-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More Prayers sent from TX. Hope you get out of the Hospital soon !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mjbgalt: Get better quick - we need you around here.
I'll do a gunshow for you tomorrow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mjbgalt: Get better quick - we need you around here.
I'll do a gunshow for you tomorrow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Find me something good smile

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Doc rocket was nice enough not to tell me how dire my situation was until I was safely admitted lol

Any virus could set your immune system off and cause it to start zapping good cells.

Pretty scary and not much warning.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Praying for you, get well soon.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Prayers sent for a quick recovery!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Doc rocket was nice enough not to tell me how dire my situation was until I was safely admitted lol

A good doctor has a good poker face. several years ago late at night I just stopped remembering stuff. My wife looked calm but kept me awake for the rest of the night doing mini mental status exam stuff. I later learned she was trying to decide if I needed to be rushed into the ER for the clot busting drug.

She waited until morning then got me into an MRI machine where nothing bad was found. My vision had lost a line on the eye chart. With consults she figured out what it was but it took her a few days to explain how scared she had been.

This most often happens to people over 50 and can be really scary.... I'll always be grateful she "looked calm" while I had no clue what was happening to me. The memory hole lasted maybe 4 or 5 hours.

Transient global amnesia

Overview

Transient global amnesia is a sudden, temporary episode of memory loss that can't be attributed to a more common neurological condition, such as epilepsy or stroke.

During an episode of transient global amnesia, your recall of recent events simply vanishes, so you can't remember where you are or how you got there. In addition, you may not remember anything about what's happening in the here and now. Consequently, you may keep repeating the same questions because you don't remember the answers you've just been given. You may also draw a blank when asked to remember things that happened a day, a month or even a year ago.

The condition most often affects people in middle or older age. With transient global amnesia, you do remember who you are, and you recognize the people you know well. Episodes of transient global amnesia always improve gradually over a few hours. During recovery, you may slowly begin to remember events and circumstances. Transient global amnesia isn't serious, but it can still be frightening.

Symptoms

Transient global amnesia is identified by its main symptom, which is the inability to form new memories and to recall the recent past. Once that symptom is confirmed, ruling out other possible causes of amnesia is important.

These signs and symptoms must be present to diagnose transient global amnesia:

Sudden onset of memory loss, verified by a witness
Retention of personal identity despite memory loss
Normal cognition, such as the ability to recognize and name familiar objects and follow simple directions
Absence of signs indicating damage to a particular area of the brain, such as limb paralysis, involuntary movement or impaired word recognition
Additional symptoms and history that may help diagnose transient global amnesia:

Duration of no more than 24 hours and generally shorter
Gradual return of memory
No recent head injury
No evidence of seizures during the period of amnesia
No history of active epilepsy
Along with these signs and symptoms, a common feature of transient global amnesia includes repetitive questioning, usually of the same question — for example, "What am I doing here?" or "How did we get here?"

When to see a doctor
Seek immediate medical attention for anyone who quickly goes from normal awareness of present reality to confusion about what just happened. If the person experiencing memory loss is too confused to call an ambulance, call one yourself.

Although transient global amnesia isn't harmful, there's no easy way to distinguish the condition from the life-threatening illnesses that can also cause sudden memory loss.

Causes

The underlying cause of transient global amnesia is unknown. There appears to be a link between transient global amnesia and a history of migraines, though the underlying factors that contribute to both conditions aren't fully understood. Another possible cause is the overfilling of veins with blood due to some sort of blockage or other abnormality with the flow of blood (venous congestion).

While the likelihood of transient global amnesia after these events is very low, some commonly reported events that may trigger it include:

Sudden immersion in cold or hot water
Strenuous physical activity
Sexual intercourse
Medical procedures, such as angiography or endoscopy
Mild head trauma
Acute emotional distress, as might be provoked by bad news, conflict or overwork
Risk factors
Interestingly, high blood pressure and high cholesterol — which are closely linked to strokes —are not risk factors for transient global amnesia. This is probably because transient global amnesia doesn't represent blood vessel diseases of aging. Your sex doesn't seem to affect your risk, either.

