Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What month of the year is the best time to book an Alaskan cruise? Why?

Thanks, RS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wife wants to take an Alaskan cruise this summer. I bet the bookings are already full.

I told her hell no, I got a couple thousand ears of sweet corn gonna be coming in.

Damn females and their love boat bull chit

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Late August

September I'd say

Peak is May-June-July

The AK guys will have better ideas

brandon's inflation rates may scare you though

Last edited by tikkanut; 07/02/22.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Wife wants to take an Alaskan cruise this summer. I bet the bookings are already full.

I told her hell no, I got a couple thousand ears of sweet corn gonna be coming in.

UR SOL for the summer of '22

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
July or August.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never. Rent an RV in Anchorage and have the best vacation of your life.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you're going to spend some time in Alaska and tour, take the cruise on the way home... might gain a few pounds on the cruise. We took ours 2nd week of August and came home 3rd week of September. Worked great.

Phil

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
June is going to be your least rainy month in SE. Granted it can blow any time in the summer but this June has been painfully sunny. Later in the season you go the odds increase for a lot of precip.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The wife and I went late August and it was great. We took the Alaska Railroad to Denali and back to Anchorage.

We flew up and took the cruse ship back to Vancouver. Then bus back to Sea-Tac airport. It was a great trip!

Last edited by CraigD; 07/03/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Done this. Will do it again.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ours was during the solstice, June 21. Great weather and fun to see the sun set in the north and rise again three hours later.

ALWAYS use a travel agent. They know the best deals, the best cabins, and will negotiate on your behalf with the cruise line if there are any hiccups. They have a LOT more clout with them than just little old you. And their services are totally free to you.

We love Norwegian, but they sail from Seattle, and that would be a big NO from me now unless I could book a flight and the Norwegian charter bus trip direct airport to port with no night layover. And then the same in reverse. Once again, your travel agent can arrange this.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We went in August. Left outta Vancouver. Cool/rainy/foggy.

-Ken

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sister and bil went last month with two other couples. They were delayed boarding 4 hrs. Found out later than 200 cases of Covid on the previous cruise and they were deep cleaning the ship. All four of the other couples were positive before the cruise was over and my bil came down with it the week after they came home. Sister was spared because she caught it two months prior on a Caribbean cruise with her girlfriend. All mild cases.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife and our good friends are booked for August out of Seatle. I've always wanted to go to Alaska........to go hunting. Seems a waste to go all the way to AK from Ga and not get to go hunting. The other sticker for me is the concern of possibly having to wear a GD! mask. I've had the Vid twice already. Every time I'm forced to wear a stupid mask I come done with another URI. I believe the wearing of masks cause more illness than the Vid, prove me wrong.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
What month of the year is the best time to book an Alaskan cruise? Why?

Thanks, RS
I took an Alaskan cruise in early August. When we left Vancouver it was 80 degrees and sunny. When we arrived in Juneau two days later it was 36 degrees and raining.

Moral of the story is that you can't count on good weather in Alaska, you can only improve your odds. Whenever you go be prepared for cold, wet weather. Bring a warm, waterproof coat or layers that add up to one and a warm hat.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
You can combine that with a cruise if you enjoy cruises.

Cruise up, train or RV around to sightsee, and fly home.

Or, do that in reverse order.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by slumlord

UR SOL for the summer of '22

SOL is good thing. Rather shuck corn.

Although I’m ok with cruises.

I prefer them as winter escapes to warmer climes.

Have no desire to leave warm summer , creek swimming, grilling out daily, and homemade ice cream for some drizzly, wet chilly shîthole that smells like dead fish. And drop $20k to do it 👌🏼

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RipSnort: The VarmintWife and I took our Seattle to Alaska week long cruise tour in July and saw lots of creatures on the shore and whales in the waters and beautiful vistas.
Plus for once it was not raining in Ketchikan (I have flown in and out of Ketchikan MANY times and it has always been rainy there!).
Very relaxing week for us and much fun on the boat and in the stops.
Enjoy your respite.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
slumload: YOU.... are out of touch with reality in your bizarre and erroneous description of an Alaska cruise!
Sheesh.
Been there, done that, and i know you are way of base and wrong-headed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cruises aren't for everybody.
We took a Norwegian cruise to Ak a couple months ago on Norwegian, and found we hated being cooped up on a ship. Would much rather spend the time and money touring around Alaska in a vehicle on our own time schedule.
Most of the people on the cruise thought it was great.
Staying overnight in Seattle, spending hours waiting to get on the ship, the tourists traps of Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau are not our idea of unbridled joy. I am not sure what the attraction of the stops are. People did seem to love to flock to the tourist stores owned by foreigners selling Aisian made goods, though.
If you do take a Cruise, read and re read RockyRaab's post. He knows of what he speaks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,345
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.