-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A "trucklet" does make some sense in some instances, especially if you have a larger truck/SUV in the family for heavy chores.

Now with even more aplomb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
A "trucklet" does make some sense in some instances, especially if you have a larger truck/SUV in the family for heavy chores.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Is it a Ute?

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
For running around town (at 42mpg) and back and forth to the ranch (at 30mpg), I wouldn’t mind having one of the base models (list is right around $20/$21k). The pimped out versions, getting over $30k, have no appeal to me. I’d like something with truck-like seating and visibility, the ability to throw 10-20 feed sacks in the back, and cheap price (don’t have to put miles on a $60k diesel heavy duty.

It’s a real shame Ford is not making more of these. They’d be a heckuva 2nd vehicle/commuter for “truck guys”, and I’m sure fleet sales would be great, too (low cost parts-runners/delivery vehicles).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
It’s a real shame Ford is not making more of these. They’d be a heckuva 2nd vehicle/commuter for “truck guys”, and I’m sure fleet sales would be great, too (low cost parts-runners/delivery vehicles).

Ford got caught completely flat footed on the demand on these little trucks. The real numbers are confidential, but it’s generally thought that Ford cut off ordering in January at 60,000. They could probably have sold twice that with a little advertising…. but they can’t make them.

For a CEO that was deriding Musk three years ago for complaining about “production hell”, saying how Ford knows mass production………..well, karma is a bitch with a great sense of humor.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Ford got caught completely flat footed on the demand on these little trucks. The real numbers are confidential, but it’s generally thought that Ford cut off ordering in January at 60,000. They could probably have sold twice that with a little advertising…. but they can’t make them.

For a CEO that was deriding Musk three years ago for complaining about “production hell”, saying how Ford knows mass production………..well, karma is a bitch with a great sense of humor.

Yep. For a “global” company, like Ford, making 100k-200k of these shouldn’t have been an issue. Hell, IHC was making 45k Scouts per year, 50 years ago. Same with the Bronco. Ford has been hyping a return for nearly 10 years, people want ‘em, and there’s hardly any to buy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You gentlemen apparently haven't heard of the global chip shortage that has been constraining all auto manufacturers output for the past couple years.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I work for Ford and have been hoping to pick up a Maverick Hybrid when someone cancels their order but nobody cancels their order! The 2023 order window is opening up 8/2 and I'll be ordering a XL Hybrid to use as a daily driver. I'll save miles on my F-150 and cut my gas bill enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicle pays for itself.

These are handy and well-designed and way more vehicle for your dollar than you'll find anywhere else IMO. Would be a stellar pick for someone that does Uber too!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by walt501
You gentlemen apparently haven't heard of the global chip shortage that has been constraining all auto manufacturers output for the past couple years.

Funny how there’s plenty of chips for phones/laptops/Smart TV’s/etc. You think the average ECU in a car has more computing power than a laptop or Ipad?? You’d think someone would be able to adapt other more available microprocessors to run a few gauges/control the fuel injection/etc. Here we are, 2 years later, still “waiting on chips”.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Unless something crazy happens with a nationwide recall due to them exploding or something we’re most likely going to buy one for my wife. Good mileage, backseat for the kiddo, “bed” for her to haul little things, enough clearance for minor off-road use like farm roads etc, and cheap to boot. Should be the perfect car for a woman living in rural farm country.

My only concern is the power train options. I’m old school enough to be leery of hybrid stuff, plus we want the AWD anyway. And it only comes with the turbo 4 banger. I’d really prefer if it were available with a plain old gutless NA 4cyl like the old Ranger that got 25-27mpg and lasted forever.

Still yet, we “built” one online and with everything we need but minimal extras it was like $27k. That’s Kia money for a new pickup.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yeah, I would, too. And it's not a truck, it's a trucklet. A car with a bed. And skid plates and tow hooks, LOL. I just need it to be able to go on a forest service road to chase blue grouse, carry a deer home, or shuttle 500 lbs of feed between the farms. Or the dogs when they have been skunked..... With the two farms 200 miles apart and $5 gas, a 3/4 ton is not the answer.

As it stands now, the AWD Maverick is claiming only 22-23 MPG, which is only 2-3 MPG better than my Frontier, which sure isn't very good compared to a full-sized half-ton with a six banger. The more you look at anything other than the Hybrid Maverick, the worse it looks, frankly. Which is why I lost interest in it the first time.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Son ordered one - awd, tow package - Christmas day last year. Got it hot off the train in early May this year. It has good cab room for 4 people. It's getting an honest 26 mpg with a lead foot 25 yr old male driving it. It has a tow rating of 4K and the little ecoboost would pull it - stopping would be my concern. Like the extra trans and motor cooling with the tow package. It will handle 500lbs in the rear though she sits down. There are no ford replacement body parts in the system - Son knows because its in the body shop after hitting a deer. It would take a awd hybrid to interest me ( rumored to be in the works).

Last edited by RelodR; 07/08/22. Reason: spelling

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My neighbor just drove his over to my place. He's a farmer and needed a runner. We're both 6'+ & 200#+. No room issues in the front seats. There's enough in the back seats if the front seats are slid forward a couple inches. Plenty of room for a kid or normal sized person. 4000# towing capacity. His is AWD and he's averaging 29MPG. Gravel roads, short trips to town, and bouncing around. With our winter conditions, I would lean towards an AWD. One is on my radar to replace my Geo Tracker when it dies.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tesla increased annual production by nearly 50% last year.

Maybe the “chip shortage” only affects UAW plants?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Tesla increased annual production by nearly 50% last year.

Maybe the “chip shortage” only affects UAW plants?

Didn't Tesla switch back to older tech and use chips that had been phased out prior[but they had available]?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They did, changed firmware around where they could to make things work with what they had, plus they didn’t cancel their standing orders when COVID hit.

The UAW only changed their excuses.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
had a 74 grabber

About 15 years ago I had a chance to buy a 74 grabber with 28,000 miles on it.

I should have bought it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All I've read about the new Ford Maverick truck says it's front wheel drive with a CV transmission so the AWD versions must not have a actual dedicated low range gear.

Not sure how confident I'd be about hauling or towing much weight with FWD vehicle either as it's been my experience that increasing weight load on the rear can lessen traction of front wheels.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by stxhunter
had a 74 grabber

Those early 70s Mavericks were good little cars.

I had friend who had a Mercury Comet and it was totally decent for the times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2
All I've read about the new Ford Maverick truck says it's front wheel drive with a CV transmission so the AWD versions must not have a actual dedicated low range gear.

Not sure how confident I'd be about hauling or towing much weight with FWD vehicle either as it's been my experience that increasing weight load on the rear can lessen traction of front wheels.
Load leveler hitch is your friend...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (06hunter59, 1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.