Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I have a pistol/light with iron sights for home defense but the training I'm being offered isn't realistic. If someone breaks into our house it's likely to be dark and I'll be sleepy. Hopefully the cameras will pick him up and give me time to prepare but I have to assume I won't have much warning. How is shooting at stationary targets in good light while I'm alert going to train me to react in that scenario? Around here tactical training is done on an outside range in daylight, still not ideal but fun anyway. Getting everyone out of the house at night so I can drill isn't an option.

Now, let me add another wrinkle. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and now I need readers to see close up. What if I knock my readers off the nightstand and have to shoot with a blurry front sight? I don't see how a red dot would help. I'm thinking the only solution is LASIK but before I go that route does anyone have another solution? I have shooting glasses that focus on the front sight but unless I stage those they won't be readily available in an emergency. I feel like there's no way to train my way out of this one and eye surgery might be my only safe option. TIA, Bill

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can't hit things in the daylight, you're unlikely to hit them in the dark. That's why so much happens in the daylight first - training wise.

As to vision and the like - you SHOULD have a flashlight next to the bed anyway - I don't care for one on the pistol myself. Flashlight and a set of Crimson Trace grips might be your huckleberry.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by imabbb
My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and now I need readers to see close up. What if I knock my readers off the nightstand and have to shoot with a blurry front sight?

I don't have a place to train at night, but I get some regular practice at the range while not wearing my prescription eyeglasses. I've very nearsighted.

I carry a pair of plain plastic safety glasses and wear them for one or two magazines worth of ammo at various distances.

If you try it, I think you'll surprise yourself.

Yeah, it's not ideal, but you may not be given a choice.

I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks Teal. I never considered Crimson Trace. I agree about the flashlight. As for the day and night thing now I see how obvious that is.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks tjm10025. That's some really good advice. I'll give it a try.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a pistol/light with iron sights for home defense but the training I'm being offered isn't realistic. If someone breaks into our house it's likely to be dark and I'll be sleepy. Hopefully the cameras will pick him up and give me time to prepare but I have to assume I won't have much warning. How is shooting at stationary targets in good light while I'm alert going to train me to react in that scenario? Around here tactical training is done on an outside range in daylight, still not ideal but fun anyway. Getting everyone out of the house at night so I can drill isn't an option.

Now, let me add another wrinkle. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and now I need readers to see close up. What if I knock my readers off the nightstand and have to shoot with a blurry front sight? I don't see how a red dot would help. I'm thinking the only solution is LASIK but before I go that route does anyone have another solution? I have shooting glasses that focus on the front sight but unless I stage those they won't be readily available in an emergency. I feel like there's no way to train my way out of this one and eye surgery might be my only safe option. TIA, Bill
Oh ya, you need to really use the word "tactical" about 100 times and find a class 3 dealer who can line you up on a Browning air-cooled 30 cal and a couple 1000 rounds of belts. Then you can go full auto while yelling "TACTICAL!".

OR

maybe take a chill pill and stop dreaming about gunslinging in a dark house. Instead, focus on locks, lights, cameras and a common sense plan.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dla

Oh ya, you need to really use the word "tactical" about 100 times and find a class 3 dealer who can line you up on a Browning air-cooled 30 cal and a couple 1000 rounds of belts. Then you can go full auto while yelling "TACTICAL!".

OR

maybe take a chill pill and stop dreaming about gunslinging in a dark house. Instead, focus on locks, lights, cameras and a common sense plan.

does your wife atleast let you looka t your testicles she keeps in a jar?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wear no line bifocals. IF I take the time and angle my head just right, I can focus on the front sight. I practice with the front sight blurred and do OK. I can't shoot tiny groups, but I practice out to 30' or so and do well. Longer range I can look over my glasses and focus on the front sight.
If you don't have an alarm system, I suggest getting one installed.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An alarm system may give you an extra minute of wakefulness before determining threat response.

Practice getting out of bed and deploying your defense.

Determine location of all residents of the dwelling. Anyone likely to come home after dark.

With an unloaded firearm (triple checked), dry firing only at a pre-determined identity target that you can ACTUALLY see! Unless a perp is charging your bedroom...don't recommend shooting in the dark.

