Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Any one from New England or New York? I have seen some beech mast but Acorns are lacking so far up here.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think the number of acorns isn't as important as the type of acorns.

Red oak acorns seem to me to be eaten last, and they're huge, which must mean the deer don't particularly cottton to their tate.

White oak acorns are the favorites of deer around here. Probably they're less acidic than red-oak. Of the varios other species, like water oak, they seem to be a second choice as well.

I haven't been in the woods this year, but my buddy killed two on Saturday with a bow. He didn't mention a lot of mast, but it could very well be.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
We have virtually no acorns in NE Bama......freeze during the time the oaks were blooming got most of them I'm assuming. Teh squirrels are running around like crazy looking for a meal....and this seems to be a high population year for them too. Gonna be some hungry critters around here 'bout January.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Big crop in my area of Michigan. It is making the bow hunting more difficult this year. All of the oaks are dropping a ton of acorns. Deer aren't concentrating their feeding under just a few trees. I had four bucks almost wander under my "chosen" oak this past weekend. Al

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There appears to be an average acorn crop on the 120 acres that I hunt here in the Southern Tier of NY. There are many around but not as many as last year. I have about a dozen hickory trees in my yard. On a few, the nuts are large and plentiful. The rest are not producing that well this year.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Face it, the SE is now The Great Red Clay Desert after this summer. We have some acorns from White Oak and Red Oak here north of the metropolis, but soil is very dry. Lake Lanier looks like a bath tub after some one pulled the plug. Need serious rain!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have both red and white oak on my property here in northern NJ.
There's been a steady bombardment on my roof for about three weeks.There has generally been a pretty good crop of acorns,but nothing compared to several years we had in the mid nineties.
My kids had no trouble filling about ten of those large paper leaf sacks that were so popular back then,our property at the time was 150x150 feet,we had about thirty oaks.
Took 'em all up to deer camp and layed out about five piles.The deer didn't really seem to find them until the season was about over,but kept digging them out from under the snow all winter that year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muley270
I have lived in Northern California most of my life and I don't think I have ever seen this many acorns on the ground.

They have been falling Heavy for about a month. When the wind blows its almost like rain...except they make a bunch of noise when they hit the truck or the roof of the house.

Anybody else in other areas of the country seeing the same?

How far North are you? I'm just off the Delta and we have more Acorns here than I've ever seen, not only mass amounts, but the biggest ones I've ever seen.

I'm thinking this might be one of those once in 25 - 30 year Oddities, that the Banned-Tailed Pigeons alter their Migration Route, come out of the Mountains, and swing down into the lower foothills, maybe make it to the valley. They're a Kick to hunt, near imposible to get close to them in the mountains, but when they come down to lower elevations = take lots of ammo - they're deceptively fast and TOUGH to bring down!

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am 40 miles North East of Sacramento in the Foothills.
You are right on the size....definitely bigger than normal.

The last time I hunted Band Tailed Pigeons was quite a few moons ago up on the Trinity River....It was a blast but NOT easy hunting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.