Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Some eBay auctions were recently used as examples when a member asked about the current value of a No 15 sight for a Savage1899. The ones referenced I could find were all 'buy it now' and eBay has some new practices that one should be aware of before using those as a reference for a value - they probably are not the real sold prices.

The new practice with many 'buy it now' auctions is they are listed at what I consider ridiculous a 'buy it now' price without the option to make an offer, as soon as they are put on a watch list there is a lower offer emailed to the watcher, this often happens just after the auction is listed and almost immediately after putting it on the watch list. If it sells for the lower offer eBay will still list the original asking price as the sold for price which will falsely inflate the perceived value of items. I see this practice as certainly an unethical and possibly illegal way to manipulate prices. I see a few auctions now that quote 'sold for prices' in their listings to justify their pricing. This will also affect regular action listings as people start to believe those 'sold for prices' and base their bidding limits on them.

I've asked some sellers 'If your willing to sell it for less immediately why didn't you list it for that to start?'

I've bought a couple recently this new way. One was listed at $145 and eBay shows it sold for that... but I offered them $85.78 (so my final bill came out $100) and that's what it really sold for. Another was listed at $185 and eBay shows it sold for that, I offered $110 and it really sold for that. On both of these my counteroffers were accepted almost immediately making me think I could have gotten them for even less.

The four examples of Savage No 15 sights were - 2@ $249.99, 1@ $299.99 and 1@ $349.99. As mentioned, the listings I could find were all 'buy it now', so they could have actually sold for a lot less. Another more recent 'buy it now' is shown as sold for $165.

Here's a recent example of one in a regular action starting at $100 free shipping, and it sold for that - ebay/itm/165473671291 With only one bid one might think it was on the high side.

The first attachment is an example of one I thought was really ridiculous, I always thought these should be in the $25 to $40 range. I got the lower offer as soon as I put it on my watch list and I immediately declined . Note that it is one that has an option to submit an even lower offer, many do not offer that.

Attached Images
eBay offers2.png (55.27 KB, 437 downloads)
eBay sold pricesx.jpg (38.85 KB, 435 downloads)
eBay offers1.jpg (38.52 KB, 436 downloads)

Gene
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Once upon a time the 'buy now' price would be struck through if a lower offer was accepted. They didn't reveal the actual price, just that it was less.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been noticing this, though hadn't noticed they don't adjust the price afterwards. Going to definitely mess with seeing how things have been selling.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I look at ebay as if it was just another store. I don't look at it as a way of setting a price for anything as I have always considered it, as well as most auctions, to reflect inflated values. For instance, I would not try selling something on the classifieds of this forum based on what I saw it going for on eBay. Web based auctions appeal to the largest audience possible and attempt to get the highest value possible for an item. There will be a million guys looking for something out there but all it takes is one buyer with the deepest pockets to bing it on home. And web based autions up a sellers odds for that. So I look at ebay as a store where I can find something that would take years to find otherwise and if the price is something I can bear I buy it. And if it's stupid high I leave it alone.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Ebay over the years, but I don't think I've been on that sight for at least a year.

The price of stuff to buy it and the commissions you pay to sell and the tax documents they send you now at the end of the year and your bank information you need to give them...

Blah, Blah, Blah.

I'm done with Ebay.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 99guy
I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Ebay over the years, but I don't think I've been on that sight for at least a year.

The price of stuff to buy it and the commissions you pay to sell and the tax documents they send you now at the end of the year and your bank information you need to give them...

Blah, Blah, Blah.

I'm done with Ebay.

Been longer than a year for me. My account dates to 2000. Was a good resource for buying and selling for years. Now it’s just a clogged up mess. I still enjoy the occational flea market and classified ads
On various sites.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wish more 99 fans would stop buying off eBay.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If you are a person who likes guns, Ebay is not your friend.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by S99VG
I look at ebay as if it was just another store. I don't look at it as a way of setting a price for anything as I have always considered it, as well as most auctions, to reflect inflated values. For instance, I would not try selling something on the classifieds of this forum based on what I saw it going for on eBay. Web based auctions appeal to the largest audience possible and attempt to get the highest value possible for an item. There will be a million guys looking for something out there but all it takes is one buyer with the deepest pockets to bing it on home. And web based autions up a sellers odds for that. So I look at ebay as a store where I can find something that would take years to find otherwise and if the price is something I can bear I buy it. And if it's stupid high I leave it alone.

Exactly this^^ Who cares about the other schidt. Dont like the listing or price, move it along.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a business owner that sells consumer products on almost all ecommerce sites including those for large national retailers, Ebay is a bit different than the others. When something is listed that has multiple units in inventory of that one item, as a seller, Ebay will send me "notices". Basically it will send the seller a notice that "x" number of people are interested (watching) an item and are you (the seller) willing to "make an offer to the potential buyer" at a lower price? There could be 100 people or more watching this item, for example it could be a bunch of brand-name toasters or a similar appliance. As a seller if I have a bunch and have to take a hit of x-% to move most of my inventory, I often do it. So its not what you are really seeing from the consumers end. Its just the Seller taking a hit to move a large number of units, fast. Its often worth it and both sides win. If that leaves me with 8 units left, and I have to sell them one at a time, that deeper discount will not apply.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flyer898
If you are a person who likes guns, Ebay is not your friend.

I obtain all sorts of hard to gun related parts on ebay that would be very difficult to find otherwise. Seems pretty friendly to me.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
While I don't like their politics, I'm not cutting off the best place to buy and sell almost anything.

Where you gonna find a huge selection of German scopes from Germany ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as with all other huge businesses. its all about the profit .. its works but I don't like it . its gotten to complicated for the casual seller

plab

Gotta love them 303's

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 67 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,070
Posts18,501,493
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.