Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Do you track round count, modifications or other information on all your rifles?

What and why...

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep an EXCEL file for each rifle and handgun that are my person firearms with all of the pertinent information.

Make - Colt
Model - Light Rifle
Serial number - LR00333xx
Cartridge - 30-06
Date of purchase -
Place of purchase -
Purchase price -
Invoice number -

Date Activity Load Darta Comments

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I write up range reports in gmail, a searchable database.

I write up rifle builds in gmail, a searchable database.

I track gun collection in excel on desktop.

"Who would have thought reading and writing would pay off?" - Homer Simpson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I keep a pocket size notebook for each gun. Serial #, purchase info and date. Keep track of round count, any modifications and load info notes.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I keep a SN list for insurance purposes, and then a notepad with loads for each one, and chrono numbers on the loads I end up settling with on each rifle. I don't keep track of rounds fired or anything else like that.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Excel file. Details on rifle, stock, weight, barrel contour/length/twist, base/mounts, scope, load data with zero distance and drops, rough round count. Notes column for related info.

I may be off a few on the round count as I generally do it after shooting, not while,...don't keep up with shots fired hunting or if it's only a couple checking zero/drops....but it's pretty close. I don't keep up with round count on 22 rimfires.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have notebooks with a page dedicated to each batch I load. I just record them in sequence by the date they were loaded. I generally dedicate boxes and number them for each rifle.

At the top, each page is marked for the date, which box, the cartridge and which rifle. Entries include the different components, any special case prep such as trimmed, annealed, etc. I generally leave the bottom of the page for firing notes…velocities, accuracy results, impact points, etc.

If I want to, I can go back and add up the rounds loaded for each firearm or how many times a box has been loaded.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I keep an EXCEL file for each rifle and handgun that are my person firearms with all of the pertinent information.

Make - Colt
Model - Light Rifle
Serial number - LR00333xx
Cartridge - 30-06
Date of purchase -
Place of purchase -
Purchase price -
Invoice number -

Date Activity Load Darta Comments

^^^ Same

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I keep a spreadsheet that includes case status (fired, resized, trimmed, primed and loaded) and number of times fired, as well as what they expired of when they were retired. It gives me an idea of what I'm up for when I want to take out a firearm for a session, and I can check while I'm at work and plan for a reloading session, if required. I hate reloading and generally have to make time for it.

I also track the shot count through my rifle barrels, with the intention of seeing if my 22 benefits from barrel clean or not - mainly not.

Gererally info for info's sake.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys need a life! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been keeping "log books" on all my rifles (and shotguns and handguns, and even air rifles) for decades. The photo is of the four 3-inch spiral binders that contain the written info, along with quite a few targets--though also keep a separate file of larger targets. Oh, and there's a separate binder with shotgun info--and a bunch of shotgun patterns in a corner of my office.

I do admit to being somewhat OCD about this stuff, but it became very handy after starting to write about it. Started writing professionally in my 20s, and was able to do it full-time by 30, on a bunch of different subjects. But eventually gun-writing became the majority of my living, and I was very glad to have kept semi-decent records for all those years. The only regret is not recording even more details--though the ones I've kept since around 1990 include round-counts on every rifle or handgun, along with cleaning intervals. (Oh, and which big game animals have been taken with each rifle, including the load, range, how far they went after the shot, etc. etc.)

Also keep some computer records on all my guns, not just rifles, including serial #s, trigger pulls, changes in scopes, rebarreling, chokes and chambers in shotguns, etc. etc. But this is my life. I don't go hunting a a few times a year, in my "spare" or "vacation" time. I hunt something just about every month of the year, whether in Montana or elsewhere. In other words, this IS my life.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
No.

X2

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Probably around 15 years ago my wife peered into the inner sanctum of all things shooting related and said "Uh, aren't you like a software engineer? What's with all this paper?"

Busted.

It took a hell of a lot of work, but now it's all in the 'system', cross-referenced, easily searchable, printable, and triple-backed up.

It's greatest value is whenever I get my next dumb idea I can quickly search the 'system' by any number of criteria and quickly see where I've been down that path before.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I installed a digital round counter on each of my rifles. They synch up with my iPhone after each range session to update total rounds fired (TRF). Data is stored in the cloud.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep a detailed account in the cab of my truck...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I stopped using rifle logs well over ten years ago. Many weights and distances were factored: along with wind, and temperature; accompanied by elevation. I really did not see any need to document the data any further. There is nothing more to be added.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rifles And More: Back in 1985 I started entering pertinent information in my new, official, spiral bound "MTM Handloaders Log" - regarding the Rifle in addition to load information and load testing results.
I include info on the Rifles weight, origin, new or used, serial number, barrel length, action screw torque amounts, scope power and serial numbers and on some Rifles when modifications and what modifications were done (new trigger, bedding etc).
Out of curiosity I counted up the number of Rifles I now have logged information for - and it includes 105 (one hundred and five!) Rifles that I currently own and shoot and I saved info on about 12 more that I have since sold't off - this info comes in handy for load development reasons.
I long ago learned NOT to try to commit important info to memory - its best to log it/write it down.
Yeah.... I'll be loggin Rifle info into my log right up until the end (I hope).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
las: "I" have a life and "I" enjoy my life to the extreme!
How bout you - you sound kind of angry and pathetic?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by EdM
No.

X2

As usual, two guys I tend to agree with.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (257 roberts, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 2500HD, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.