Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Over the years my closest shot was 8 foot from the tree I had my climber attached to. The longest shot was approx. 225 yards.

For most of my 45+ years of hunting I have used 3-9 x 40 or 3.5-10 x 40. I have also used 2-7, 1.75-5, 2.5-8.

Several years ago I did my own little experiment. I set all of my variable power scopes to 6x. I did this for two years - and never moved the magnification ring.

I took several deer and hogs over the course of those two years. I made shots as close as 15 yards and as far out and 100+ yards. Shots were taken over open food plots, in the pines, and in hardwood bottoms.

I was never hindered by the 6x magnigication. I never thought about it. In fact, I found it convienient to just pick up the rifle, lay the cross hairs on target, and pull the trigger.

I purchased a fixed 6x with Post and Duplex recticle. It's an awesome scope. You might be suprised what you can do with a fixed power scope - if - that is all you have.

Other than at the range, I am not taking shots over 200 yards. Distances over that just do not present themselves.

For me it's simple. Fixed 6x or 3-9x40

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Over the years my closest shot was 8 foot from the tree I had my climber attached to. The longest shot was approx. 225 yards.

For most of my 45+ years of hunting I have used 3-9 x 40 or 3.5-10 x 40. I have also used 2-7, 1.75-5, 2.5-8.

Several years ago I did my own little experiment. I set all of my variable power scopes to 6x. I did this for two years - and never moved the magnification ring.

I took several deer and hogs over the course of those two years. I made shots as close as 15 yards and as far out and 100+ yards. Shots were taken over open food plots, in the pines, and in hardwood bottoms.

I was never hindered by the 6x magnigication. I never thought about it. In fact, I found it convienient to just pick up the rifle, lay the cross hairs on target, and pull the trigger.

I purchased a fixed 6x with Post and Duplex recticle. It's an awesome scope. You might be suprised what you can do with a fixed power scope - if - that is all you have.

Other than at the range, I am not taking shots over 200 yards. Distances over that just do not present themselves.

For me it's simple. Fixed 6x or 3-9x40
I did the same a few years back. Set my scope on my primary deer rifle for Alabama on 7 and left it there all season. Really no issues. My shots ate 30 yards out to 225 with 90 % 100-150. Worked pretty good.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 4.5x14’s and 3.5x10’s. Point and shoot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A scope's a sight not a toy just shoot the fuggen thing.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
A scope's a sight not a toy just shoot the fuggen thing.

Wrong! A scope is a status symbol. Then it is a toy. And a spotting scope and among other things, it is a sight.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is some stupid amateur BS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recall reading one of O’Connor’s books where he was big on the 4x scope and I ran one for many years on my .270 Win. Now I prefer variables in the 2-10x range.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Overthinking it
2-10 is one and Done for 99% of your big game hunting needs. IMHO you don’t need more than 12x for big game, unless you’re a size queen or plan on 1000 + yards..

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder what hunters like O’Conner would use today given the options of today.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Back in the day, the rule of thumb was 1 power for every hundred yards of the intended target. 4x fit the bill for most hunters. Times have changed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure why anyone tries to dictate by personal preference or some ridiculous "formula" what scopes we should be using. But then, I can never figure out why people ask questions like "what scope should I put on _____ rifle" ? ....

I'm of the opinion you simply can't overscope a rifle. If you have more at the top end you seldom use, who cares? As long as the bottom end works for you the extra X's are just an added option like and option on your new truck you only use occasionally, but is sure is nice when you use it...

For varmint hunting I like as much magnification as I can reasonably get. Some of the critters are pretty small and a long ways out and others, like coyotes, tend to hide behind sage brush and other things while they plot their path to the attractant. In either case a bit more power can make a shot possible where less may leave you empty handed.

Another time I use the upper end of my scopes is when I spot a herd of elk or deer in a wood line. Often they mix it up as they move back and forth so it is important to detect which is the legal animal and which one isn't at any moment and when you have a clear shot- with no small bushes or trees in your line of travel. Sometimes you can do this with less power, but it is much easier if you can crank it up and watch for as long as you want until a shot presents itself.

All the OP's post indicates to me is the ever present situation we find on this site and others that tells us that different areas of the country dictate different hunting tactics- or guys on these forums often like to repeat what they read in some magazine to enlighten us all. Either way, I'll still use what I feel comfortable with and I doubt that will be a 6X scope any time soon....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/03/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm of the opinion you simply can't overscope a rifle. If you have more at the top end you seldom use, who cares? As long as the bottom end works for you the extra X's are just an added option like and option on your new truck you only use occasionally, but is sure is nice when you use it...
Except that more magnification brings with it other trade-offs. A lot of this is personal preference, but there is such a thing as "overscoping" a rifle, depending on the application and preference of the user.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Except that more magnification brings with it other trade-offs. A lot of this is personal preference, but there is such a thing as "overscoping" a rifle, depending on the application and preference of the user.

I guess I should modify my statement above- no such thing as overscoping a rifle as long as it suits your needs... but the point is that I don't think anyone needs a formula to choose the correct scope for their situation. Experience is and always will be the best teacher and 99% of the guys on this site have plenty of experience to decide for themselves what works... are we still just talking about power here or are other things coming into consideration by your statement? Weight? Size? Fit on your rifle? etc....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

Everyone knows Jack would use a 4-16X.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Dre
Overthinking it
2-10 is one and Done for 99% of your big game hunting needs. IMHO you don’t need more than 12x for big game, unless you’re a size queen or plan on 1000 + yards..

Or if your 12X doesn't show you if what you found with your binos, you can crank your 5-25X up to 25X and see a stub of a broken point making it legal.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

Who cares? Everyone wants to know what would Elmer Kieth would be using

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Ringman

Who cares? Everyone wants to know what would Elmer Kieth would be using

Of course he would use what John Lachuk told him to use.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Overthinking it
This is pretty much the way I see it, but to each their own. People have different personal preferences and some like more magnification.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I guess I should modify my statement above- no such thing as overscoping a rifle as long as it suits your needs... but the point is that I don't think anyone needs a formula to choose the correct scope for their situation. Experience is and always will be the best teacher and 99% of the guys on this site have plenty of experience to decide for themselves what works... are we still just talking about power here or are other things coming into consideration by your statement? Weight? Size? Fit on your rifle? etc....

Bob
I agree.

I'm also talking about other optical design properties that are inseparable from magnification, like FOV, exit pupil, etc. There are trade-offs, and each user needs to choose a specific set of design features that suits their needs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This or that may be one thing, but one must make yourself happy.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.