The clearest risk factors are:

Age. People age 50 and older have a higher risk of transient global amnesia than do younger people.
History of migraines. If you have migraines, your risk of transient global amnesia is significantly higher than that of someone without migraines.
Complications
Transient global amnesia has no direct complications. It's not a risk factor for stroke or epilepsy. It's possible to have a second episode of transient global amnesia, but it's extremely rare to have more than two.

But, even temporary memory loss can cause emotional distress. If you need reassurance, ask your doctor to go over the results of your neurological exam and diagnostic tests with you.

Prevention

Because the cause of transient global amnesia is unknown and the rate of recurrence is low, there's no real way to prevent the condition.

Please don't feed the trolls!
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Up for the 4am blood draw. I got up early, not going to give them the satisfaction of waking me up lol

Aside from boredom and getting stabbed a lot, this has been an ok experience and I am damn glad for it. Could have been much much worse.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
mjbgalt- scary stuff, but looks like you’re doing well and dealing with it. Hang in there…in our thoughts and prayers..

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Up for the 4am blood draw. I got up early, not going to give them the satisfaction of waking me up lol

Aside from boredom and getting stabbed a lot, this has been an ok experience and I am damn glad for it. Could have been much much worse.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better.

Reading through your posts, you've certainly got a good attitude, which is great.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kingston

Reading through your posts, you've certainly got a good attitude, which is great.

I was on a medication for almost eight years which we finally realized had fouled my moods and almost cost me my marriage. It was needed but we didn't realize the downsides. An accidental missed dose revealed a horrible withdrawal and led to me demanding a different drug. Suddenly my life was a new place and everything was clearer. No depression or anger anymore.

My attitude on here changed too. My posts are happier and I handle life very differently. I have had a lot of medical challenges for age 41, but I find I am a lot more able to navigate things now.

It's been a long road but I am finally on the right one and able to see clearly.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/10/22.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
My hospital posts aren't nearly as well-crafted as Shaman's lol

Always something for which to endeavor...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wishing you well, at work doing a 12 hour shift and reading your posts makes me count my blessings at 55!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mwbyler
Wishing you well, at work doing a 12 hour shift and reading your posts makes me count my blessings at 55!

Glad to be a cautionary tale lol

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Platelets are 19, meaning it did not go backward over 24 hours, meaning I am making my own now and not destroying them.

Good to see.

Going to be a couple more days in here and some more bags of fluids and platelets.

They are running out of veins that they can easily find so that's not pleasant but there's a lot worse problems in the world.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts. Just trying to stay positive and not grouchy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good news!

Hope you continue to improve!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Awesome to hear, #kickcovidsass.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
It was a little weird to have docs coming to look at me and ask questions. One sort of implied they don't see people with levels like mine unless they're basically dying of leukemia. So it was wierd to them for me to be acting normal and having no discomfort yet have dangerously low numbers.

This whole thing has been bizarre. Even the nurses said they would have ignored the rash, never suspecting they would be in danger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I was on a medication for almost eight years which we finally realized had fouled my moods and almost cost me my marriage. It was needed but we didn't realize the downsides. An accidental missed dose revealed a horrible withdrawal and led to me demanding a different drug. Suddenly my life was a new place and everything was clearer. No depression or anger anymore.

My attitude on here changed too. My posts are happier and I handle life very differently. I have had a lot of medical challenges for age 41, but I find I am a lot more able to navigate things now.

It's been a long road but I am finally on the right one and able to see clearly.

Now if we could just get everyone else property medicated, we'd have a utopia.

Grins.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Now if we could just get everyone else property medicated, we'd have a utopia.

Grins.

I do wonder about that when I encounter someone acting like a crazy or an azzhole. I give them a tiny bit more grace than I used to. You just never know.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 52 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,002
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.