Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Recently bought a 700 in 7mag to drop in the grayboe ridgeback stock i snagged a year or more ago. The action screws are way too long. Is this common? Didnt see shorter screws listed at midway. Any reason i cant get shorter ones from a local hardware store? Thanks guys

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
A bench grinder is your friend.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've had to shorten action screws on a couple of Rem 700's. It mostly depends on the stock design.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you got a Fastenal local, they stock Allen head cap screws.

I forget, 1/4-28?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Fastenal here has lost its mind. You have to have an account to deal with them or pay a fee. They sell by the box only. If you have a good hardware store they should have them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I buy quite a few specialty screws on ebay.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I made an action screw out of a metric bolt for my old Sako with a file, a hacksaw, and a lathe. There's nothing special about action screws. When you're tightening a 1/4" bolt with a screwdriver, you're not in danger of threatening the tinsel strength. That was over 20 years ago and it shoots bugholes.

Don't sweat it.

Carry on

Cross

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
FASENTAL SUCKS - AROUND HERE YOU HAD TO BUY A GROSS BOX (144) FOR ANYTHING - THEY WOULDN'T BREAK BOXES EVEN THOUGH THEY CLAIM TO SERVE RETAIL. THEY CLOSED UP 18-MONTHS AFTER OPENING UP.

AS TO 700 GUARD SCREWS, GO TO BROWNELLS SITE OR (REMINGTON WHEN THEY USED TO HAVE A MODICUM OF CUSTOMER SERVICE AND REPLACEMENT PARTS), AND YOU WOULD SEE ALL DIFFERENT LENGTHS. THE STOCK YOU USE WILL ALWAYS DICTATE WHAT LENGTH SCREWS YOU NEED. ALSO IF YOU FIND SAVAGE 10/110 SERIES GUARD SCREWS THEY'RE THE SAME PITCH AND YOU FIND OVERLAP WITH 700 SCREWS HAVING SIMILAR LENGTH. BOTTOMLINE, BUY A SET OF EXTRA-LONG SCREWS FROM BROWNELL AND CUT THEM TO WHAT YOU NEED. IF YOU DO MUCH OF THIS, I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING A 1/4 X 28 DIE TO CLEAN UP THE SCREWS YOU ALTER.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 06/23/22.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There probably wasn't anything wrong with the screws, you either hadn't cleaned them properly, you had jiggered things up by improperly adjusting them, or you had your finger on the trigger.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've even just used my dremil to grind a few down.

Bb

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sometimes

Screw too long
Screw too short
Stock too tall
Stock too short

From here it's a WA guess, but, for screw too long, grind or file, cold blue, oil. Sometimes adding a shim is a corrector course of course, You don't want to just go with a short screw for a short stock and potentially bind your correct height mag box for example.. I have never seen a vendor with a fine enough variation in appropriate 1/4-28 screws to avoid sizing. YRMV

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I've had to shorten action screws on a couple of Rem 700's. It mostly depends on the stock design.

Yep. Buy long, cut to length.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rt50blaster
Recently bought a 700 in 7mag to drop in the grayboe ridgeback stock i snagged a year or more ago. The action screws are way too long. Is this common? Didnt see shorter screws listed at midway. Any reason i cant get shorter ones from a local hardware store? Thanks guys

Fair common problem...

Yes on the 1/4 28TPI...

Before you cut/grind... put on a nut... it will realign the cut threads after the cut/grind when you remove the nut.

JE Rice in Manassas MIGHT have the nut/bolts... pretty good store... old school... at least used to be.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are going to keep the old stock to put the rifle back into it when you sell it don’t mess with the old screws… go buy new ones and screw with the length of those… Brownells along with other places stock them.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
If you are going to keep the old stock to put the rifle back into it when you sell it don’t mess with the old screws… go buy new ones and screw with the length of those… Brownells along with other places stock them.

Better answer...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some ACE Hardware stores have a couple drawers of Gun Screws and bolts in their hardware and bolt section. Might be a good place to look before trying to accurately cut a stock Remington screw and try to get those fine threads lined up after cutting. BTDT...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.