-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In July 1969 I had just graduated high school, was working swing shift industrial dishwasher at the airport, and was living in a rental house full of young guys who smoked pot.

July 20, man landed on the moon, but I still worked on a loading dock.

Sept 1969 I attended community college night school. My English teacher dressed like Castro and said he was a communist. He said, "You have never heard of women's liberation, but you are about to hear a great deal about it." He passed out commie news letters explaining feminism.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
God bless you guys, DD and others.

Now this, from an acquaintance of mine.

God bless Kurt too.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm
In July 1969 I had just graduated high school, was working swing shift industrial dishwasher at the airport, and was living in a rental house full of young guys who smoked pot.

July 20, man landed on the moon, but I still worked on a loading dock.

Sept 1969 I attended community college night school. My English teacher dressed like Castro and said he was a communist. He said, "You have never heard of women's liberation, but you are about to hear a great deal about it." He passed out commie news letters explaining feminism.

Jell0 and Calledumb and some others would have sucked his cork.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
July 4th 1969…..boot camp…

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great Vid, Jag. Finding and extracting small teams while under fire was my daily job. The truly brave guys were the Vietnamese helo crews, though. I only had to fly around as an inviting target while they went down and picked the guys up.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
4 July 1968 -- The Barrier, Korean DMZ
The rules said to load M-14 magazines with a tracer every 5th round. Many (most) grunts separated the tracers and saved them for July 4th and New Years. Also hoarded signal and parachute flares for those nights. And it was opportune times to get rid of, by setting off, the Claymores from which we had robbed chunks of C-4 for heating C-rations.

The only time I saw more fireworks was when someone kicked over the diesel-fueled stove in the tent, which burned up entirely, along with everything in it, setting off all the flares and ammunition. The ROKs in the adjoining sector got really excited; it's a wonder they didn't shell us....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 July 1969. I had a day off from bailing hay or walking beans. I was 15.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I called arty illumination one night in the Middle East, specifically for that reason, but wasn't under orders not to.

The difference between the 60s and the 00s is mind boggling. I couldn't imagine having alcohol willingly served in a combat zone today.

Color me jealous.

Mr. Tinman....respectfully....is it because we only fight Muslims these days??

Yes?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I called arty illumination one night in the Middle East, specifically for that reason, but wasn't under orders not to.

The difference between the 60s and the 00s is mind boggling. I couldn't imagine having alcohol willingly served in a combat zone today.

Color me jealous.

Yes?

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I was 20.

Is your hair colored yellow? If so, would you gimme three steps Mister?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was a bun in the oven.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I was living in a tent between the two runways at Chu Lai, SVN. It was about this time of night when I returned from the MAG 13 O’club, thoroughly drunk. It was very dark and quiet. We had been given orders not to discharge any of the pyrotechnics we had in hand.

I pondered that briefly and walked out to the flight line, and pulled a 37mm flare pistol out of my bird. It was a principal weapon of war at the moment as we could not get resupply of WP grenades or incendiary grenades to burn what needed burning in our area of operations. I loaded a red cluster flare round and thought, “What are they gonna do? Send me to Vietnam?” Pointed it skyward and pulled the trigger.

The shell went up a few hundred feet and went off. About 10 seconds later the entire west perimeter of the base unleashed a hail of flares and tracers that boggled my mind. It lasted about 10 minutes before settling down.

As I walked back to my tent one of our sergeants walked up and said, “Sir, I saw you shoot that flare.” I paused, and he continued, “I won’t tell anyone. “

We had a memorable 4th, and I thank the Jarheads for their support!
Great story thank you for your time served..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the stories guys. I grew up hearing stories about Vietnam, Korea and World War II, but especially Vietnam as I had a lot of relatives, neighbors and co-workers over there.
I’ve never grown tired of hearing them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your service, Gentlemen.

And Welcome Home!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I was 20.

Is your hair colored yellow? If so, would you gimme three steps Mister?

Yes, it is yellow. Or, at least it used to be. I'm not sure you are worthy of 3. I have to think this over. I always assumed I would end up in Vietnam before it was all over and I was wrong. On July 4th 1974 I was 20 and patrolling Ft. Sam Houston in a 1970 Rambler Ambassador. IN April 1975 I was guarding nuclear tipped missiles in Alaksa when Vietnam fell. It was a sad day for many of us on active duty.

OK, OK !! You get 3 steps. Don't ask for 4 !

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For certain - many, many thanks to all of you who were over there dealing with danger and death in 1969. A few of my students never made it back home - I respect what you gave.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
grin grin grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Color me jealous.

Mustn't offend our "hosts" ya know!
My opinion is "screw you, you want our help - or not?"
If'n you do - live with it!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
July 4th, 1971, Sitting on a hill at Cam Rahn Bay watching a fire fight below us with the red and green tracers flying back and forth. A sight I will never forget and will always be thankful I was not a part of.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Great Vid, Jag. Finding and extracting small teams while under fire was my daily job. The truly brave guys were the Vietnamese helo crews, though. I only had to fly around as an inviting target while they went down and picked the guys up.

God bless you and your guys, RR. Praise be to the Lord for bringing you back safe and sound to the USA.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.