-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife insisted that we go spend a couple nights fishing a mountain lake. I really wanted to go to Idaho bear hunting, but her protest level was high enough that we headed for a Washington mountain lake.

We loaded up in our excursion and tossed the 12' foldabote on and landed a great camp on the water. Fishing was a bit slow beginning until we found the fish as the water is waaaay high right now. We started hooking fish on our 4 and 5 weight fly rods with a fish every 10 minutes or less and ended up with some true pig rainbows. I had one at 8lbs one at 6 and a bunch at 2 to 5lbs. It was pretty incredible.

The trip home made things a bit more stressful. We were 100 miles from home and closing in when I heard the sound of boost leaking.... crap. Quick scan of gauges as I processed what was going on and all was well. The mirror showed all was not well. Serious smoke. Shut down the highway smoke.

I was less than a mile from a small town and figured I'd head that way and monitor gauges hoping for the best. I made it to a safe spot and parked expecting a tow. Shut down all was normal minus the sound of my turbo scrubbing the housing. The excursion was pouring oil out the exhaust and it was obvious that the turbo was cooked. I called for the hook.

$422.00 later the fine fellows at Newport towing showed up just as my neighbor did to grab the wife and kids. Newport towing was the outfit who grabbed my stolen truck for me so I was happy to toss them my bucks. They hooked the excursion to their 6.7 and drug it home. I think my 7.3 does very well based on my sample of one loaded ride in a 6.7.

Monday morning rolls around too soon after a late Sunday and the wife offers to get everyone out of the house and I can have time to dive in. I love this.

She bails and I start calling people....but everyone is at the pikes peak race. I am going to lose one day to this....but I want some opinions before I commit on a turbo.

Not 20 minutes goes by and the brown truck stops and tosses me a new 2b bartlein in 308/10. Sweet! I'll go spin me up a new 300win and ease my mind.

I'm 10 minutes into finally making chips and my DRO chits the bed. Perfect. I pull some numbers and decided to rough it in on the dials and then I'll set up some travel indicators. I leave .005 according to the dials and shut down to set up my indicators....holy crap! I landed on my hard measurement....lucky. I finished the chambering on indicators and it turned out sweet.

Neighbor calls me at 5:30am and says I need to come try out his new shooting range....incredible timing. I do and suddenly forgot about the work ahead.

My rig has larger injectors and after discussing with several sources I decided on a KC stage 1 turbo....and as luck would have it, there's one 30 miles from me in Spokane. I stuffed it in last night and will finish it up in a bit after my boots dry from the cleaning.

What a emotional roller-coaster of a weekend. Sorry about the lack of fish pics.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes things turn out fine when we think our gooses are cooked. Sounds like you had unexpected expenses, but those are to be expected!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad things turned out for you and no disrespect but I understood about as much as I do reading a post from Stick.

Thats on me not you. I envy your abiliteis.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am officially jealous. You have some serious skills and a wife who loves to fish. Yea, I'm jealous as hell.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw happy ending in the thread title... and for some reason expected something different... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After my Saab 99 ate it's turbo seals twice, I said to myself no more fidgety fast turbo charged engines for me. That smoke screen behind you sure changes your plans in a hurry.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least the breakdown was after the fishing, and that sounds like a great trip...been awhile since I had some heavy rainbows hooked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you got into some nice rainbows! Jealous here..

But not of turbo.. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Busy weekend. None of it would have happened to me. Any fish I caught would have been measured in inches rather than pounds. I drive a Cummins so it would not have broken down. If had borrowed someone's Ford, it might have broken down but, since I don't have a cell phone, I would not have been able to call for help. Instead, I would have had to hitch hike home, get one of the other trucks and the trailer, and haul the borrowed Ford home. The trailer would have a flat tire so I'd have to buy another on the way out. My wife would lend moral support by telling me I should have replaced the tire long before but that would require some planning ahead which I never do.
I would not have chambered a 300 Win but might have done a 30-338 or 308 Norma. I've been depending on the dials for 45 years so that's no big deal.
I'd better go pull that tire off the gooseneck. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a cummins as well....they all need work. My dodge gets more track bars than tire rotations.

Good news is the turbo is in and running. Waaaay quieter than the old 38 with the wicked wheel.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of Dad's favorite sayings was "Diesels are just like sex- - - - -highly overrated and stinky!" Smart man! I miss him a lot!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Busy weekend. None of it would have happened to me. Any fish I caught would have been measured in inches rather than pounds. I drive a Cummins so it would not have broken down. If had borrowed someone's Ford, it might have broken down but, since I don't have a cell phone, I would not have been able to call for help. Instead, I would have had to hitch hike home, get one of the other trucks and the trailer, and haul the borrowed Ford home. The trailer would have a flat tire so I'd have to buy another on the way out. My wife would lend moral support by telling me I should have replaced the tire long before but that would require some planning ahead which I never do.
I would not have chambered a 300 Win but might have done a 30-338 or 308 Norma. I've been depending on the dials for 45 years so that's no big deal.
I'd better go pull that tire off the gooseneck. GD
Yeah Fords, at least thumbing a ride you probably would of got laid on the way home.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm averaging about $1500 every 100k on my diesel trucks. I'll take that considering they are always working if they're running.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.