Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
JJ,

Why so opposed to having the dog in the house at all? Personally, I can't imagine having a dog that stays out all the time -- there's nothing about staying out that'll make it hunt better, in fact some of the top trainers argue that staying in the house as part of the "pack" will make the dog easier to please and more trainable.

John

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JJ I have an English and a Gordon setter both of my dogs live in the house many of my friends have setters kenneled outside. Those dogs have no problems with being kenneled they are well adapted socialized dogs because their owners spend time with them. You will have no trouble with a dog kenneled outside as long as you or your children spend time with the dog. If you kennel him and forget him sure you will have trouble. I live with my dogs because I enjoy their company. There is nothing wrong with dogs kenneled if they have suitable living space and they have sufficient contact with people
best regards
Dan

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildhunter
There is nothing wrong with dogs kenneled if they have suitable living space and they have sufficient contact with people
best regards
Dan

This is something I've always found to be true. My Golden male sleeps outside by his own choice. He's a house dog, and he's allowed to sleep inside if he wants. He goes out on the back deck to sleep--even in some horrible weather. I haven't yet built him a dog house and run yet because Goldens are usually on the top of everybody's list of dogs that won't tolerate kenneling. I make him sleep inside if the weather is too extreme, but I haven't yet found any that bothers him. He does need more than the "normal" amount of attention, though.

My buddy had a GSP who was kept kenneled all the time. The only negative result of it was the dog was way too independent and hunted for himself. That was probably the result of equal parts poor training and insufficient human contact. My buddy just didn't see that dogs need social contact. The dog wasn't otherwise neurotic, though.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.