Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
...Many cemeteries require one or the other because they don't rot and collapse, leaving them with a hole to fill up. Wood caskets rot apart and collapse leaving a hole that needs filling later...

If you mound the dirt that came out of the hole on top...?

It will eventually be flat again.

Think the law here is 3-4 days before embalming is required.

And you are correct, avoid commercial operations... as they are, indeed, a rip-off.

GR

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
My instructions are for any useful organs to be harvested for use or research. When the remains are no longer wanted for any research, they are to be cremated. I do want my ashes to be buried. I have a plot reserved in a rural cemetery where I have family buried since the mid 1800s. I have recently ordered my gravestone to my specifications. Nothing elaborate. It is to be ready for installation by November. I told my wife and daughters to place the ashes in either one of my Dutch ovens or buy a new one, their choice, but that is what I want to be buried in. No need to hire a grave to be dug, just someone with a shovel, it is good sandy loam soil. It is close by my father's and grandparents' gravesites, a very peaceful place five miles from the nearest small town in west central Alabama. As a small boy, I remember various relatives being buried there, behind a country church that dates back to 1835. My father used to take me there and we would walk the cemetery and he would tell me how we were related to many buried there and a few stories about them. Those many years ago I decided that was where I wanted to eventually be as well. It is very likely that I will be the last one of any of my relations to be buried there. I see no practical point to being embalmed. For what? Maybe for someone to dig up 5,000 years from now to study? I don't want to waste my heirs' meager inheritance on that, but I do want a stone. The plot was free as I have family buried there. I liked very much seeing the stones of those that passed long before me and learning a few things about them. In my situation, it is unlikely that anyone will ever visit my grave more than once or so. Most all of my relatives and past friends in that area have either died out or have moved away. My children were not born or raised in that area and would probably have no particular reason to travel through there. My wife was not from there, being a native of Texas. She does have a spot reserved next to mine if she wants it, but may want to be buried in either of the Texas cemeteries where her mother or father is buried. Or, as I tell her, maybe next to her next husband as she is 10 years younger than I. She denies that possibility, but I remind her that she well may outlive me by 15 or 20 years and a lot can happen in that time. She has my blessings after I am gone. Just because my life will have ended, hers should not.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know the current situation, but for a long time in many states, you were required by law to buy a commercial casket from a mortician. No homemade or store bought caskets were allowed. The morticians said that was to protect families from 'low quality' caskets. Instead, they paid $2000 or more for their 'high' quality. What changed some minds was when, during a funeral, the pall bearers carrying one of those 'quality' caskets were going down a church steps and the bottom fell out, dumping the body on the steps. I saw the video of that escapade.
For a homemade casket, it doesn't take much of a woodworker to build one with a sturdy enough bottom to hold a body.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Roll me up and smoke me, none of the funeral home bullschit for me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I want to be cremated quickly after death with no services.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Coyote bait , they gotta' eat to.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Told the wife to go the cheapest rt possible, not to let Funeral Home talk her into spending a bunch of $$'s.
Cremation via the state hospital is fine with me.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Put me in the ground, don't burn me. If the good Lord doesn't have a wealth of understanding, patience, and forgiveness, I may burn for a lllooooonnnnggggg time anyway. No need in rushing it! Ive got a small family cemetery smack dab in the middle of 800 acres or so that I or my immediate family owns, my best dog is already buried just outside the fence, put me there, Im among good company.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cremated............donating my body to medical science. Hopefully they still want it when I'm done using it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting question. About six months ago I received a letter from Arlington National Cemetery, asking me what my "plans" were. Jeez, I didn't think I was THAT old bu apparently, I "rate" being buried there with the "full enchilada" of honors, so they'll save me a spot, but they also want to know if I'm going elsewhere. I'm thinking Pensacola where a lot of my Aviator buddies are. And yes, probably cremated.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
Cremated. The older I get, the worse my claustrophobia becomes. The thought of slowly rotting underground in an oversized shoebox suffocates me.

Same here. Ashes spread at Camp

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Too claustrophobic for …in a box…underground… Just the thought of it gives me the willies!
Yup!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife and I will both be cremated. We’ve talked about some spots to be spread but need to define them. Our boys will get to see some of the globe fulfilling our wishes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I would want to be cremated. Not sure where to spread the ashes.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I don't care..... I'll be ded

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I suppose it is hard to just walk way back into the woods and sit down for good

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
for those guys who don't want a funeral....do your family a favor and have one. It's not for you. It helps your family get closure and is part of the grieving process. It's good for them. You won't be there for it anyway. Your corpse might but you'll be long gone.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
for those guys who don't want a funeral....do your family a favor and have one. It's not for you. It helps your family get closure and is part of the grieving process. It's good for them. You won't be there for it anyway. Your corpse might but you'll be long gone.

Maybe they will listen to you.

Double sheesh.

Tell them to do what they want. Explain that you are OK with the bare minimum of expense....but it's their show.

You should stop being a pain in the ass once you die.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm donatin my body ta science fiction.

Miss ya, Rodney.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant

That’s what we both are planning, have a service, then burn!!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.