Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
All those Blinking Red Lights..
Like some Super Collider silently effecting your Axis.
Turning you into someone with the Mindset that lives in Massinsanity..
Maybe like someone who went to BU and is amazed on how a Garbage Disposal works ..

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A few of these at 1/2 acre each is a LONG way from 73,000 acres and 350 miles of roads. That's what they're saying for the Lava Ridge project.

Something else - sage grouse. The feds say they're endangered but they're building these massive projects right on top of sage grouse habitat.

[Linked Image from grist.org]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is BLM proposing to allow for multiple uses around the turbines?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The Feds subsidize wind mill and solar panels construction. The power company has to build the network to get that "cheap clean energy" to it's customer's but they don't get any subsidizes. That cost gets passed on to it's customers.

I finally found my note about the Federal energy subsidies for electricity:

Green energy $101.32 per megawatt hour.

Fossil fuels $1.12 per megawatt hour (gas/oil $0.39, coal $073).

Green energy is going to destroy our economy!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lots of methods for storage are being tested. They're working on one called virtual storage that's supposed to be promising. I have no idea how it works.
I read about a company in the Netherlands that has come up with an undersea storage method. Many of their windmills are offshore in fairly deep water (the article didn't say how deep). They put some tough elastic bladders on the sea floor below the windmills. Excess power is used to force water into the bladders. When more power is needed, the weight of the sea water above the bladders squeezes out the water in them through tubes to an underwater turbine for generation. These need to be in fairly deep water to be practical. The Great Lakes might work fine. They say they're working on a similar method that will work in shallower water.
I’d like to hear more about “virtual storage” of electricity.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good more spare parts and metal to sale.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I worked for an electric utility for 34 yrs. They started filling our mountain tops with these around 15 yrs ago. From the time they started until I retired 5 yrs ago, I asked every senior supervisor I had a chance to speak to, if they even broke even and paid for themselves. Not one gave a yes. Danced around the question like a politician, but not one said yes. And the ruined our fuggin mountains

Home Of The Mollies
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Just south of Rock Chuck on 93, they are putting in a solar farm, Jackpot Solar....which is ok I guess, but it's right next to the highway in what looks like good soil and some damn nice natural grazing. With 10 bazillion acres of lava rock and non arable land in Twin Falls County, it seems strange to pick such a site.

Agreed. The best places for wind or solar is where they don't interfere with other land uses.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a quick way to take hunting land away . can't shoot around a windmill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is so funny, nobody gonna do a darn thing about it cept vent on the forum.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd much rather see them subsidies than implement a carbon tax like Argentina, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Denmark, the European Union (27 countries), Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, the UK, and Ukraine have.

That Jackpot solar project in Idaho will operate at $21.75 per megawatt hour/2.2¢ per kilowatt hour, one of the most efficient in the country.

As long as they keep building solar and wind projects, we can fight the need for a carbon tax.

The new combined cycle gas plants cut emissions by half of your typical coal plant but a carbon tax would lessen the value of building those.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's government land. They can do whatever they want with it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was impressed to drive by a number of ranches in north Texas last fall for a whitetail hunt that had cotton growing, pump jacks pumping and wind turbines spinning. All on the same property. I am sure they were hunted as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Just south of Rock Chuck on 93, they are putting in a solar farm, Jackpot Solar....which is ok I guess, but it's right next to the highway in what looks like good soil and some damn nice natural grazing. With 10 bazillion acres of lava rock and non arable land in Twin Falls County, it seems strange to pick such a site.

If the project is in Southern Idaho, it makes little difference how arable the soil appears to be. It takes irrigation water to grow crops in the arid west.

The soil in question is currently BLM. That means it was never homesteaded...........because there was no water available to grow crops. Most river systems in Idaho are already fully developed to store and divert all available water to existing farmlands. There is none available to send to arid BLM grounds, nor do we wish the Feds to sell the Federal land if water were available.

