Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was lying about this Noontide and called to tell Moose that I had just eaten some of the roasted chicken he had prepared yesterday for my return. He said he was going to drop over with the Mooselette, #1 Granddaughter.

Mooselette and I have not seen each other for close to a month due to the Chemo and the Covid and all. She was most happy to see me in relatively good shape. I asked her what the deal was with her and the upcoming deer season. She's 10, and she's been out with her dad and me. She's been at deer camp for a few years, but has yet to pull the trigger. Most of that is that she's been too small up until now to shoulder a rifle, and she was somewhat neutral on actually doing the deed. This was the first time I'd gotten a definitively positive answer.

Da Shi' got serious in a fat hurry. This precipitated a hasty trip to Grandpa's Office and a search through the library for the dusty Hunter Ed material. She has agreed to start reading immediately. We'll talk later in the week.

My sons both had earned their pink Hunter Ed cards before age 10 and been hunting by now. KY no longer lets kids take the Ed or the test before age 12, but I think Mooselette needs that foundation. I'll give her the necessary training over the summer, and make sure she could pass the tests.

What this means is that instead of me being ready for action by 12 November, the date has now been moved up to 8 October, the Yute Opener. It also means I've got to get one more rifle ready for action before then.

Life comes at you fast. Here is Mooseboy on his first deer hunt in 2002:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah! The circle of life! Congrats!

Politics is War by Other Means
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you need 30/30 bullets I can share. Even cast for practice or hunting

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Go gettem Shaman that Lil girl needs the gramps...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Outstanding, and positively shamanic!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Good deal! 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by frank500
If you need 30/30 bullets I can share. Even cast for practice or hunting

Yes, I have not been down to the Shamanic Secret Underground Reloading Facility for months now. I'll need to get down there and do an inventory. You may have caught the thread about my favorite Win PP FN 150 is now discontinued.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: Just so y'all know, this is the Mooselette on her first actual trip out to the blind with Grandpa a few years ago:

. . . and here she is this spring out at the turkey blind

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grandkids are the greatest reward in life.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yesterday was a big day. Team Moose came over. Daddy Moose grilled out a buttload of food including steak, chicken and shrimp, so that I'd have plenty of leftovers. Mooselette came along and we immediately went to work on getting her ready for season. Mind you, this was my first trip down to the Shamanic Secret Underground Reloading Facility (SSURF) in 2 months or so.

First on the list was deer rifle selection. We went through a number of rifles, including the Marlin 336, the Savage 340 (both in 30-30), and the Marlin 1894 in 357 Magnum. The only one that fit her was the Marlin 336. 20 years ago, it was her Daddy that shouldered that rifle. It all goes by so fast.

[Linked Image]

I have a surplus Bushnell 1.5-4.5X30 scope that I plan on throwing in. I'm also going to replace the Weaver Pivot Mount and add a cheek pad so she has a good weld.

We then adjourned to the office and started in on Hunter Ed. I gave her a brief history of deer hunting and why we have Hunter Ed. I also gave her a brief rundown on Fair Chase.

As a bonus, I brought out my copy of Dawn of Deer Hunting . . . . It has gobs of old photos including a mess of stereopticons. I have a lorgnette for viewing them, so she had a gas going through and seeing how deer hunting used to be done in 3D.

All of a sudden my batteries died, and it was time for a nap.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the real-life, real-time account - and the history. A lovely progression, a very cute new lady hunter, and brings back so many memories.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,199
Posts18,503,622
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.