Print Thread
Hop To
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Anyone have a toy hauler and use an insulation blanket across the ramp when it is closed?

It was 33 degrees Saturday night in the mountains and the cold was coming through the ramp.
I might replace the seals around the door, but a blanket across the opening might help.

We were warm enough under several layers of blanket, but the furnace ran more than necessary.

GB4

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like a good idea. I try not to camp in weather much colder than that since my TH is a Superlite and doesn't have much for insulation anyway. We have some reflective insulators cut to fit our windows for real hot weather, don't see why they wouldn't work for cold weather. Unless you have dual pane windows I'll bet that's where you get the most heat loss.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I expect I do lose heat through the windows but around the back wall/ramp the cold air blows in pretty hard.

I have used it below zero but it is not supper comfortable.

I have made screens that go across the back wall/ramp to keep the bugs out when it is warm, I just use magnets to hold the screens up but a thermal blanket would be nice to cut down on the air blowing in.

I see they make a blanket to go over a pallet of stuff to maintain temperature which would be sized large enough to cover the back wall.

I was just checking to see if anyone had already done.

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I am glad this summer is cooler than last, but 33 degrees June 26 required more furnace than I would like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
are you talking about air leakage, or losing heat from no insulation?

I bet you can get right sized weather stripping to take care of air leakage.

blanket would probably help with the insulation

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
It is both leaking and the steel is cold. The bed is right next to the ramp so it gets the draft and cold wall.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Go buy a roll of plastic sheeting, used to be called Visqueen, 8’ wide, cut a piece big enough to stick out edges of door shut, should stop your air flow around door. I used to put it on all walls before Sheetrock for dead air space.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check the bottom of your door jamb or door frame. Mine is an open mesh, I guess for ventilation. There were lots of leaks around the door itself at he bottom. I do like that insulating blanket idea.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I spun the tires on the quad backing out when we got home, so I dislodged the bottom gasket which I have that to repair tonight. I can visqueen across the doorway pretty easy to give it a try, see if it makes difference, though I hoping not to be camping at 30 degrees on July 4th weekend.
I saw the pallet blankets that might fit 74x92 but they are $150. Fine if I know they will work.
A little pricey for an experiment.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...LgyfEAQYASABEgI6jPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by KRAKMT; 06/28/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 673, 18 invisible), 1,256 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,128
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.