-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't sit on a stand. I don't hunt over a feeder. The toughest part is choosing which rifle and which load.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gun ready just need to shoot off hand for the rest of the summer with my varmint rifle. The boys checked the cabin yesterday and hopefully it's still standing up near Cooperstown, NY.

Attached Images
06.png (5.74 KB, 227 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
Practice offhand. Most of my shots are close and fast.

Okie John
Same here

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Get a tag. CO is all draw,not many left overs

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Buy corn. Shoot velvet buck on August 15th.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Have a box stand on ten foot legs that blew over that has to be replaced.
Mow some roads
Cut some lanes through brush.
Rifles are ready.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a share of a hunting camp in NH in an area that I've never hunted before, so I need to do both a map and visual recon before deer season.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
wait

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: I am ready, willing and able.
I am also "sighted in"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Draw a tag.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Find a new place to hunt. I missed out on a club opening in Laurens county due to "other priorities" and also had another place where the lease was not renewed. Relying on invites from friends. Haven't ventured into public land here in SC but might consider that option also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mow my woods roads.
Shoot my bow to work the creaks and cracks outta my joints.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This year I’ve planted over a thousand cedars, 400 shrubs, removed over a thousand trees to clear two additional food plots, frost seeded 3 acres of ladino and planted one plot in forage beans and another in alfalfa. Before years end I hope to clear enough trees to frost seed 3-5 acres of switchgrass next year. I’d like a couple more stands and another camera or two. My to do list is long…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is actually a pertinent question.

The cancer and chemo have reduced the potential options. Under the best circumstances, this would have been a busy year. I'm now officially retired. There have been all sorts of things waiting on that blessed event. However, I doubt I'll get to most of them this year.

My main goal in life is to be in my stand on the 11/12 Opener. That is still doable. However, I've got a shrinking window. My last round of chemo has been postponed. Originally, I'd planned on being done by Aug 1. That is going to slip.

First off, I've got to consider armament. I had all sorts of projects last year. I got a big buck on the Opener, and then the deer pulled a disappearing act. If I just go back and arm myself with the same choices as last year and work on no new loads, I'll be fine. I can run a few rounds through a few guns to test for function and be done.

I've also got gear considerations. The gear has not changed, but I have. I ended last year at 310 lbs. I'll start this season in no more than the 270s, and perhaps a bit lighter. That's a lot. Everything from my underwear out will need to be tested. My guess is my outermost layers are going to be baggy, but serviceable.

Normally, I'd have reduced last year's venison to nothing by now. I've hardly touched it, due to my illness keeping me from cooking. I'll have to figure out how to reduce what's in the freezer before fall. I may sidestep the whole thing and just buy a 2nd freezer.

Perhaps my biggest hurdle will be stamina. My Opening Day stand is on the back of the property. I've got a 1/2 mile trek, and I usually do that with a rifle and a duffle bag on my back. Right now, I'm gassed getting from the recliner to the bathroom and back. As soon as the oncologist cuts me loose, I've got my work cut out for me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by shaman
This is actually a pertinent question.

The cancer and chemo have reduced the potential options. Under the best circumstances, this would have been a busy year. I'm now officially retired. There have been all sorts of things waiting on that blessed event. However, I doubt I'll get to most of them this year.

My main goal in life is to be in my stand on the 11/12 Opener. That is still doable. However, I've got a shrinking window. My last round of chemo has been postponed. Originally, I'd planned on being done by Aug 1. That is going to slip.

First off, I've got to consider armament. I had all sorts of projects last year. I got a big buck on the Opener, and then the deer pulled a disappearing act. If I just go back and arm myself with the same choices as last year and work on no new loads, I'll be fine. I can run a few rounds through a few guns to test for function and be done.

I've also got gear considerations. The gear has not changed, but I have. I ended last year at 310 lbs. I'll start this season in no more than the 270s, and perhaps a bit lighter. That's a lot. Everything from my underwear out will need to be tested. My guess is my outermost layers are going to be baggy, but serviceable.

Normally, I'd have reduced last year's venison to nothing by now. I've hardly touched it, due to my illness keeping me from cooking. I'll have to figure out how to reduce what's in the freezer before fall. I may sidestep the whole thing and just buy a 2nd freezer.

Perhaps my biggest hurdle will be stamina. My Opening Day stand is on the back of the property. I've got a 1/2 mile trek, and I usually do that with a rifle and a duffle bag on my back. Right now, I'm gassed getting from the recliner to the bathroom and back. As soon as the oncologist cuts me loose, I've got my work cut out for me.

Hang in there.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Shaman-

Sending positive energy your way.
Hang in, sir

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Got a call from a friend earlier this week reminding me season opens on private land Aug 15 and I should get over to his place and get my stand up so I’m doing that tomorrow and, “Oh yeah, wear snake boots and carry a pistol, cottonmouths seem to be bad this year.” Yesterday I loaded up 100 more rounds of .41 magnums so will shoot the two Smiths I plan to use some in the next month. I would like to refine my 165 grain.308 load a little but may not. Also a little more range time with the 6.5 x 55 and .223 as well. I put in for some WMA draw hunts so waiting to hear on those. Other than that, just waiting for my starter set of tags to arrive. (Here they automatically send your starter set if you had a license the previous year. ) Hoping to also get up north and/or out to Missouri this fall. We’ll see.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
“Oh yeah, wear snake boots and carry a pistol, cottonmouths seem to be bad this year.”

That'd be enough for me to pursue golf (rather than hunting) as a hobby. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Shaman-

Sending positive energy your way.
Hang in, sir

+1

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
This year I’ve planted over a thousand cedars, 400 shrubs, removed over a thousand trees to clear two additional food plots, frost seeded 3 acres of ladino and planted one plot in forage beans and another in alfalfa. Before years end I hope to clear enough trees to frost seed 3-5 acres of switchgrass next year. I’d like a couple more stands and another camera or two. My to do list is long…

Damn, talk about putting in the work!

WWP53D
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 57 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.