Print Thread
Hop To
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Are there any hardware store options for these pins on an AR15?
I've always had problems trying to get mine back in and this time it finally broke.
I'm hoping something from Ace Hardware might work so I can get this thing back together.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take it to the hardware.
Compare.

They will have trays of them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks, I will do that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
The shipping is the deal killer, plus the wait time.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Cotter pin at the hardware store is most likely going to a much softer metal than the AR pin - not hardened steel.

If you put commercial cotter pin in - make sure the rounded head is clearing your upper receiver wall, or it will gouge the crap out of it.

It will do in a pinch, but it won't last as long as a mil-spec pin - the mil-spec pin is supposed to be replaced after 5K rounds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by K22
The shipping is the deal killer, plus the wait time.

I was in the same predicament 2 weeks ago... pins arrived fast, and they work as intended. Your local hardware store sells whatever they got from their latest Chicom container.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I wondered about the hardness of the hardware variety.
Guess I better order a truck load of them.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Joe Bob Outfitter's - they ship fast if it's in stock, and they have some single pins, and some "oops" kits on sale now.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Buy a few.

Along with every other wear item. A complete BCG (bolt carrier group) as a spare is a smart thing. When I have a part go down, I go to the drawer and grab another. In light of the times we live in, I don't want to be caught short handed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same applies to Glock handguns.

Go to the parts bin and grab parts and replace. I am not going to rely on being able to get something in the future, as that may not be a possibility.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

V
V
Those two pin Glocks are the bees knees. I take it neither of them are 10mm, if you've still got all your fingers and eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mac,

Where can I buy a complete Glock parts kit?

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Go to the parts bin and grab parts and replace. I am not going to rely on being able to get something in the future, as that may not be a possibility.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They make a flat headed single pin that I much prefer over the cotter style.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Buy a few.

Along with every other wear item. A complete BCG (bolt carrier group) as a spare is a smart thing. When I have a part go down, I go to the drawer and grab another. In light of the times we live in, I don't want to be caught short handed.

That is smart. I was thinking about getting a complete BCG and even posted about it in another thread, but then changed my mind forgetting completely about the retainer pin. Now having been caught short I'm going to go back to the original plan.
I've got spare parts for about every firearm I own except 2. The one parts are pretty none existent and I don't shoot it much any more, but the other, the AR15 I'm going to remedy.
I admit the AR has not been my favorite firearm and I've shot mine very little. I much prefer bolt rifles, but as Mackay says, in the light of the times we live in, the AR has walked back to the forefront.

Thanks for all the help, this has become a real learning curve.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
If I buy a BCG should I get a set of headspace gauges also? I know the tolerances are suppose to be close enough, butttttt?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you are buying from a reputable source, and putting it in a quality rifle - you’re “probably” ok.

However - as noted above - good preparation now is having the tools and parts on hand, before the next - need, the ban, or the natural event.

99.99999% of the shooters buying spare BCGs don’t headspace them on install.

99.99998% get away with it.

For the cost investment for set of gauges - it’s cheap insurance against a ka-boom.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/06/22.
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
https://www.jsesurplus.com/ar-15556stainlessfiringpinretainingpin.aspx

Been using this for a little while , seems to be holding up well....Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by K22
If I buy a BCG should I get a set of headspace gauges also? I know the tolerances are suppose to be close enough, butttttt?

I have not seen it to be an issue if you are buying decent quality in the first place. I have built a significant amount of AR platform rifles over the years. That said, There are certain guys that are more interested in being cheap than getting a good quality item. When they show you a rifle/pistol, whatever, they say "I only paid XXX for it", as if that is the main point of buying the item. Those are the guys who buy the cheapest crap out there and then start threads entitled "why won't my XXX work".

Don't be that guy.

Buy quality once and save yourself the headache in the first place.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
In general, I am not a cheap purchaser. Buy once, cry once, has always been what I live by. In the case of AR parts, there is a zillion out there with prices all over the board. I've had 70yrs. of experience so I can normally sort out the crap vs quality, but, in say a BCG, you can pay $200+ or $59. And as a side note, the $59 one was an Anderson. With such a large price difference in BCG's, it can become mind boggling. I am looking at this one...https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-freedom-nitride-carpenter-158-bolt-carrier-group-516446915b.html
And, to be on the safe side, I will check the headspace just to be sure.
My AR is a DPMS.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a field gauge that I use every once in awhile. It's not something I worry about cause I don't buy the cheapest stuff out there. That said even Colt has sent out some bad parts but I've never had a bolt not pass the field gauge.

I bought a Colt BCG for my last "build" and also bought a Toolcraft BCG with some fancy finish on it from PSA. I used the Colt and have the Toolcraft just sitting in my parts box. It's not bad but I feel better with Colt or Sionics BCG's. I also have a Daniel Defense bolt for a spare, they are GTG.

I'd be interested in a Glock spare parts list too Mac, if you have the time. I keep a recoil spring assembly for my 19.5 but that's about it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.