Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
State level rate of buyers location. For CO buyers, that is another 4%.

Just noticed it today. Maybe you already saw it.

Guessing a competitor ratted them out.

Last edited by SupFoo; 06/24/22.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seriously....a competitor ratted them out? On the sauce already?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What other option do they have? Until the laws are repealed, they must charge the sales tax as applicable to the buyer's state. Do you expect the retailer to eat the tax rate just for your own warm fuzzy?

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
What other option do they have? Until the laws are repealed, they must charge the sales tax as applicable to the buyer's state. Do you expect the retailer to eat the tax rate just for your own warm fuzzy?

You should brush up on your reading comprehension skills. No where did I say, or even imply, Powder Valley should just "eat the sales tax", for my or anyone else's "warm fuzzy" (whatever that means).

And I certainly didn't mean to start a discussion to take a dive into the weeds, but..... as a refresher, online sales tax took the big turn to apply to all online sellers (regardless of physical presence) with the USSC decision in "South Dakota v. Wayfair" in JUNE 2018. And with some exemptions, online sellers were required to collect out of state sales tax beginning then. That was FOUR years ago. Many dragged their feet, some still do. Powder Vally dragged their feet. The large competitors did not and have been collecting for some time - which put Powder Valley pricing at an advantage. Until now.

Their "other option" for four years was to ignore the law. So what prompted their change now after four years? <---- point of the OP - besides alerting buyers who weren't aware.

My only suggestion was one (or more) of their competitors got tired of being at a pricing disadvantage and ratted them out to state taxing authorities, who would likely then send Powder Valley threatening letters. Simple as that.

BTW, something like 46 states have sales tax, so ya, it's kind of a big deal.

Last edited by SupFoo; 06/24/22.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We used to call it interstate commerce. Internet sales hurt the states that collect sales tax so much that they decided we should now pay taxes on out of state purchases.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Gun Broker is doing so as well after avoiding doing so for quite some time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fug the states they steal enough of our money.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Texas has no income tax so we pay a lot more than most in property taxes and sales tax (8.25%).

So we were maybe a little more motivated than others to exercise interstate commerce until recently.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i gladly pay state sales tax. states can't print money like the feds

most fair way for a state to pay its bills.

no such thing as a free lunch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Lord give me the strength to carry on with life now that Powder will charge tax on my purchases like fugging most other businesses.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Dont know how it works but it depends on the state, got nothing to do with Powder Valley. I just bought two pounds of powder from them, no sales tax. Also just bought a pistol on GB, no sales tax. I'm in Missouri and well, I guess you guys are in misery.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, But when I do so do the neighbors."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass
Lord give me the strength to carry on with life now that Powder will charge tax on my purchases like fugging most other businesses.

#staystrong

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by sidepass

I'm praying for you too. 🙏

Medics bury their mistakes..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.