That natural grazing you refer to is cheat grass. It is an annual which germinates in April and dries up and goes to seed in early July in the best of years, often in June. It is of very low actual dry matter (calories), and even lower nutritional value. Though it will sustain a limited number of ungulates for a short duration.

In the desert, without water, it makes zero difference whether you build on soil, or on barren lava rock. Neither will grow a crop.

As to the impact of the wind farm on grazing by domestic animals or wildlife, whatever grass which presently grows in the area will continue to grow around the wind farms.

I dislike looking at wind turbines as much as anybody. And if the powers that be had closed the gates on this nation in 1970 when we achieved zero population growth, we would not need them.

But since the economy of this nation, and the federal government is just a giant ponzi scheme which dies without growth. The feds keep importing immigrants at unsustainable rates. Thus finding new sources of electricity is of paramount importance. The leftists have demonized nukes and coal. Hydro is equated with Satan himself. That only leaves solar and wind for the foreseeable future.

As much as we hate the sight of wind farms, they are an absolute necessity to national security until the politics in this nation gets reversed.

Personally, I think wind farms are a wise choice for lands of limited production. And they fit well with the ideal of multiple use.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If transmission lines must be built, then some environmental groups will likely challenge and shut it down.

Had a potential geo-thermal system in our Alvord Basin shut down over that very issue several years ago.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

VIEW
COAL vs WIND

[Linked Image from energi.media]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

VIEW
COAL vs WIND

That white stuff is steam.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by victoro
The Feds subsidize wind mill and solar panels construction. The power company has to build the network to get that "cheap clean energy" to it's customer's but they don't get any subsidizes. That cost gets passed on to it's customers.

I finally found my note about the Federal energy subsidies for electricity:

Green energy $101.32 per megawatt hour.

Fossil fuels $1.12 per megawatt hour (gas/oil $0.39, coal $073).

Green energy is going to destroy our economy!

I did NOT verify your math, but I will accept it EXACTLY as you stated...

Point being...

In 2022 most people will not... or CANNOT do the hard math... and immediately go to the "emotional" opinion (i.e. "I love Green"... or "I hate Green").

People have been TAUGHT that their emotions are more important than math/economics.

Horse chit in every way...

All of nature and all that is truly real is based on resource/economics FACTS.

"Green math" is really dumb... every time I have dug into the retails/done the math.

BUT people get a warm fuzzy... just like taking a Rona shot/booster to "feel" safe.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by JeffA

VIEW
COAL vs WIND

That white stuff is steam.

That it is, rising from the cooling towers, the low laying dark haze on the horizon is that nifty particulate matter, also known as particle pollution which includes the tiny particles of fly ash and dust that are expelled from coal-burning power plants from sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen oxides (NOx) and ammonia (NH3).

Live about 15 air miles from one.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The Salmon Falls and Lava Ridge projects benefit no one except the politicians that are receiving money for trying to push this through and southern California and Nevada that gets the power generated.
The power doesn't stay in Idaho. Literally it will only create 10s of jobs. It diminishes grazing that already the BLM and Forest Service has been cutting back for years. In turn creating fire fuel in the hot summer months. Try fighting a wild land fire amongst 1000 ft tall pinwheels.
Above someone mentioned cheat grass, yes there is a lot of cheat grass along with other native grasses. Cattle can do very well on cheat grass if grazed at the correct time and it's been proven in it reduces fire fuel load.
With reduced grazing, also reduces the amount of water hauled in by ranchers to water cattle this also reduces water for wild life that uses those tanks. Just because the land isn't turned into usable farm land it doesn't mean it doesn't create income or provide a life for others, wildlife included. The sage grouse being "endangered", follow cattle from allotment to allotment.

There has been a big local push back and voices have been heard. Last Thursday Twin Falls County commissioners opposed the Salmon Falls project. Lincoln County commissioners are expected to do the same.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 300s, 26 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,027
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.