Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Abridged version:

A month ago the dogs get skunked. Not the first time.

Instead of grabbing the hose and Dawn, this time I grab the SR22, find the skunk and dump a 10 round mag of stingers in his ass.

A month later the dogs still stink like skunk, but the skunk carcass..... For all that is Holy. The skunk carcass still smells like the direct hit my GSP took in 2020.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m confused as to the first “it”. Shooting the skunk? Sure, if you burn it right after you shoot it. Not cleaning the dogs? Nope, clean em 50 times if you have to! Having dogs in the first place? Living in a place with lots of skunks? To each their own, on those two questions. If it makes ya feel any better, shooting varmints makes me feel better. Totally worth it. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
SR22 around these parts is acronym for DUI insurance

Kinda pricey too as I've heard.

Was alcohol involved?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You just didn't follow up!

1) Wash dogs with hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/Dawn dish liquid.

2) Haul the skunk off.

wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dogs suck. Get a cat and be happy.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve had mine sprayed several times, one dog two days straight until he learned his lesson. Never worried about killing the skunk, skunk doing skunk things. Dogs learned though. We had one last night in the field behind the house, they just stayed on the porch watching it.

I wonder if it was the smell or the bath afterwards that they remember most?????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dog caught a skunk under the bird feeder about a month ago. As posted above hydrogen peroxide baking soda and Dawn dish soap rinse wash repeat until the odor is gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got a brush pile going? If so, toss that sucker on top and give it a Viking funeral....that's what I do to my death row inmates.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We tried a bunch of odor removal methods, but skunk off seems to be great stuff. The labs get the shampoo and the spray.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=skunk+off&ref=nb_sb_noss

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had a drunk skunk walking a circle around one of the cars in the driveway in January. No chit, he staggered in a circle for an hour around all four tires.

Them he started trying to wedge under my deck skirting along bottom of my side porch.

Both labs were up on the deck with me. They were not sprayed and were like “no foucking way are we messing with that pole cat” 🤣🤣

I went to pop a cap in him and the blazer ammo wouldnt fire. Like Divine Intervention.

My son scooped him up in a plastic dog house and shuttled him a couple hundred yards from the house. Never sprayed. Thank goodness

IC B3

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, a quarter-cup of baking soda, and a teaspoon of liquid dish soap. Breaks up the oil in the fur from the skunk.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You just didn't follow up!

1) Wash dogs with hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/Dawn dish liquid.

2) Haul the skunk off.

wink

Does the job well.
Only time you will notice is if he gets wet, that takes awhile to go away.
The Boxer, it was totally gone in a few weeks.
Long haired dogs will last longer.

But it's not bad, just a hint of PissKitty.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MLC
Quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, a quarter-cup of baking soda, and a teaspoon of liquid dish soap. Breaks up the oil in the fur from the skunk.

Yep, done it several times. Last fall in a hotel room in sodak.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Back when we had heelers we kept a 1/2 gallon of tomato juice in the trunk, cut the scent quite a bit.

I sorta like the smell of skunk.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My GSP's killed 3 skunks last year one was a huge male, they got sprayed all right but that only pissed them off and they crushed each skunk's bones, it took some time to get them cleaned each time using baking soda and Hydrogen Peroxide, but they were happy with each kill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Back when we had heelers we kept a 1/2 gallon of tomato juice in the trunk, cut the scent quite a bit.

The essence of skunk is used in making many perfumes…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel

As is pig urine!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rlott
Abridged version:

A month ago the dogs get skunked. Not the first time.

Instead of grabbing the hose and Dawn, this time I grab the SR22, find the skunk and dump a 10 round mag of stingers in his ass.

A month later the dogs still stink like skunk, but the skunk carcass..... For all that is Holy. The skunk carcass still smells like the direct hit my GSP took in 2020.

Skunks get an automatic dirtnap from me, if a firearm is available to me at the moment of contact. Fu*k 'em....

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Brother and I were walking up the road going back to the truck one night after coon hunting. I had my little redtick English bitch (boy, she was a good dog) on a leash when she struck right there on the roadside. She'd never been trashy (unlike my first exwife) so I unclipped her and away she went down the side of the road. About three seconds after I let her go I saw the two little red pinpoints reflecting my Wheat Light about ten feet in front of her. I hollered, but it was too late...that green phosphorescent cloud was something to see. Dog rolling and yipping like my brother did the time he got a close-range blast of skunk when we were kids. (My wife always wants me to tell that story whenever the conversation gets around to skunks or kids who go feral once school gets out.)

That's the only time I've had to deal with a skunked dog but, then again, I've never thought it was good policy to let dogs run loose and unsupervised, especially after dark and especially if you let them stay in the house which I've never been a big advocate of with field breeds of dogs.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yep.

Eau De Conrad being popular.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.