Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had some folks over to enjoy the long weekend. Smoked a couple of Boston Butts and ribs. Had two friends decline the pork so I improvised and threw a salmon on a cedar plank and they were happy.

The reason for the switch from pork to fish was most of the folks present had some type of high blood pressure, AFib, or arrhythmia condition. Most were taking some form of drug to help and were on a restrictive diet - too bad they didn't tell me this prior to cooking, but I did invite them over.

I go to the doctor about once in never, but I do check blood pressure, exercise everyday, and eat what I suppose is considered a heart healthy diet - nuts, avocados & oil, unsaturated fats, protein is mostly pork and chicken and some beef/bison, and avoid sugar like the Covid. Seems to be working but most of this is more related to the luck of your genetic makeup.

So who here is on a restrictive diet or using a pharmacological solution to deal with a heart related issue?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At 70 my father was walking a 1 mph, and so had to have heart bypass surgery. That kept him going to 90.

I had a bigger pot belly than my father from insulin resistance from eating carbs.

At 70 I scored a ZERO on CT Calcium scan.
I have zero heart disease.

I cured my pot belly and high blood pressure with a low carb diet.

Cardiac computed tomography (CT) for Calcium Scoring uses special x-ray equipment to produce pictures of the coronary arteries to determine if they are blocked or narrowed by the buildup of plaque

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I take a pill for high blood pressure. I don’t eat like I should. With my genetics, it’s only a matter of time no matter what I do anyway. I’m going out happy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an ex wife that claims I don't have a heart so I haven't seen a reason to go to the doctor in years.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I eat pork butts, ribeye steaks, hot dogs, dollar general girl scout cookies, lunchmeat, chocolate milk, chug mtn dew

fasting glucose is 100 or less. Sometimes in 60-70

Cholesterol is 150-160, high density upper 50s
Triglycerides never over 80-90

Blood pressure lately been so low, I just about collapse standing up 90/60s. Too low

Had to cut back on banana, potatoes and cantaloupe due to hyperkalemia/cardiac strain. Imagine that, healthy stuff will kill ya graveyard dead.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I check blood pressure 4-5 times a day,
Stick myself with diabeetus meter 2-3 times a week just cause im curious why im so dayum played out.

I aint diabetic. But my old man bought me a meter just to know when to eat. 🤣

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm on a bunch of crap to keep bp and heart rate down, born with a defective valve. Getting my aortic root right down to the valve replaced shortly. Hopefully I'll see 55.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sausage and eggs for breakfast then a sensible lunch of cheeseburger and fries. Finish the day off with a huge dinner with lots of red meat and starches, go to bed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

LOL

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I don't know....but I am starting to think that the OP is a sockpuppet.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had a heart problem since I was born... not discovered till I was 42 (11 years ago)... had two surgeries to correct. I am a little overweight, take a pill for sugar, and eat whatever I want. Everyone seems to think the goal is to live as long as possible... not me... I want to enjoy life as I like and go on to heaven when it is time...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 160user
I have an ex wife that claims I don't have a heart so I haven't seen a reason to go to the doctor in years.
laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BP is normal, sometimes a little low.
My dad died of a massive heart attack at 80.
50 or more pounds overweight, didn't exercise, used to smoke and type 2.
Think his lifestyle and corrective meds conspired to clog him up.
He had high BP at least 20 yrs.

He was all plugged up, head to toe (vascular dementia kicking in) and refused to go to heart doc the last few years.
Ate and did what he wanted til the ticker crashed.

Lucky, his legs were bad and theyd have whittled on him.
Figure he knew that was coming and figured no, hed try to let the heart take him out first.
If so, the old fart got lucky, as his plan worked.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/05/22.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
I'm on a bunch of crap to keep bp and heart rate down, born with a defective valve. Getting my aortic root right down to the valve replaced shortly. Hopefully I'll see 55.

God bless you.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I had a hard attack this morning.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I had a hard attack this morning.

Thanks for sharing, but not necessary.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Had a monitor glued to my chest this morning. Mail it in Friday.

Pre-op exam ekg showed possibly a-fib. Never felt it.

Complete cardio workup 2 years ago showed all clear.

Knee replacement next week still going forward.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a friend who died while hunting....weeks before his early retirement.

I have a friend who had a heart attack while we were on a hunting trip. I spent days in the hotel next to the Billings hospital. He got the stint AND the pacemaker.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I had some folks over to enjoy the long weekend. Smoked a couple of Boston Butts and ribs. Had two friends decline the pork so I improvised and threw a salmon on a cedar plank and they were happy.

The reason for the switch from pork to fish was most of the folks present had some type of high blood pressure, AFib, or arrhythmia condition. Most were taking some form of drug to help and were on a restrictive diet - too bad they didn't tell me this prior to cooking, but I did invite them over.

I go to the doctor about once in never, but I do check blood pressure, exercise everyday, and eat what I suppose is considered a heart healthy diet - nuts, avocados & oil, unsaturated fats, protein is mostly pork and chicken and some beef/bison, and avoid sugar like the Covid. Seems to be working but most of this is more related to the luck of your genetic makeup.

So who here is on a restrictive diet or using a pharmacological solution to deal with a heart related issue?

Thanks for the bullschit story.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a massive heart attack 5 and a half years ago. I would've still ate that Boston butt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
BP is normal, sometimes a little low.
My dad died of a massive heart attack at 80.
50 or more pounds overweight, didn't exercise, used to smoke and type 2.
Think his lifestyle and corrective meds conspired to clog him up.
He had high BP at least 20 yrs.

He was all plugged up, head to toe (vascular dementia kicking in) and refused to go to heart doc the last few years.
Ate and did what he wanted til the ticker crashed.

Lucky, his legs were bad and theyd have whittled on him.
Figure he knew that was coming and figured no, hed try to let the heart take him out first.
If so, the old fart got lucky, as his plan worked.
My Grandfather almost died of a heart attack at 75. They did a triple bypass. His mind gave way to dementia a few years later buy he lived to a ripe old age of 86 because they fixed his ticker. But he had no dignity left. Not that he realized it. Sometimes it's better to just let your heart take you out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.