Practice determining the possible direction a potential shot you release may end up from each of your firing positions and entrances.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get a big old ugly Dog…. Mean sucker too… - get one that is pitch black so you can’t see much more than his teeth and maybe the glint from an eye…. In the dark.

Forget a laser on your gun.. you want that close to you - and Shoot for the lights is a real thing…

Hold your flashlight away from you a bit (to the side).

Racking a pump shotgun in the dark is enough to convey —- he means it…. Get a junker 870 and take the firing pin out of it and leave it where you can grab it and rack it before say something gritty…. Then walk around with the pistol all quiet like you are hunting grouse….

Most people are going to leave when they hear the shotgun pump… and NOBODY is coming through that door that doesn’t have a death wish.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You realize if the perp(s) continues advancing...all you'll have is a club, and may not have time to access another weapon, right?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
dla, wow you've got me all wrong. Why all the drama? Good advice though about the locks and all. I agree.

I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
gitem 12 she does sometimes if I ask real nice lol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not sure what help or advice to offer about your eyes providing you better sight, other than Lasik. If you’re worried about protecting everyone in your home, and Lasik offers you the best vision to do this…get it done

Will offer some other thoughts, take em or leave em. You mentioned cameras…are they part of an alarm system? If so, does it wake you? If not, get an alarm system for your home that will WAKE YOU when it goes off. Get a dog if feasible. Dogs are usually great alarm systems. Hopefully these things buy you a bit of time to shake the cobwebs. Yes, coming out of sleep to a life threatening situation sucks, but “sleepy” goes away pretty quick with the spike of adrenaline that usually comes. Always have a bright, dependable flashlight, within arms reach of your pillow. You might get lots of advice on sights, optics, dots, etc, on your defensive weapon. I have a laser/light combo on my primary defensive handgun that is set on both. When I hit the switch, the 200 lumen light and the green laser both come on. Again, you’ll get many opinions, but I find this combo hard to beat. Target is illuminated, with laser aiming point on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have a shotgun near the bed as well, if possible. A tactical one with a light…even better! I have one of those by the bed, with 1 five round mag of 00 buck in it, and one with slugs, and a 19 round mag nearby, also loaded.

Enough about weaponry! Train in daylight! Train, practice, train, practice, train. You’ll be better in every situation, no matter the available light, if you’ve developed good shooting habits. If you already have good shooting habits, then maybe invest in a course of self defense shooting at a place that offers night/low light training.

Unless you have an intruder who KNOWS the interior of your home…YOU have the advantage. Practice sneaking around in your home in dark/low light paying attention to where any ambient light comes in, or how any nite lights you might have, illuminate sections of rooms. Again, you have the advantage…know it, use it. Practice without your weapon, covering areas, knowing where others may be(no shoot quadrants), and where your best defensive hunker down spots, other than the bedroom may be. You may feel a bit silly doing this, especially with multiple people residing there, but with a bit of “practical tactical” home awareness, your chances of successful home defense grows. Have a plan, drill the plan into everyone who lives there that are old enough to understand it. Keep things simple, but smart.

No one has all the answers for this, and your mileage may vary. Just offering you ideas from my little corner of the universe. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Dave in WV I'll give it a try next time at the range, thanks. And I agree about the alarm.

I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
SheriffJoe thanks for the practical advice. I'm obviously new and I appreciate the help.

I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Spotshooter I already have a big 'ol pitbull but she's old now. But yeah, dogs are the best. The shotgun idea sounds like an interesting option to consider.

I
imabbb Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Doc_Holidude wow thanks for the advice. I've already done a little of what you suggest but never considered the finer points. I'll definitely give it a go.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Have a shotgun near the bed as well, if possible. A tactical one with a light…even better! I have one of those by the bed, with 1 five round mag of 00 buck in it, and one with slugs, and a 19 round mag nearby, also loaded.

Doc_Holidude

Why have a shotgun loaded with slugs for home defense? Do you want to kill somebody on the other side of three walls?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't help but believe this cat is trollin' everybody.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,571
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.