Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
All in all, it's not as hideous as has been represented.

The action is in the form of grants to states that pass red flag laws. Details are in Section 12003, and they lay out some pretty strong requirements for a state to qualify, including the requirement that the accused be informed of the action, the right to counsel, due process, and the right of the accused to present witnesses, and penalties for abuse of the program.

I still have heartburn with the notion of punishing someone for something that someone imagines might happen in the future. Minority Report was fiction, not a roadmap.

Courts will easily grant 14 day restraining orders based on past behavior, and that often includes seizure of firearms. I'm not fully on board with the firearms part without full evidence and due process rights, but that is the way it already is. We have provisions to involuntarily commit someone to a 72 hour psych evaluation, after which they can be further detained. All that seems like preventive enough.

I should note that this is not yet law. It has been passed by the Senate, and will surely become law.

SEC. 12003. USE OF BYRNE GRANTS FOR IMPLEMENTATION
6 OF STATE CRISIS INTERVENTION PROGRAMS.

7 (a) BYRNE JAG PROGRAM.—Section 501(a)(1) of
8 title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act
9 of 1968 (34 U.S.C. 10152(a)(1)) is amended—
10 (1) in the matter preceding subparagraph (A),
11 by inserting ‘‘or civil proceedings’’ after ‘‘criminal
12 justice’’; and
13 (2) by adding at the end the following:
14 ‘‘(I) Implementation of State crisis inter15 vention court proceedings and related programs
16 or initiatives, including but not limited to—
17 ‘‘(i) mental health courts;
18 ‘‘(ii) drug courts;
19 ‘‘(iii) veterans courts; and
20 ‘‘(iv) extreme risk protection order
21 programs, which must include, at a min
22 imum—
23 ‘‘(I) pre-deprivation and post24 deprivation due process rights that
25 prevent any violation or infringement
OLL22583 HSF Discussion Draft S.L.C.
1 of the Constitution of the United
2 States, including but not limited to
3 the Bill of Rights, and the substantive
4 or procedural due process rights guar5 anteed under the Fifth and Four6 teenth Amendments to the Constitu7 tion of the United States, as applied
8 to the States, and as interpreted by
9 State courts and United States courts
10 (including the Supreme Court of the
11 United States). Such programs must
12 include, at the appropriate phase to
13 prevent any violation of constitutional
14 rights, at minimum, notice, the right
15 to an in-person hearing, an unbiased
16 adjudicator, the right to know oppos
17 ing evidence, the right to present evi
18 dence, and the right to confront ad
19 verse witnesses;
20 ‘‘(II) the right to be represented
21 by counsel at no expense to the gov
22 ernment;
23 ‘‘(III) pre-deprivation and post
24 deprivation heightened evidentiary
25 standards and proof which mean not
1 less than the protections afforded to a
2 similarly situated litigant in Federal
3 court or promulgated by the State’s
4 evidentiary body, and sufficient to en
5 sure the full protections of the Con
6 stitution of the United States, includ
7 ing but not limited to the Bill of
8 Rights, and the substantive and pro
9 cedural due process rights guaranteed
10 under the Fifth and Fourteenth
11 Amendments to the Constitution of
12 the United States, as applied to the
13 States, and as interpreted by State
14 courts and United States courts (in15 cluding the Supreme Court of the
16 United States). The heightened evi17 dentiary standards and proof under
18 such programs must, at all appro
19 priate phases to prevent any violation
20 of any constitutional right, at min
21 imum, prevent reliance upon evidence
22 that is unsworn or unaffirmed, irrele
23 vant, based on inadmissible hearsay,
24 unreliable, vague, speculative, and
25 lacking a foundation; and
1 ‘‘(IV) penalties for abuse of the
2 program.’’.

Last edited by denton; 06/24/22.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Their unconstitutional.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe they're unconstitutional, and will be used by the left to target groups that don't fall in line with their doctrine - Christians, conservatives, libertarians. We're all unstable because we don't believe like them, so we are a threat and hence a target.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You may not see an issue with it but I sure do. The fact of the matter is that Red Flag Laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL and the fed govt should not be funding anything that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Nobody can be deprived of a constitutional right based on someone saying they "may do" something at a latter time. If this is the case then someone can also deprive you of a right under the 1st amendment because of something you may say or print etc... Can't have it both ways.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red Flag laws are bullsheit.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LBP
Their unconstitutional.
Nah... "THEY'RE" unconstitutional... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Esox357
Red Flag laws are bullsheit.
Oh, you BETCHA!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They are indeed unconstitutional, and strike at the very heart of several of the planks of of the Bill of Rights.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The worst part of this new law is the way they think they've gotten around the due process issue.
It looks like they do provide for some due process. They even allow you to have an attorney represent you--at NO COST TO THE GOVERNMENT.
How considerate of them. Drag your ass into court for a hearing based on someone else's anger, dislikes, fear, etc. in an effort to disarm you and if you choose to fight for your rights you have to spend thousands of dollars to hire an attorney to defend yourself in an attempt to prove your innocence.
The burden of proof now rests on the accused.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MickeyD
The worst part of this new law is the way they think they've gotten around the due process issue.
It looks like they do provide for some due process. They even allow you to have an attorney represent you--at NO COST TO THE GOVERNMENT.
How considerate of them. Drag your ass into court for a hearing based on someone else's anger, dislikes, fear, etc. in an effort to disarm you and if you choose to fight for your rights you have to spend thousands of dollars to hire an attorney to defend yourself in an attempt to prove your innocence.
Which is why the current Supreme Court will likely find them unconstitutional as soon as a case reaches them.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC
You may not see an issue with it but I sure do. The fact of the matter is that Red Flag Laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL and the fed govt should not be funding anything that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Nobody can be deprived of a constitutional right based on someone saying they "may do" something at a latter time. If this is the case then someone can also deprive you of a right under the 1st amendment because of something you may say or print etc... Can't have it both ways.

Yep.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is their a provision in the new law that states that if the accuser can be prosecuted if proved the claim is BS?

It's a bullshidt law.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No doubt it is unconstitutional.

But just for knowledge sake is there a provision to identify the accuser?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MAC

Definitely unconstitutional

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those azzbags could of put punishment in there for false reports. Retaliation if necessary.

SC will take care of it.

Last edited by MD521; 06/24/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Which is why the current Supreme Court will likely find them unconstitutional as soon as a case reaches them.

Hopefully soon and if so that they will hear it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is typical leftist agenda, they are thinking long game. Small moves toward total disarmament. I agree it will get ruled unconstitutional, but they will keep trying in small increments as much as they can. People don’t see the fence being built around them until the gate slams shut and then it’s too late. The constitution is a problem for them and they want it abolished. The second amendment slows them down considerably.

NRA Endowment Member
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by LBP
Their unconstitutional.
Nah... "THEY'RE" unconstitutional... smile

You are correct Sir, they’re unconstitutional 😉

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Any gun law passed is Infringement, No Gun Laws needed in this country everyone has the right to carry.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Actually, this could be a good deal for us. The red flag part may actually eliminate some of the onerous provisions of state red flag laws. Also there are no provisions for confiscation of AR15s, magazine capacity, or expanding background checks for private transfers. The democrats have shot their wad for the next 30 years or so, just like they did in 1994, and eliminated gun control as a 2022 campaign issue.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (270cowboy, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 40 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.