7mm rem mag. Happy with 168s but would not rule out heavier/longer
Lite as possible. Sub 6.5?
Accurate
Reliable
2.5k +-
Like magazine over BDL. but not a deal breaker
Carbon fiber stock
barrel can ss or carbon

or should I just assemble and build one?

Last edited by k80titus; 07/05/22.

Beware of the man with one gun. He is a newbie
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Proof Elevation fits all your requirements, nicely built with first rate parts and if you shop around you can find one for a decent enough price.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka.
$1k scope
$800 for accessories.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Another vote for Tikka.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Really like my Tikka. In that Caliber, I have a really nice Remington 700 KS and a Tikka T3. Both a great to carry. I used the Tikka for a back up elk rifle two years ago. The KS is new to me as of this winter and have not hunted with it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It’s hard for me to pick other nice rifles I have
and leave my T3X 7 RM.

Light, sweet handling, D B M, accurate.
What’s not to like?

I have wood stocked rifles that sure are better
looking but…

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You going to use a suppressor or not? If suppressed then a carbon fiber wrapped barrel makes sense. May want to take a look at the new Christensen Ridgeline FFT.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
With your budget I would go with one of the new Christensen Ridgeline FFT rifles...Now if you were asking best rifle for the money a Tikka is always hard to beat, but your budget allows you to go a cut above that class....Good luck...Hb

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
No supressor. I never though about CA. I will take a look. Thanks
Tikka i would have to after market an AG stock, but under budget
Proof landed top of my list as well as Fierce. Fierce seems to have QC issues

Beware of the man with one gun. He is a newbie
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Browning X Bolt Pro that checks all your boxes, Except mine is in 300 WSM. Stainless, fluted, threaded barrel. Hand lapped. Carbon fiber stock. Great action and trigger. Detachable magazine. And lightweight. Mine is a half moa shooter @200 yards with several factory loads. Browning markets them as semi-custom. Seen them priced between 1700-2400 based on location and availability.

Maybe not what your after but should definitely be worth a look. They also make a long range version.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for Tikka. Had my threaded and put a 4 Port Baby Beast 9/16x24 to take it easy my shoulder (have rotator cuff issues) HUGE difference, but loud. I always wear my fitted ear plugs as well. The brake is just slightly larger that the barrel so he put a small taper on it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by SDupontJr; 07/06/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have bought five CA's in the past two years, generally happy with them all, I did replace the stocks with McMillans and for me, that made a substantial difference. Still, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with a Proof Elevation at the given price point. As an alternative, you can go the route I recently did and build one, DIY, from scratch. Defiance Tenacity, Proof Pre-fit carbon barrel, McMillan stock, TriggerTech trigger & Hawkins bottom metal, all for around $3k.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, you said "factory" but not new or used. I generally vote Tikka in threads like these. That is based off of experience, and the Tikka often shoots above its price point. Yes, they generally outshoot rifles that cost twice to three times as much. Thats for you christensen fan boys out there. However, I'm not going that route this time. The 7mm rem mag Tikka I had was a superlite and it kicked too fn hard. I always preferred the Winchester model 70 classic in the magnums, over Tikka. I have 2 right now that shoot lights out, but they are both more like 8.5 pounds all up, which is more fitting for me when we are talking any magnum rifle. I'd look for a used classic.its alright to be fascinated by the super lightweight rifles out there, but if you can't pack an 8.5 pound rifle in the woods, maybe its time for an easier sport?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a very accurate 7mm RM BDL with a ss barrel. You’d have to add the stock you want. This rifle is easy to get to shoot many loads under MOA.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would look around for a Montana in 280 AI. It's not a 7mm Mag, but it will kill schiet just as dead.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k80titus
Like magazine over BDL. but not a deal breaker

Both the CA Ridgeline FFT & Proof Elevation have BDL BM. But both would check your box in the carbon fiber stock category.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Ok, you said "factory" but not new or used. I generally vote Tikka in threads like these. That is based off of experience, and the Tikka often shoots above its price point. Yes, they generally outshoot rifles that cost twice to three times as much. Thats for you christensen fan boys out there. However, I'm not going that route this time. The 7mm rem mag Tikka I had was a superlite and it kicked too fn hard. I always preferred the Winchester model 70 classic in the magnums, over Tikka. I have 2 right now that shoot lights out, but they are both more like 8.5 pounds all up, which is more fitting for me when we are talking any magnum rifle. I'd look for a used classic.its alright to be fascinated by the super lightweight rifles out there, but if you can't pack an 8.5 pound rifle in the woods, maybe its time for an easier sport?
That's why I put a brake on mine. Not saying I'm soft, but yeah with a bumb shoulder, it helps alot.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just curious as to where you hunt and typical game you intend to hunt in the future? Nothing wrong with the 7mm Rem Mag, wondering why it appeals to you and questioning perhaps 6.5lbs all up rifle. The 7mm Rem Mag is a dandy and doesn’t recoil too badly with 140 gr BT loads, which are my go to pronghorn loads. When getting into 154 gr and up loads more rifle weight for 7mm Rem Mag would be more preferable as it’s not exactly a pussycat on the shoulder. Mine is an older Howa back when Interarms was importing Howa. I think the Howa M1500 (Weatherby Vanguard) is one of the best made turn bolt rifles for the money. Of course many tend to criticize the weight, but I find it well balanced and extremely accurate. No matter what you buy make sure it has a nice bedding job and and free floated barrel. If it doesn’t, do a nice bedding job on it and float the barrel. That’s the real secret to accuracy and what makes a $600 rifle shoot as well or better than a $2,500.

Last edited by Rossimp; 07/07/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sako or Tikka

easy enough

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Proof Elevation fits all your requirements, nicely built with first rate parts and if you shop around you can find one for a decent enough price.
Will second the proof elevation. It is a great rifle and pretty much cheaper than buying all the components and assembling yourself. You can find them for close to your $2.5k if you shop around.

Have one in 308 that I really love.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (308ld, 35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 7 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.