Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
People pay you to go have fun. Sure you have to drive the boat, pay for the fuel, pretend to like douchy people but it can't be all that bad.

When people start paying me to go feed the f'ning cows for the millionth day in a row I'll stop whining.....lol

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Was….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not it’s more like…

I still weld some,

Mostly to shut up the punk ass young welders that think they know everything…..

I love it when they get mad because of rework and say “think you can do it better?”

“Lemme grab my hood…….”

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Gotta respect you brother. That hood is probably as old as I am.. My grandpa had one like it. My dad was also a welder/mechanic and Navy Seabee. I just built ocean going oil barges, grain barges, dry docks, and tug boats..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also repair work, structural and even ornamental schidt:

Here's a wheelhouse I designed and built for an old tug:

You are right. Young kids don't know jack schidt, but it was our job to teach them. The bad thing is kids are different now days. They don't have the drive. They give up too easy when schidt gets too hard. We always had quota's we had to meet, but management let a lot of the younger guys slide. Up until a point, then when things were not getting done fast enough, they would sick me on them. An example, our quota for fitting angle (lets say 6x4 or 7x4x1/2" angle or bulb flat) on flat plate was 190 feet/day. The young guys were slacking off so much that they were only doing 65 feet/day. That schidt had to come to a stop and fast. So to show the younger guys how much you could actually get done, some of the older guys (all of us in our mid 30's) that could fit pretty decent had a race to see how much angle a guy could get done in a day. My buddy (an ex Airborne Ranger and 6th degree black belt) fit 450 feet. The next guy a huge colored guy that was an ex felon got 350 feet fit up, the next guy was a bomb expert, ex special forces marine (typical bad azz), fit up 300 feet, next guy down on the list was a slow meticulous guy, a little older than the rest of us, in his early 40's, fit up 250 feet. A lot of those guys slowed way down after lunch, where as I don't work that way. I pace myself and build up steam. You don't want to get in my way when I'm swinging a hammer: I fit 608 feet of angle that day. All perfectly on the layout line and nice and tight, ready for the doudle bug to come behind and start welding.. After that day, if the newbies didn't meet quota, the were issued warnings and a couple were even fired..[[[ I don't mind teaching a young guy new tricks, but if they are unwilling to learn I have no use for them.]]]]..

Does not matter the work or trade, ill try to teach, if they don't want to learn i have no use for them.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lots of hand work on Vancouver Island

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Safety first, I'm wearing the helmet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i,ve done 40years of that kind of playing in the dirt with my Tonka toys,

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
People pay you to go have fun. Sure you have to drive the boat, pay for the fuel, pretend to like douchy people but it can't be all that bad.

When people start paying me to go feed the f'ning cows for the millionth day in a row I'll stop whining.....lol

Every "cool" job is hard. That's why more people don't have them. Nothing cooler than being a real cowboy...unless you're a real cowboy.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You guys would love feeding cows for the 250th day in a row.

Every. Single. Day. Since last October. frown

Did get 2.5" that greened stuff up a week ago. But next 2 weeks none in the forecast, and 100 degree days will brown it all again.

Did get to cut the scrub brush out of a ranch to allow better grazing for what green grass we have now.

Don't even remove the hay spear. Know I'll be needing it soon.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Every "cool" job is hard. That's why more people don't have them. Nothing cooler than being a real cowboy...unless you're a real cowboy.

This is the same guy that thinks living in a place with no winter is "tough."

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys would love feeding cows for the 250th day in a row.

Fishing season?!

90 days?

Oh my....

LOL

remember my FIL going out to bust ice on a pond on Xmas morning so the cattle could get some water

Nope, not raising cattle I says to myself that morning.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Job I retired from required that I go out and check the passengers on those barges. Yes, there's one in front of that boxy looking thing. Picture from 40' up in the wheelhouse of the tug, which I had no responsibility for. If it got worse, and it did, the captains would say no one is going out on the barge.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a family friend who was a bar pilot on the Columbia River bar and a river pilot up the Columbia. He asked me one time if I wanted to go on a pilot job with him and I foolishly said yes, thinking this was going to be a nice quiet little adventure... well, the bar was raging that night when we went out on the pilot boat to the ship. Then they put down this little 2' wide stairwell with a boom that hung beside the ship that we had to get the pilot boat up next to, step over, and climb up the stair boom that was swinging in the wind and the ship was swaying back and forth, so the stair wasn't always close to the ship as we traversed up the 30-40 feet or so up to the deck. Did I mention this was also in the dark? Once we stepped off the pilot boat, he scooted out of there as fast as he could because of the conditions and we were on our own going up that stair/ladder/amusement park ride...
Once we were on deck and in the control room, the Korean crew gave the ship over to the pilot and it was smooth sailing all the way up to Portland- about 60 river miles. Not a job I ever had a wish to do after that night even though at the time they were making very good money and benefits...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just another day at the office Sheister.

The tug captains had a saying:

"Boredom is way underrated"

When operating those things, excitement was not fun.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Burned a million welding rods.

And I inspected a million of those welds by radiography and or MT/PT. Shot a 42" flair line weld yesterday.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of you folks have cool jobs!

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
PWN Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Some of the tools of my trade. Not shown: Telephone, computer and printer.[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PWN
Some of the tools of my trade. Not shown: Telephone, computer and printer.[Linked Image]

I took a few law classes when I was going to college off and on and they were reasonably interesting to me but they just put me to sleep in no time... pretty sure they could be marketed as a cure for insomnia...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I guess that Trump's most others, huh? smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Would go through a 50# box of 3/16" 8010 every day on a firing line

Pretty nice looking job, pard!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Nosler? 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.