Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The dog doesnt chase kids. He will play with them yes. He plays a lil different depending on the age of the kid. I have watched him steal the socks of a babys feet before, and jump in the middle of a wrestlin match between 2 16 year olds.

I'll put the shock collar on him and put him on a leash an take him down to where I put the doe. If he starts in its direction or anything like that I'll hit the button. Maybe it'll help.

The hot wire stopped him from goin under the fence.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
How'd he get the name Clod?

Lets just say he is clumsy. When I got my deer, he was pretty interested in it at first. But after a couple days of it hanging, he didnt even give it a second look.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Would be a waste of a good Lab to teach it to run 'yotes. First dog would lure the Lab out, two others will attack the Lab from behind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
AJ300mag

Cant do that. That dog is more family to me than alot of my family.

You and I are alike in that regard. If the deer was inside your fenced in area there's no problem. The dog was protecting his turf and the likelihood of it happening again is remote.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dogs that chase deer on other people's land risk getting shot, at least in my state. But this is on your own fenced in property. Hopefully your dog has other redeeming qualities, such as being a great family pet. For hunting he is worthless.

Have an A1 Day!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tell you what I'd do as it is not a popular decision obviously...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Dog would be worth good money in the South where they still use dogs for deer hunting. He just did what came natural, not his fault. He doesn't know the difference between a deer and a coon.

Hunting deer with dogs is almost extinct in this part of the country (lower Alabama). It may still be done in some areas but they are dying out fast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad about the dead deer, but its just another animal as far as Clods concerned and if it had been a squirrel or a rabbit nobody else would care either. Dogs do what they do - sometimes it aint pretty.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
So we wait until the dog chases a running kid and takes him/her down?

Is that a legit concern, is taking down a deer an indicator that the dog would graduate to a human? Does anyone know if that is really a valid relationship?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a bumper sticker that reads, "The more people I meet, the more I love my dog".

That about sums up my view(although 10-15 yrs ago I'd probably been with AJ300mag).

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
Hopefully your dog has other redeeming qualities, such as being a great family pet. For hunting he is worthless.

Yup I am aware of that. I take him out with me looing for grouse and quail a couple time a year tough. But he is tied to a 20 foot lead at all times, when we do that. As I wont take the chance of him running deer or anything else.

And yes he has other qualities. He is the resident dork and officiall disturber of the peace on our property. Also a good family dog, after he calms down.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You should have seen what the wife did to my shorthair when she found a dead bunny in the back yard. Same woman who goes overboard tryin to keep the rabbits out of her flowers. crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before you go training the dog,,,,,,,,,,you gotta train the owner. Shocking the dog cause he's going where the deer WAS will accomplish nothing. Take your dog with his collar on and find a deer for him to chase. Let him start the persuit. Let him build some aggressivness and then shock the living hell out of him. then try the exercise again and repeat till he gets the message. As long as the dog isn't mean and vicious, then don't be alarmed. He's only doing what his instinct tells him to do. As long as John Law isn't knocking on your door, a little extra venison never hurt anyone. I agree though, this discussion doesn't belong in an open forum.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Im not going to shock him where the deer WAS.

the deer was drug down to the lower property. I was going to bring him down there on a long leash. If he steered clear of the deer thats good. But if he headed for it then I was going to buzz him.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
I'd teach that bruiser to kill yotes.

That could get fun!! grin

I wouldn't shoot the dog, but he'll definitely need a lot of "unlearning" now that he's aware of what he can do....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Would be a waste of a good Lab to teach it to run 'yotes. First dog would lure the Lab out, two others will attack the Lab from behind.

Right on AJ!! Sounds like you know your dogs and 'yotes pretty well. 'yotes dream to sucker a dog into the dog yote, bitch and a couple from last years litter. Clod wouldn't last 2 minutes.

Wayne

R
RAT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you have proof the dog killed the deer there isn't any question. Dog should be takin a dirt nap.

Dogs have more hunting instinct than we do.

Can't blame a dog for being a wolf.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RAT
If you have proof the dog killed the deer there isn't any question. Dog should be takin a dirt nap.

Dogs have more hunting instinct than we do.

Can't blame a dog for being a wolf.

And we get rid of wolves for a reason.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Your right about yotes baiting him in and how long clod would last. Gotta hunch that he would be scratchin at the door before it went that far though. Clod acts pretty tough untill anybody acts a lil tougher then he is all for gettin the heck outta there.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING that people on here would say to shoot the dog for killing a deer. Like some have said, he's just doing what his instincts tell him & what A LOT of other dogs would do too. The more I read some of y'alls post the more I see what kind of IDIOTS are out there in the world.

That is some back country, redneck, uneducated [bleep] right there when you talk about shooting a dog because it killed a deer.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,484
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.