WS

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
There was a show on the History channel about the Comanche. This was years ago when they actually did shows about history, rather than 4 straight hours in a pawn shop.

This was a 2 hour show and it featured Fehrenbach, had him on for 15 or 20 minutes, he was an interesting interview. I remember he talked about the "last stand" up in a canyon in N. Texas or maybe Colorado, in the 1870s, hundreds of Comanche were hiding in there, the Army came in there and annihilated hundreds of horses in the Comanche herd, they figured "No horse, no Comanche."

They were talking about Palo Duro Canyon, in the TX Panhandle Region. And Quanah Parker’s Band of Comanches. it’s just south of Amarillo.
Everything for them revolved around the horse, they would even eat them when they had to.

I wonder how they treated their horses generally, cruelly, kindly?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
I know where Ft. Ringgold is, it's big grade school now, where was Ft. Clark? Blue

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Woo Hooo! Got it, Josiah Gregg...

Commerce of the Prairies

A great read from someone who was there.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Blue, Ft. Clark was at Brackettville

Birdy, you see the other book I posted above?? Another participant that also went down the Chihuahua trail.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/22/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT
I wonder how they treated their horses generally, cruelly, kindly?

Dunno, on the one hand you read about them being accomplished breeders and traders of fine horses and mules.

OTOH there’s accounts of them cutting steaks out of live horses, might have made them taste better, like the Chinese boiling live dogs.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Commerce of the Prairies

Birdy, Gregg was also what I’d call one of us. A gun nut!!! You’ll find out when you read it.

Also if you can find Lt. James W Abert’s journal of his topographical expedition of the Canadian river 1845, its a must!!! Comanches would not bother them whole they rode across the present Texas Panhandle. They asked a band of Kiowa why the Comanches were avoiding them and they said their (Abert’s party) medicine was too great!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
There was a show on the History channel about the Comanche. This was years ago when they actually did shows about history, rather than 4 straight hours in a pawn shop.

This was a 2 hour show and it featured Fehrenbach, had him on for 15 or 20 minutes, he was an interesting interview. I remember he talked about the "last stand" up in a canyon in N. Texas or maybe Colorado, in the 1870s, hundreds of Comanche were hiding in there, the Army came in there and annihilated hundreds of horses in the Comanche herd, they figured "No horse, no Comanche."

They were talking about Palo Duro Canyon, in the TX Panhandle Region. And Quanah Parker’s Band of Comanches. it’s just south of Amarillo.
Everything for them revolved around the horse, they would even eat them when they had to.

Even? That's how "dogs" came to be. What other creature would follow another animal around for scraps, waiting to be eaton?
Hell Pat I'm sure I've eaten dog and cat when I've bought street tamales, it's all good when you're hungry.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Tks for the book reference Bob.

Ranald MacKenzie was the real deal. A major factor in his breaking the Comanche’s will to fight was the capture of their women and children. It worked for John Moore when he hit the Comanches, 1840, on the Colorado. Worked for Custer 1868 (??) on the Washita, and Custer was probably intending to take captive at the Little Bighorn. It sure lessened the risk of counterattack on the way home.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Didn't think of Brackettville? thought maybe Del Rio, live and learn. This is the best thread i can remember on the fire. Thank you all, keep it going. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Even? That's how "dogs" came to be. What other creature would follow another animal around for scraps, waiting to be eaton?
Hell Pat I'm sure I've eaten dog and cat when I've bought street tamales, it's all good when you're hungry.

They still eat donkeys in Mexico, “burrito” ain’t always a metaphor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
Didn't think of Brackettville? thought maybe Del Rio, live and learn. This is the best thread i can remember on the fire. Thank you all, keep it going. Rio7

Fort Clark, Brackettville, also Fort Duncan at Eagle Pass, right on the river.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Commerce of the Prairies

Birdy, Gregg was also what I’d call one of us. A gun nut!!! You’ll find out when you read it.

Also if you can find Lt. James W Abert’s journal of his topographical expedition of the Canadian river 1845, its a must!!! Comanches would not bother them whole they rode across the present Texas Panhandle. They asked a band of Kiowa why the Comanches were avoiding them and they said their (Abert’s party) medicine was too great!

The Comanches were RIGHT, James Abert was a man of DESTINY 🙂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ABERT’S TOWHEE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Tks for the book reference Bob.

Ranald MacKenzie was the real deal. A major factor in his breaking the Comanche’s will to fight was the capture of their women and children. It worked for John Moore when he hit the Comanches, 1840, on the Colorado. Worked for Custer 1868 (??) on the Washita, and Custer was probably intending to take captive at the Little Bighorn. It sure lessened the risk of counterattack on the way home.

Yep. MacKenzie was a bad ass.

I didn’t realize he was stationed at Fort Concho, with the Buffalo Soldiers, at the time of the Red River War & The Battle of Palo Duro Canyon.
That would be a brutal horseback ride.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Commerce of the Prairies

The Comanches were RIGHT, James Abert was a man of DESTINY 🙂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ABERT’S TOWHEE

Mike, any luck on locating Abert’s Journal, that Bob referenced ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No doubt. It just gets tiring, listening to people try to change history.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I concur 110%. Texas history is such a broad subject, and the shame of it is that so many of us know little more about it than the Alamo, San Jacinto, and Sam Houston's opposition to secession. On that note, I'll just sit quietly and try to absorb some of this.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I concur 110%. Texas history is such a broad subject, and the shame of it is that so many of us know little more about it than the Alamo, San Jacinto, and Sam Houston's opposition to secession. On that note, I'll just sit quietly and try to absorb some of this.

Yep. Some of the best threads on the Fire !

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read about Texas history on the internet.

Mexico gave Texas to the United States in 1845.

That's about it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.