Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Anyone here ever try out one of NECG's Receiver sights that clamp onto the rear scope ring slot of the #1? On their website it says that its "best" to measure the slot on the base of the rifle "before" ordering their sight. It seems like some rifle vary, I guess from worn machining at Ruger plant? Anyhow, I have a #1S in 300WM coming and I still like using receiver sights on some rifles. I would like to hear from others if these are worth fooling with? What has been your experience? Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hi Jim, I had one on a 450/400 #1. I preferred the Skinner. I used the Skinner as a "ghost ring" and it worked quite well. The NECG has, for lack of a better term, wings on the sides of the aperture that block out areas left and right.

The advantage of the NECG is that it can be mounted and removed easily if you want to use a scope, where the Skinner actually mounts through the quarter rib. Also, I should point out that I used a NECG slightly oversized white bead front sight in conjunction with the Skinner. Hope this helps. Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a good synopsis, especially about the NECG being easy to remove. If you note the position of the mounting screw you can remount it to the same position, i.e. same torque, and it will return to zero. Due to the Skinner's windage adjustment being part of the mounting system you'd be hard pressed to remount it and get the exact same windage setting.

They are both set and forget sights. Neither one is that easy to dial in for windage since both need some trial and error, nor are they conducive to rapid adjustments for elevation.

The NECG is much larger and hangs out over the sides of the narrow #1 rail, to me it looks kind of like a big wart sitting there. Since the Skinner lies along the top of the rail and melds into it I found the Skinner to be much more aesthetically pleasing.

Something to check before you buy a Skinner is whether you can remove the two rear rail mounting screws on the Ruger. The rear scope base cutout on the rail is right over a screw. If you have previously mounted a scope and really cranked down on the rear scope base it is definitely possible to squeeze the rail enough to mechanically lock the mounting screw into place. The drive hole in those screws is small and the metal is fairly soft, it will strip out long before you get that screw loose. I know this from personal experience and it is a royal PITA.

I have the Skinner on a #1 and the NECG on two Ruger 77's where they just look better to my eye, but functionally both would serve very well.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are two different NECG aperture sights that can be used on Ruger rifles. The NECG-100 is the original version. It has an aperture that sits fairly high on the base. It is the original version of the NECG sight and is intended for Ruger 77 and No. 1 rifles specifically. The NECG-100G is the ghost ring version, and its aperture sits lower than the 100 and would be more likely to work with the original front sight, although it is not guaranteed to do so. It is advertised as usable on any Ruger with the integral scope mount bases. You might need a taller front sight with either version.

I have used only the 100-G Ghost Ring version on a M77 Gunsight Scout and a M77/357. It worked great with the original front sight on the 77GS, but I needed a higher front sight on the 77/357. I did try it on a Number 1 in .405 WCF and the front sight needed a higher blade, which I never installed.

I really like the NECG 100-G model, and have found it easy to zero and also that it returns precisely to zero when reattached. I have seen the NECG warning about different scope base groove dimensions, but didn't have any troubles on the 3 rifles I used them on.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 06/25/22.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys. I am going to try the factory irons first ( at least to zero them) and have a 2x7 put on the rifle. I'm not convinced how much I will actually use the rifle, but its great to have options! smile

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
… and have a 2x7 put on the rifle. …
Set up like this, a Leupold 2-7x33 gets pretty close to proper eye relief:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But, there’s only a few thousandths clearance between the objective bell and the folded rear sight, as shown here. So, rear sight removal could well be necessary.

Every day’s an adventure.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a long neck and am a "stock crawler". I don't think I will have any problems getting the right eye relief, but one of the rings that I ordered IS an extension ring.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.