Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Heres another thought on this whole thing. Clod doesnt even have a scratch. And the only damage was to the rear of the deer and its back legs.

How could he have disabled it to the point that it couldnt move, with out ending up with a scratch or somethin? Maybe MColeman was right.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Hell, butcher the deer, get it in the freezer and consider it a bonus. Then, go love your dog, Clod.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the dog lived in Helena I'd give him a medal. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
AJ300MAG,
I think you're overreacting. I have no problem shooting a dog that has been put out in the woods to run wild, nor do I have a problem shooting a dog that is not under the control of a responsible owner.

But here's a guy that has taken steps to see that his dog does not get out. He and the dog get some respect. Here in GA there are some counties that allow dog hunting, and the dog would be welcomed.

On a seperate note, I think I read here of a guy who had a dashund that needed to be broken from barking. It just so happended that he also had a lab that had been broken for doing something (I can't remember what) using a shock collar.

The guy takes the shock collar and puts it on the dashund. The collar works. The thing is the lab got a kick out of seeing the dashund get zapped, so the lab chases the dashund around the yard and when he catches it....begins to bark so he can see the dashund get shocked. Who says dogs don't have a sense of humor?

GB

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
AJ300MAG,
On a seperate note, I think I read here of a guy who had a dashund that needed to be broken from barking. It just so happended that he had a lab the been broken for doing something (I can't remember what) using a shock collar.

The guy takes the shock collar and puts it on the dashund. The collar works. The thing is the lab got a kick out of seeing the dashund get zapped, so the lab chases the dashund around the yard and when he catches it....begins to bark so he can see the dashund get shocked. Who says dogs don't have a sense of humor?

GB

Thats funny. Our cranky ol blue heeler only has 1 eye. Clod has figured this out. He will come up an blindside her, steel her food while she is eating outta the same bowl, the list goes on an on.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Process the deer and freeze the meat. Now you have dog food for the next few months. Where we come from, we eat what we kill. Goes for dogs too.

I have two Norwegian Elkhounds, but no moose. Sad for the dogs.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
grin

Running deer with dogs is one thing, I have no problem with that style of hunting. It's a dog that will hamstring a deer that I take issues with.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thats funny. Our cranky ol blue heeler only has 1 eye. Clod has figured this out. He will come up an blindside her, steel her food while she is eating outta the same bowl, the list goes on an on. [/quote]

Animals are sometimes funnier than people. When I was a kid we had a small zoo located in the city limits. Nothing fancy, but a nice place in a then small town.

Anyway the zoo has a pen with several animals group together. For some reason they decided to put some spider monkeys in the same pen as some reqular farm goats.

There are two high pole on each extream end of the pen. Picture the goat standing in the middle at the feeding trough. When the goat is facing the opposite direction, the monkey runs under the goats hind legs....gives the ole goats....uh privets.. a pull...runs between his front legs and up the pole.

As soon as his privites are pulled on, the goat turns around and never sees the monkey run out from underneath him. Now the goat is facing the opposite direction, and the whole thing starts over again.

I can remember sitting for hours wathcing this take place, and the goat never catches on.

Finally the goat gets tired of all the hassel, forgets about the food and goes and lays down hungry.

I laugh evey time I think about that.

GB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If Clod killed the deer INSIDE his fenced area, I would not worry about it. If he escaped and chased it down, I'd work on the fence. With the lab in him, he's probably not a dangerous dog - hell it's not like he's a pit bull or something! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'd be one thing if your dog took down a calf or ran cows or other livestock into a fence, etc. As it is I don't see it as a big deal. He's part hound, they WILL chase deer.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
- hell it's not like he's a pit bull or something! smile

As if this thread didnt have enough different opinions grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wink Was a matter of time before someone threw out the pit reference. You gotta expect that w/ a thread title that contains the words "dog" and "killed" in the same line. smirk

It was said w/ a smiley, though. laugh Harmless really. laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

I couldn't tell from your original description - was the deer inside Clod's pen/yard?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry Yes it was in the yard. Looks like it was makin tracks for the fence when it was taken down though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's his yard, he was protecting his turf, though he probably had fun while doing it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kill deer a lot and nobody seems to want to put me down. I figure the deer ran into the fence and the dog caught it from behind. If it was mine I would take it trail the next deer I shot,on a leash. That is legal here and what I do with my Great Pyrenees. I have found a lot of deer for people that could not trail them up. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. IMO, the deer just made a fatal mistake. Alaska has game laws disallowing dogs to harrass wildlife, but if OR. has similar, it wouldn't apply. Again, IMO.

Good boy Clod. Good boy!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would punish your dog in the same manner that we punish cars that hit deer.

Doc

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
If you have proof the dog killed the deer there isn't any question. Dog should be takin a dirt nap.

WHY???? The deer was in his territory. Inside the fenced 3 acres. The deer wasn't a pet. It was wild. +1

Clyde

I would figure out how to break him from chasing deer, but he's in a fenced in area, which is certainly better than so many who let their dogs roam at will. work with him, but don't kill him for protecting HIS territory. I'd have NO problem whackin' a dog running deer, but this ain't the case here..

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont see how this would be different than anyones dog killing a squirrel in their yard.........wish my dog would take out the cats that get in the yard but they are the same size as her and have kicked her arse in the past crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,783
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.