Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got a phone call at work from my mom. Said that clod had gotten ahold of a deer and she needed to know where the ammo was so she could put it down.

Clod had been scratching at the door trying to get in, and when mom opened the door an saw he was coverd in blood, she new somethin was up. And clod was more than happy to show my mom what he done.

The deer turned out to be a yearling. From what it looks like to me is that he was chasin it, like ussual. But he got ahold of the tail. I found the tail bout 25 yards from the deer.

Clod is 1 1/2 year old black lab/hound mix that lives to chase anything. he has 3 fenced acres with hot wire srung around the bottom so they dont go under it, that he runs around on, and since he chases deer I dont bring him in the woods with me. I have seen him out run a full grown doe that was running on full throtle. But he has never done this. The only thin he has ever killed have been digger squirrels and the occasional bird that he catches.

Now, what to do? How do I handle this so that it doesnt happen again?

Heres all 65lbs of clod
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 10/15/07.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He may not have killed the deer. I had a German shepherd mix once that got after a spotted fawn and she couldn't catch it and
Dixie was one fast dog. He probably just came across the deer that was already dead for just a short time and chowed down.

I wouldn't condemn the dog. He was just doing what dogs do. It's his nature.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If you have proof the dog killed the deer there isn't any question. Dog should be takin a dirt nap.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
ok I worded it wrong. The deer was still alive, until my mom put the doe down. However it wouldnt have been alive for much longer.

I have watched this dog gain ground on a running deer. He will swing wide so as to steer the deer away from the fence so he can chase it some more.

Your right it may have not been him. But from the tracks, the injuries i am thinkin it was him.

I'll know more about what happend when mom gets home from work.
lil brothers shook up a lil I believe. He had to hold the flashlight so mom could shoot it. And my lil brother dont like to see anything die.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
AJ300mag

Cant do that. That dog is more family to me than alot of my family.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm kind of shocked you put this on a public forum as ODFW and OSP could press charges. I do agree with AJ300MAG, however they can be broke. Retrieve the deers bladder, soak the pee in a rag, put it in a gunny sack, tie it around the dogs head and shock the [bleep] out of him with a shock collar.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
If you have proof the dog killed the deer there isn't any question. Dog should be takin a dirt nap.

WHY???? The deer was in his territory. Inside the fenced 3 acres. The deer wasn't a pet. It was wild.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not good..in the old days, we would have shot the dog..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That is a pretty cool dog. Why would anyone kill a dog that ran down a deer? Would you kill a dog that ran down a squirrel? It is just doing what dogs do.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
where I come from we would put him in a dog box and take him hunting if he is part hound that is what he was bred to do run game! have a great day!

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I know and shooting it would have been the first thing I would have said if it were somebody else's dog.

But its a lil different with the tables being turned.
Got family that have screwed up alot worse than clod did, an they are still walkin around. Why should it be any different with the 4 legged family?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a real dog eh!?
In the right place and time...he'd be worth his weight in gold.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd teach that bruiser to kill yotes.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
yup, has the ears, muscel tone, tail, and lankiness of a hound. Also sounds like one when he starts talkin, and has a nose like no other.

But still the family dog mentality of a lab.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dog would be worth good money in the South where they still use dogs for deer hunting. He just did what came natural, not his fault. He doesn't know the difference between a deer and a coon.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
hard to teach it to kill yotes, they go on eveybodys property around ours but not on ours, Cant figure that out. But when they start howlin an talking, he is out patrollin the fence line lettin them know where he's at lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Difficult decision. I am glad that its not mine to make. My first thought is to destroy the dog, but then............... well........
Like I said, I am glad the decision is not mine to make.

Sam......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So we wait until the dog chases a running kid and takes him/her down?

I've seen a guy who trains bird dogs make a small electricfied cage, place some venison in it and let puppies shock the chit out of their nose until they learned a lesson. Don't know if it would work on an adult dogs. I do know I stopped my shorthair from climbing fences by putting one strand of wire on the top. She walked the perimeter of the fence looking for a gap. We turned the power off a few years ago but left the wire up. She hasn't tried to escape since the wire was installed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How'd he get the name Clod?

Also, in the future you might want to wash your hands and body real good when you come home from deer hunting. Wouldn't want to smell too much like a deer... whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A good shock collar and the right time and place will probably cure him of that...

I recall reading of putting dogs like that in a drum with a deer hide and deer pee and rolling it down a hillside too.... I wouldn't but probably would work.

The shock collar is a really good tool used correctly.

Dogs are wolves, thats what wolves do. Don't understand that folks are amazed or wanting to shoot the dogs, they simply need some guidance/training. Every dog I've met has been better than about 90% of the people I know.

BTW don't know about yotes, anything with lab blood in them would run till they die... and they are not built for coyote speed, but if a lanky greyhound could wear the yote down, the lab could do the rest of it...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (204guy, 12344mag, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,428
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.