Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by ol_mike
That thread title is like a strobe light.

So you're triggered?

I haven’t had a drink since Saturday. Pretty easily triggered right now.

LOL...

A nice brie and mulled wine would be perfect for you current conundrum.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grandpa was a Southern Oregon good old boy and Dad was an Infantry Platoon Sergeant way back when, had us on the firing line at 4 years old. Learned the math later.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That thread title is like a strobe light.

So you're triggered?

I haven’t had a drink since Saturday. Pretty easily triggered right now.

OH I'm sure, hell it's Tuesday and you run a construction business

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I would work on shotgun/clay birds...

THAT... is what every new shooter needs FIRST.

Acquire the target... and pull the trigger in real/practical/functional time.

The rest is just enhancement of skill.

Wish I would have learned sooner.

I don’t even know you guys but liked John’s hook - you’re spot on with starting at the start.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 06/28/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Good evening sir, I hope that the last Tuesday of June behaved itself well enough for you and you're well.

Regarding your query, I'd like to think that after I was 15 it should be possible for old me to impart some shooting skills to a young me.

Prior to that age I knew everything or of course didn't and thought I did, you know? Possibly not that guy then.

However I'm often heard to mutter these days, I wish that I knew how to spot game and pattern their behavior at 30 like I do now 30 more years later. Conversely it'd be nice to feel the mountains beneath my legs with 30 year old models again instead of the 6 decade ones!

As a broad statement we usually find younger males can be challenging to instruct and most females are more attentive to the details. It might be just that they've paid for it so doggone it they're going to get all they can out of it? Not sure there sir.

Thanks for the thread and for making me think.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/28/22. Reason: hit enter way, way too soon.... I'm old...

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
1200 yard shots on elk ain't my thing.

30 yards and in with a recurve is my thing.

So could you teach young you some trad bow skillz?
I've taught a few, my nephew is the only one that stuck with it. It's not for everyone. It's difficult to master.

True it's hard to master, I worked at it in the late 70's, with a Bear 45lb. recurve.
Had a friend who wanted to take a couple of shots, he was a super-natural, shot as good as me and had never shot a bow.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Current me would force younger me to wear ear protection. Not doing so has created a flinch I’ve spent 15+yrs trying to ameliorate. If I get rushed and don’t take just a split second to tell myself, “squeeze”, I jerk the trigger, roll my shoulder into the recoil, and peek over the scope all at the same time.

It started out by “shrugging” my shoulders trying to “hide” from the noise and got worse from there.

I shot 3-4 seasons of F-Class @ a local range and it greatly improved my shooting form, as long as I remember to take that split second to tell myself “squeeze”.

I dip the muzzle something fierce with a handgun if any sort, even 22LR. Just need more practice.

I’m pretty pleased w/my shotgunning. I grew up in the middle of great upland country during the height of CRP acres. Shotgun opportunities were beyond plentiful.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
1200 yard shots on elk ain't my thing.

30 yards and in with a recurve is my thing.

So could you teach young you some trad bow skillz?
I've taught a few, my nephew is the only one that stuck with it. It's not for everyone. It's difficult to master.

True it's hard to master, I worked at it in the late 70's, with a Bear 45lb. recurve.
Had a friend who wanted to take a couple of shots, he was a super-natural, shot as good as me and had never shot a bow.
A lot of truth there. I was blessed and took to it easily, must be a hand/eye coordination thing. I quit using compounds in the late 90s but have been thinking about taking them up again. The new compounds are just incredible machines.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Uh, Mr. Burns. Since your attention seems to be on this thread I'd lake to take up a mater with you.

Seems many years go, I sent hard earned money for a 4 CD set of shootin long range, bedding rifles, loading for & such. 3 of the CD's weren't too bad & I might have gained some knowledge.

But that damn... how to outfit a horse for elk hunting was a part of my life I'll never get back. So, I'd like a $25 refund for that.

Would you like my address?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
John;
However I'm often heard to mutter these days, I wish that I knew how to spot game and pattern their behavior at 30 like I do now 30 more years later. Conversely it'd be nice to feel the mountains beneath my legs with 30 year old models again instead of the 6 decade ones!

Dwayne

Actually this line of thought made me think the same thing.

I can't believe how little about spotting and patterning I understood.

I left a lot of horns in the hills by simply not knowing how to look.

Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted by horse1
Current me would force younger me to wear ear protection. Not doing so has created a flinch I’ve spent 15+yrs trying to ameliorate. If I get rushed and don’t take just a split second to tell myself, “squeeze”, I jerk the trigger, roll my shoulder into the recoil, and peek over the scope all at the same time.

It started out by “shrugging” my shoulders trying to “hide” from the noise and got worse from there.

I shot 3-4 seasons of F-Class @ a local range and it greatly improved my shooting form, as long as I remember to take that split second to tell myself “squeeze”.

I dip the muzzle something fierce with a handgun if any sort, even 22LR. Just need more practice.

I’m pretty pleased w/my shotgunning. I grew up in the middle of great upland country during the height of CRP acres. Shotgun opportunities were beyond plentiful.

Correcting things early on is sure a lot easier than fixing years of a bad habit.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Loading techniques and good shooting form, follow through, etc. on and off the bench.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a certified NRA instructor and also a certified JMIC instructor and teach marksmanship as part of my NJROTC class. I was also a range officer when I was on active duty. Taught everything from the M9 handgun to the MK44 minigun and the M2 50 cal. I was personally qualified as exoert on 9 weapon platforms. So yaeh, the current me can instruct.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Loading techniques and good shooting form, follow through, etc. on and off the bench.

That's one of those things that is very hard to self learn but for really fine field shooting is so very important.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Uh, Mr. Burns. Since your attention seems to be on this thread I'd lake to take up a mater with you.

Seems many years go, I sent hard earned money for a 4 CD set of shootin long range, bedding rifles, loading for & such. 3 of the CD's weren't too bad & I might have gained some knowledge.

But that damn... how to outfit a horse for elk hunting was a part of my life I'll never get back. So, I'd like a $25 refund for that.

Would you like my address?

That was one of the most favored sections.

We had a "Never Miss Again" money back guarantee but I sold that company to Best of the West many years ago.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J.B.

You are one of my favorite posters. I wrote an essay about this. Most certainly I could help young me with that essay. I called it, The Making of a Rifleman.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
J.B.

You are one of my favorite posters. I wrote an essay about this. Most certainly I could help young me with that essay. I called it, The Making of a Rifleman.

^^^This^^^ is quite the ringing endorsement!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I don’t even know you guys but liked John’s hook - you’re spot on with starting at the start.

John plays lots of "Reindeer Games" and shuns Rudolph and Cornelius types with unwarranted drivel...

BUT young/new shooter popping clays to build functionality is sound logic...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
J.B.

Don't be jelly, I'll take it.

Thanks Ringman.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

John plays lots of "Reindeer Games" and shuns Rudolph and Cornelius types with unwarranted drivel...

BUT young/new shooter popping clays to build functionality is sound logic...

I am on a roll, another fan checking in.

Thanks Cash. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Burns... I get that you think you are smarter than Einstein... and better looking than Elvis.

But actually... you are not.

Carry on with the drivel.

Truth is... you do have a fair bit to offer... but simply cannot get out of your own way most of the time.

I am certain this is NOT the first time anyone has ever told you this.

That is the point.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
J.B.

Don't be jelly, I'll take it.

Thanks Ringman.

Jelly... Pfft. Ringman loves Kingston.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 73 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,783
Posts18,495,955
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.