Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have experience cleaning up and then shooting cases/cartridges that have gone through varying degrees of fire/steam damage? My first impression is that it wasn't worth trying to clean up, but I fired some of the .22 and it functioned fine so I'm wading into the idea that some of it may be salvageable. There's rimfire on up to .45-70.

Examples:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
0000 steel wool too clean up brass.

As far as firing ammo that's been in a fire I am not too sure I would be too fond of it, especially in centerfire cartridges.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/02/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Flitz and 0000 steel wool.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I should have added that theres quite a bit of live ammo, so the idea of tumbling it in bulk has appeal, as opposed to hand-cleaning each round. If anyone has experience with this I'd like to hear about it.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
0000 steel wool too clean up brass.

As far as firing ammo that's been in a fire I am not too sure I would be too fond of it, especially in centerfire cartridges.

I'm with you... not particularly keen on the idea. But, thats why I'd like to hear from anyone with some experience, be it first hand or otherwise.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I should have added that theres quite a bit of live ammo, so the idea of tumbling it in bulk has appeal, as opposed to hand-cleaning each round. If anyone has experience with this I'd like to hear about it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835597?pid=476992

You need the thread holder that chucks up in a cordless drill and appropriate thread shellholder to hold cartridge.

A few fast spins with the drill and some 0000 wool and things will look good. 10 seconds per cartridge maximum between putting it in the holder and taking it out.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/02/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That’s too bad, hate to see it go to waste, but I think I would dig a hole and dispose of them.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They used to say that tumbling loaded ammo could change the burning rate of the powder by messing up the coatings.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
I have put old WW-2 30-06 ammo in my Lyman, and tumbled it clean, with no problems,it shoots good for what it is. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835597?pid=476992

You need the thread holder that chucks up in a cordless drill and appropriate thread shellholder to hold cartridge.

A few fast spins with the drill and some 0000 wool and things will look good. 10 seconds per cartridge maximum between putting it in the holder and taking it out.
When doing this, I prefer a strip off of a ScotchBrite pad instead of steel wool. You can cut it with a pair of scissors. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If the brass looks damaged to the point you don't want to fire it, and it's factory loaded, pull the bullets and "reload" the bullet and powder into another primed case. The bullets could be tumbled before loading.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A burst case and the possibility of chamber and/or bolt face damage or injury to the shooter needs to be considered against the value of salvaging a few rounds. I'm a cheapskate, but I'm not stupid. Trash 'em!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
A burst case and the possibility of chamber and/or bolt face damage or injury to the shooter needs to be considered against the value of salvaging a few rounds. I'm a cheapskate, but I'm not stupid. Trash 'em!

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Powder is a chemical compound and when subjected to temperature excursions beyond what’s predictable and expected, can change in ways we can’t predict. Throw the stuff out

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone have experience cleaning up and then shooting cases/cartridges that have gone through varying degrees of fire/steam damage? My first impression is that it wasn't worth trying to clean up, but I fired some of the .22 and it functioned fine so I'm wading into the idea that some of it may be salvageable. There's rimfire on up to .45-70.

Examples:

Thanks

Tumbler with stainless steel pins, Dawn dish detergent and Lemi-Shine.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pull all of the bullets and deprime then into the tumbler

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are too nasty for me. Maybe tumble (outside on concrete) then pull. But I wouldn't do it for batches less than 100. Tumbling powder makes me nervous, corrosion makes me nervous, unknown heat makes me REALLY nervous. You could have some fun building a fire over all of it, snap crackle pop, but no shootie for me.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I hear ya. Unfortunately its a lot more than a few rounds or it would be a no-brainer, I'd save the brass and toss the rest. And some of the ammo looks just fine. Look at the boxes in the photos - it just got steamed for a short while. I just don't know where to draw the line.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I hear ya. Unfortunately its a lot more than a few rounds or it would be a no-brainer, I'd save the brass and toss the rest. And some of the ammo looks just fine. Look at the boxes in the photos - it just got steamed for a short while. I just don't know where to draw the line.
The only way to know where to draw the line is to cross it. Good luck.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pull the loaded center fire ammo down and tumble wet in ss media. If the brass got too hot you’ll know when you go to load it and the case collapses. I’d toss the powder.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Pull the loaded center fire ammo down and tumble wet in ss media. If the brass got too hot you’ll know when you go to load it and the case collapses. I’d toss the powder.

This is the way I am leaning.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.