, as with previous reproductions."

But then they step back and say, "We also took extra steps to improve the gun's reliability with our Cowboy Comp® action which eliminates weaknesses associated with the 19th century design."

Anybody know specifically what they changed from the original?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never been inside a "Cowboy Comp", but I have been inside many other Uberti's.

For most Uberti's the changes are very subtle. The sear shelf on the triggers is a bit thicker to reduce breakage. This is a part easily broken on an original Colt. The corresponding loading notch is much thicker so the shelf doesn't break off like the original Colts. The common "break" this prevents is when you whip the hammer back but fail to catch the sear, and it falls to the safety notch, which usually breaks the safety notch, and the sear on the trigger.

4 click Uberti's also have a kind of hidden safety on their hammers that will allow you to carry a Uberti with 6 rounds if you have it on the first click. Most just ignore this as its really no help.

3 click Uberti's have a very clever FP safety where the firing pin only reaches the cartridge when the trigger is pulled. This is pretty slick and gives you pretty much the same safety as a Ruger, and you can carry them with 6 rounds.

Any other changes are very small and very subtle.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
One thing they do differently is that they removed the leaf spring that Colt attaches to the hand to push it into place behind the cylinder. In its place, they use a tiny coil spring positioned in a channel within the frame behind the hand. This is actually an improvement, since it's less likely to break.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
One thing they do differently is that they removed the leaf spring that Colt attaches to the hand to push it into place behind the cylinder. In its place, they use a tiny coil spring positioned in a channel within the frame behind the hand. This is actually an improvement, since it's less likely to break.
Thanks Hawk...forgot that one.

That's a very significant upgrade as the pawl/hand spring frequently comes un-staked from the hammer and causes all sorts of problems. The switch to the coil spring fixed that problem for good, but it did create a new one...for me at least. The tiny screw that holds it all in is very tricky to get back in, and VERY easy to lose (don't ask me how I know...but I just ordered two of them).

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Thanks Hawk...forgot that one.

That's a very significant upgrade as the pawl/hand spring frequently comes un-staked from the hammer and causes all sorts of problems. The switch to the coil spring fixed that problem for good, but it did create a new one...for me at least. The tiny screw that holds it all in is very tricky to get back in, and VERY easy to lose (don't ask me how I know...but I just ordered two of them).
I know. It's tiny. I've removed and put it back when I detail stripped the gun pictured above.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 58 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.