Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used to always pull over and help someone change a tire. I first noticed "a change" 20 years ago in South Dakota. Way out in the country I saw a car with a flat pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled in behind them, and walked up to the car. Female driver and an adult male [can't call him a man, turned out he wasn't much of a man] in the passenger's seat. I knocked on the window. This guy wouldn't even look at me!

I said "Let's change your tire." You could tell the guy was scared of me.
And he said "We have called AAA for help. Please leave us alone."

No need for help from a stranger, this guy had a cell phone! Plus he was incapable of changing a tire. I thought they were a bunch of rugged cowboys and ranchers there in S. Dakota. Come to think of it, I think this car had Minnesota plates.

Just last week I was driving down I 26 near Asheville. The gal in front of me had a blowout, and she pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled over behind her. I got out, gonna help her change the tire, and she saw me in her mirror, she rolled down her window 2 inches and she shreiked at me "WHAT DO YOU WANT!? PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!"

11 am, broad daylight, where she stopped was just 50 feet from the interstate, no trees or bushes, every car on the interstate could see her car. Every car on the interstate, rest assured, was packing an Iphone. If a guy had tried an assault on this gal, there would have been fourteen calls to 911 in one minute. The cops would have been there in two minutes.

Now this gal had obviously been watching too many bad movies on the Lifetime channel.

But, times have changed when it comes to being a Good Samaritain on the road. Times have changed because everyone on the road has a damned Iphone.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Only when they are flat!

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, from what I've read on bumper stickers and have witnessed alongside the road, "It takes a village". It just so happens I don't travel with a village in tow.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Made daughter change one on her car, and do an oil change, before she got her learner's permit.
She's not afraid to tackle ANYTHING ! (She teaches at a high school, and shoots her cannon!)

My worst was changing a tire on a circle sprinkler system - that had just been running.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Amazing when people thing changing a tire is a feat.

The truck I'm in now has 28 tires on it... quad axle trailer truck with a pusher. Tires get changed, just the way she goes.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Are you freaking kidding?

That's what Mexicans are for.

Racist bastids dont want poor Mexicans to make a living?

Sheesh.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by pappabear
Only when they are flat!

Hahaha, winner, winner.....

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Me and a good friend were cruising around one day drinking beer and across a median/ditch divided road was a girl struggling like hell in the hot sun to get the rear tire off an old Ford Granada. For some reason we thought it was rather humorous and were laughing so hard with the windows down she looked up and gave us this go to hell look. Well turns out it was my step sister so we made a u-turn at the next crossover and changed the tire.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RIO7
If it's round and rubber, steel, or wood, big or little, truck, tractor, trailer, mower, motorcycle, car, solid or split rim, i have mounted, repaired, patched, plugged, more tires than i care to do over. Rio7

It's amazing how fast most ranchers can change a flat. It becomes second nature. Any time I ever took one with me in my truck hunting or checking cattle or water and got a flat and started trying to change it they told me to get out their way. They didnt need to say we needed to be on our way. grin

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by dale06
I drove 20 miles of country roads in high school. Flat tires were common. I changed plenty, day and night.
But in the past 30 plus years, I’ve changed only one.

How did you arrange that?

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by dale06
I drove 20 miles of country roads in high school. Flat tires were common. I changed plenty, day and night.
But in the past 30 plus years, I’ve changed only one.

How did you arrange that?

Tires have gotten a hell of a lot better, along with the roads they roll on.

Me

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used the spare tire to drop the engine of my VW on. Drag the tire out, replace clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bushing. And used the tire to hold up the engine, while I guided it back in place, on the side of the hwy. Does that count. I was on my way to work swing shift. Was three hours late because of the clutch. Two guys did stop and help while I was putting the engine back in. It helped most of the sheet metal behind the engine had been removed, when I did the baja conversion. We ran may pops when young, changed many tires.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZmark
Many a time and still would rather change a tire than a baby diaper! Tires dont make me gag.

Agreed.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Of course, but not that many. The last time I spent more time trying to find the jack and sort out the jack point and everything than I did changing the tire.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 06/24/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pappabear
Only when they are flat!
If we count non-flat tires, I change 24 per year.

Summer/winter, winter/summer; on 3 vehicles.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I used to always pull over and help someone change a tire. I first noticed "a change" 20 years ago in South Dakota. Way out in the country I saw a car with a flat pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled in behind them, and walked up to the car. Female driver and an adult male [can't call him a man, turned out he wasn't much of a man] in the passenger's seat. I knocked on the window. This guy wouldn't even look at me!

I said "Let's change your tire." You could tell the guy was scared of me.
And he said "We have called AAA for help. Please leave us alone."

No need for help from a stranger, this guy had a cell phone! Plus he was incapable of changing a tire. I thought they were a bunch of rugged cowboys and ranchers there in S. Dakota. Come to think of it, I think this car had Minnesota plates.

Just last week I was driving down I 26 near Asheville. The gal in front of me had a blowout, and she pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled over behind her. I got out, gonna help her change the tire, and she saw me in her mirror, she rolled down her window 2 inches and she shreiked at me "WHAT DO YOU WANT!? PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!"

11 am, broad daylight, where she stopped was just 50 feet from the interstate, no trees or bushes, every car on the interstate could see her car. Every car on the interstate, rest assured, was packing an Iphone. If a guy had tried an assault on this gal, there would have been fourteen calls to 911 in one minute. The cops would have been there in two minutes.

Now this gal had obviously been watching too many bad movies on the Lifetime channel.

But, times have changed when it comes to being a Good Samaritain on the road. Times have changed because everyone on the road has a damned Iphone.

It'd help is ya didn't look like a axe murderer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Many. Survived all.

Even got the opportunity to teach younger less knowledgeable drivers how to change their flat tires. It's shocking how many young drivers don't know how to change a tire...

Made my son and daughter learn how to change a tire, change oil, and add water to hot radiator, before I let them get their drivers license. And, they took their driving test, with a state trooper, in a standard transmission truck.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I changed one in college 30 yrs ago, and just changed one for my daughter on the side of the highway 2 months ago. Hopefully I have another 30 year gap.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The last half dozen "flats" I had were me noticing a nail or screw in the tire. A couple needed to be aired up whereby I headed to where I bought the tire (Discount Tire or Walmart), let them pull it and fix it often for free.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not as concerned about young kids who weren't taught how to change a flat.

I'm concerned about the ones who can't figure it out on their own. Seriously - about 6 minutes of reading the manual (glove box) or simply looking at it should get a reasonably IQ individual going. Might take longer but you'd be okay.

I don't remember being taught how - specifically but I do remember doing it, A LOT.

Me

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 28 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,159
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.