Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As above nails it. It was worth it to me - mostly to turn loose from the vice and clamp to a desk.

In my love of gadgets I have a Forster manual case trimmer with two bases of different lengths and a full set of collets mounted on a piece of wood and a Forster base used in a drill press for bulk power trimming to go with a fancy stainless micrometer Wilson. Where available scraps of counter top make great bases for incidental tools. I haven't had any issues with the Wilson case holders but rumor says that like resizing dies and other such occasionally the case holder is not always a perfect match for fired cases. I'm more inclined to use the Wilson as I age and prep fewer cases at greater leisure.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 06/17/22.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I picked up 2 Wilson case trimmers and a 30-06 cartridge family trim Guage from an estate. It can work in a vise but I was wondering if the Wilson stand and tooling Guage holder were worth acquiring for the trimmer?

If you have easy access to the stuff to make one, not really. If you want the easy button, absolutely. The $40 Sinclair stand is what I got.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
And now for something completely different - reloading without any dies or presses.

For the cost of a bullet mould and some simple tools very serviceable practice/fun ammo can be created. A means of de-re capping, metering powder, and a bullet sized correctly for a snug thumb press fit in the fired case (leave it sticking too far out and the act of inserting the cartridge in the chamber and closing the breech will automatically seat the bullet against the lands uniformly shot-to-shot). Precision loading? No, but surprisingly good results can be had. A range session can be conducted with but one cartridge case used over and over and over again, a punch to remove spent primers and a cheap hand primer seater, powder measure + powder, and a box of cast bullets, and a big smile on your face is all you need.

I do it even simpler with cast bullets in the .22 Hornet. Have a Lyman mould that with wheelweights casts 44-grain roundnoses. They shoot best unsized--and also seat firmly enough in unsized cases. Use a Lee Loader for seating, and just have to push rather than tap. Five go into around an inch at 50 yards....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep! That's how I mostly load for my Stevens 44 .22WCF. I have three of those old Lyman/Ideal moulds, #225438, and each one is slightly different from the rest. One of them drops bullets cast of 1:20 tin:lead alloy at .226" which perfectly matches the throat diameter and fits the unsized case neck as you described, John. I skip the gas check for .22 LR-like loads. Accuracy is similar to yours when I rely on the tang sight, but shrink a fair bit when I attach that old Lyman 5A scope I got from you.

Sinfully cheap:
Lead- basically free.
Powder: 2.5 gr. Bullseye. Do the math for shots per pound.
Primers: Pre-panic prices apply here, but I guess that'll change when the sad day arrives when I have to buy more.
Bottom line: about as cheap as bulk .22 ammo, or less.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/17/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good deal!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a good many primers, but am operating on the premise I may never get more, at least not for less than a dime a pop. Right now, mid-grade .22LR is cheaper than primers, and there’s no doubt I have more of the former than the latter.

Have yet to try those nice bullets John sent me, but it’s near the top of the list now, and I have the 5744 I need as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't get me started, Pappy! I could launch into a diatribe about handloading .22 rimfires, but I won't. And beyond that, breech seating cast bullets in .22LR rimfires with primed empty rimfire brass (of which I happen to have thousands) - I remember showing you the little .22LR breech seating tool I made, at a bar one Sunday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these days, though that day keeps getting pushed back by other stuff, I’ll get to that little .36 underhammer pistol I bought last year using homemade caps. 15gr of FFF ($.05), a $.01 homemade cap, and whatever bullet I can buy or cast should make for some cheap fun, and just maybe some small-game vittles.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
And that, dear hearts, is the epitome of cheap uncomplicated handloading. Muzzle loaders keep whispering sweet nothings in my ear, calling me back onto the path of righteousness. But, I've been there and rarely go back anymore - I'm too far down several other rabbit holes now, too many other questions vex me and too many experiments to contemplate factored by age starting to raise its ugly head.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would like to thank Al Nyhus and show my appreciation for his offer to make some modified cases for my Hornady AOL tool. If any of you have been looking, then you know these cases have become quite scarce, with long back order ETAs from all vendors.

I sent Al cases for 5 different chamberings on 6/16, and received them back yesterday. I could not be more pleased. If anyone is having the same trouble locating modified cases, maybe you should PM Al, and maybe he could do the same for you.

Its the community here that makes The Fire so great.

Thanks again, Al

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Thanks again, Al

Happy to help out.

Modifying your fired cases is a much better approach to the 'universal' cases that Hornady has to supply to avoid issues. I've seen as much as .020 difference in seating depth from the Hornady cases to those cases that have been fired and correctly sized for an individual rifle.

Enjoy! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What size bit and what thread tap is used for the modified cases?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tools to reload? OK, a hammer works....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's only as complicated as a fella makes it...

No tools used with these either, 'cept for the hammer to seat the primers.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Decent single stage press, Lee dies, Lee hand primer, small digital scale, decent measures Harrel for fast powder, RCBS for slow. Many many free load books from manufacturers, 3 books from bullet makers. Added a volume trimmer and US cleaner recently plus shoot in my back garden - a lot.
I don’t check run out, no longer chrono merely shoot for accuracy and dope. My relatively crappy system beats many sporting LR club members whose ammo might be more technically put together but who either don’t shoot enough or have lost sight of the end goal.
I don’t anneal - by the time I need to many have been lost in the grass
I enjoy learning and the process that turns exploration into the ordinary.
One absolute-ONLY EVER USE DATA VERIFIED BY A MANUFACTURER

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Started in 1969 still loading cf pistol, cf rifle and shotshells as well as bp rds and casting. Allways have the ammo I need just like food in the frig and cupboard. If I could learn how to reload with a Pacific reloading manual and a RCBS jr. press and 7 x 57 dies at 14 , damned if I can even begin to understand anyone who thinks it's complicated....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Late to the party as usual but its either as simple as you want it to be or as complicated as you want it to be. Sub MOA is fairly easy.... sub half inch takes a little more time.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just received my Western Powders manual that the boys on here recommended. $5.99 shipped. It is a heavy book! Thanks for the tip.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image share

Just an FYI for those who are looking for recent data resource and this one is free from Hodgon. It's pretty basic but it covers enough rifle, pistol, and shotgun powders from various manufacturers. Did I mention it's free and I found it at my local retailer. What an exceptional promo. Beside that ibpicked up 200 count of 338 bullets today. Good stuff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven’t reloaded since 1980’s. Have purchased equipment and components - just need to set up an area.

I have read so much in the past year. I must have been an idiot way back. Didn’t anneal cases. Didn’t turn necks. Didn’t deburr primer flash holes. Didn’t group cases by weight. Never even heard of Lapua cases. Must have been only by the grace of God that my cartridges fired, never missed a deer, and the Partition bullets tore them up.

All I did was lube the case, deprime and resize, clean primer pocket, prime (and with the press, not a hand tool), charge with powder and seat the bullet. Choose to match the OAL of the reload to factory loads - using the eyeball method to compare. What a dummy!

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up on the Western Powder Guide. Purchased for a total price of $5.40 - they didn’t even charge for shipping.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,568
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.