Watershed goes downhill...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by KFWA
they say it will be at deadpool stage in less than 8 years at this rate

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.

I have always wondered this myself

The Corp is trying hard to re-establish the Delta marshes. That area also is a breadbasket of sorts and provides some hurricanes protection. Salt water intrusion has hurt it badly and that’s accelerating rapidly. Mississippi River outflows and fresh water diversions have helped some. Few folks realize that there’s a wier along the bottom of the Mississippi River that prevents salt water from migrating back up river to new orleans’ Water supply at low river stages.

There’s no easy answers but California should have been de-salinating in massive quantities long ago.

Another issue not being addressed is the condition of the ogalalla reservoir dropping considerably.

Folks in the Texas panhandle are having problems with their water wells and it’s pitting cattlemen against cotton farmers who irrigate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We’re in the worst drought in 1,200 years; it’s going to leave a mark.

It’ll rain again, some day.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I read somewhere that far from being a drought, it’s pretty much a return to normal for the west with the last 150 years or so being the wettest period out there in the last few thousand years. If that’s the case, well, schit is going to have to change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Or stop watering the grass?
Putting water on lawn grass out west ought to be a jail sentence. Of all things water belongs to everyone and car washing and grass watering with water that is public property ought to be stopped.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lake Mead water level tracker, 2017-2022.

https://mead.uslakes.info/Level/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.
Reckon it would be possible to transfer Great Lakes water over the divide? There is a fairly low elevation pass up around the area of West Yellowstone. Surely if we can spend trillions on the crap we already do we could move lake water in huge aqueducts.
Lake Superior is about 600'. The lowest pass over the Rockies is the South Pass in WY at about 7500'. You're talking about some serious pumping to get over that. Without nukes to power the pumps, it's about impossible.

What makes it doubly impossible is our environmental laws. It would take 20 years of litigation to get it approved, if ever.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I read somewhere that far from being a drought, it’s pretty much a return to normal for the west with the last 150 years or so being the wettest period out there in the last few thousand years. If that’s the case, well, schit is going to have to change.

Interesting

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They gonna get thirsty in California

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by Hastings
Reckon it would be possible to transfer Great Lakes water over the divide? There is a fairly low elevation pass up around the area of West Yellowstone. Surely if we can spend trillions on the crap we already do we could move lake water in huge aqueducts.
Yeah. After screwing up one watershed, we could jump right in and try to screw up the whole continent. Holy crap. Turn the Corps of Engineers loose though and they're game for anything. They have a history to live up to. GD
I understand there are all sorts of arguments against it but getting Great Lakes water to Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Wyoming looks to be the most feasible on the map. Getting Mississippi River water from below New Orleans would present a much more serious challenge to get the water into the Colorado above Lake Powell not to mention the salinity/pollution issue. There would be a huge outcry about invasive fish and weeds and all sorts of environmental issues raised but we are talking about a huge part of this country suffering for water while we spend trillions on fighting to keep tyranny in power overseas.

I also have a solution to Gulf Coast erosion. This country has a limitless supply of rocks that could be used to line the coast and trap every bit of sand that washed over during storms. And before that idea is dismissed just come see that Red River in Louisiana was lined with rocks for over 100 miles (both sides= 200) by the Army Corps of Eng. Now Shreveport is a seaport. And Galveston lined their sea front with rocks over 100 years ago with the equipment not near as good as we have now

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Puddles, even massive ones, eventually dry up in the desert.

How about a few more golf courses?😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No one in their right mind moves millions of people into an arid area without a sustainable water supply.

If they do away with the dams and substitute with nuke plants it would take years for a plant to go online because of the regulations involved. People will have to move away is the only alternative.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Nuclear power and desalination plants would make Lake Mead an afterthought. But they won’t do it.

Yes. They don't really want to solve the problem; they want it to become worse so they can exercise more control.

Tarquin
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
The lake is lowering at what seems like an accelerated rate. And its looks like it could be too late for any recourse of action to take place as soon as it looks like it will be needed. Are there no desalination plants in Ca., or not enough or the beginnings of enough to sustain?

Sure, I knew the lake was dropping as I haven't been all the way under a rock. But recently it seems it's WFO & on the quick trip to empty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could pump the water from the Mississippi or Great Lakes using the power generated by the turbines in the Hoover Dam. That way, it would never run out of water! 😜

Politics is War by Other Means
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

They have put us on Watering Rations in our area.

But the Golf Course's get all the water they want.

They need to get the priority's straightened out in this State.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fug a bunch of shipping water to Dry Gulch from other regions. They have the Pacific Ocean at their front door. Try a little distillation. -Hint-

After that they might give consideration to waste water treatment to re-use standards. Recycling is so popular these days, no?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by funshooter

They have put us on Watering Rations in our area.

But the Golf Course's get all the water they want.

They need to get the priority's straightened out in this State.

You realize majority of golf courses in this country use reclaimed water from sewage waste plants. The treatment process for that water is off the charts.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No water in SW Utah, hardly any rain for a year or so, but they keep building and folks keep moving in. Crazy. Don't see how it can last. My wife and I, and a neighbor couple, saw it coming, and moved out.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

30 or 40 years ago there were suggestions from California about tapping into the Columbia River and sending some of that water south. Didn't go over too well in the NW. Placing a number of salmon and steelhead on the endangered species list kind of stopped that thought.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.