Print Thread
Hop To
#17399830 07/06/22
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Good Afternoon. Anyone who has experience with a Kimber tle/rl 4, I’d like to hear their opinion on it. I’ve never seen one in person, but I have an opportunity to purchase one. I’m wondering why they aren’t made anymore. I’d appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.

GB1

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I can't help you with personal experience, but Kimber pistols in general are good to go. If the price is reasonable I would buy it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kimber-pro-tle-rl-ii-45-acp-3200116.html

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You hear mixed things about Kimbers, if I were you, I'd inspect it in person before paying money for it.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boomer454
You hear mixed things about Kimbers, if I were you, I'd inspect it in person before paying money for it.

If he's asking for opinions on Kimber, what would he know to inspect?

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fatherof4
Good Afternoon. Anyone who has experience with a Kimber tle/rl 4, I’d like to hear their opinion on it. I’ve never seen one in person, but I have an opportunity to purchase one. I’m wondering why they aren’t made anymore. I’d appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.

Owned Kimber in the past, new in 1999. Generally good to go and at the time, a lot of pistol for the price.

I don't have experience specifically with this model tho. I would say, for me, I don't really have any inclination to go sub Commander length in a 1911. What's your intended use of the pistol? Carry, range fun, boondocking etc. ?

Me

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thank you for the replies. It would be for CCW

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If ya' want it, buy it. While not that particular gun model, I've owned a number of Kimbers with nary a problem.

I wouldn't be skeered of 'er. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Don’t understand the terminology but if you are speaking 4” barrel, then it is still around. Guessing it’s a II as they didn’t have that model earlier that I recall. Have had a Pro Carry pre II since 97. One of the keepers.

Swifty
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thank you all for the opinions and information.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have had three Kimbers (two 1911s and one bolt action rifle) and didn't have luck with any of them. The two 1911s (pre-external extractor) were super sensitive to spring weight, and became unreliable after just a few hundred rounds fired (basically, after their springs wore in). The bolt action rifle (compact .308) was beautiful, but couldn't get through a single mag full without flubbing the feed at least once, jettisoning the round into the air instead of feeding it into the chamber. The gun store owner agreed with me after trying to get through one mag full in the store, and gave me a new one, sending back the one I had bought from him. Same problem. Again, he agreed after trying to feed a mag full through the action, and gave me a full refund. After those experiences, I swore Kimber off completely. I've also heard of problems specifically concerning the TLE models. Those with experience with them tend to find fault with them.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't really have any inclination to go sub Commander length in a 1911.
A good rule of thumb for 1911s. It's one that I go by as well, based on experience.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye talking out his ass again
I have had three Kimbers (two 1911s and one bolt action rifle) and didn't have luck with any of them. The two 1911s (pre-external extractor) were super sensitive to spring weight, and became unreliable after just a few hundred rounds fired (basically, after their springs wore in). The bolt action rifle (compact .308) was beautiful, but couldn't get through a single mag full without flubbing the feed at least once, jettisoning the round into the air instead of feeding it into the chamber. The gun store owner agreed with me after trying to get through one mag full in the store, and gave me a new one, sending back the one I had bought from him. Same problem. Again, he agreed after trying to feed a mag full through the action, and gave me a full refund. After those experiences, I swore Kimber off completely. I've also heard of problems specifically concerning the TLE models. Those with experience with them tend to find fault with them.
Once again, utter BS. Seriously, you're like a gossipy old woman.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The TLE was a frame change that provided a rail and grip checkering. IMO it was an improvement to the already pretty good "Pro Carry" series. I like the 4" bull barrel for carry and shootability, but I wish they had made the TLE available with an aluminum frame. I have a Stainless Pro carry and feel it is about the best carry size & weight for a 1911.

I think the 1911 craze is about over as most man-boys and girly-men want a 15rnd micro-compact in 9mm. So Kimber, by far the largest producer of 1911s, is seeing a business drop off (then trimming product lines). Interestingly, they've launched a line of restyled 1911s, priced above $1500, that is selling quite well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.