Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Damn funny listening to the old guys that are not capable enough drivers to avoid guys on bikes. Maybe you all shouldn’t even be driving.

I will take guys on bikes over the blue hairs, immigrants and tourons doing 55 in the left lane, hands at 10 and 2 in the 75 Oldsmobile.

You will also take it up the pooper, so there's that.

Maybe you two can compare boosters after a few drinks.

LOL

Well we all know you can’t ride a bike or exercise. Saw the pic of you and another old guy with a dink mule deer. You are both toads.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=PaulBarnard][quote=deflave]
You don't consider that reasonable people are going to do everything in their power to keep from hurting you or killing you. And that the actions they take to prevent that may hurt themselves or others. Intentional or not.They

Nope. No law abiding, alert driver will ever have to take such evasive action on my account.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nope. No law abiding, alert driver will ever have to take such evasive action on my account.

That's another lie.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Well we all know you can’t ride a bike or exercise. Saw the pic of you and another old guy with a dink mule deer. You are both toads.

I'm sure you're every bit as tough as PaulBarnTard.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That's another lie.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You all better cool your jets. Before too long, the infamous “oh yeah come to my place, so I can whip your ass” will come out.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
You all better cool your jets. Before too long, the infamous “oh yeah come to my place, so I can whip your ass” will come out.

Just to add insult to injury, I'll beat their ass wearing spandex.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No. I just finished a 28.4 mile ride on my eBike.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
Our late friend Randy (2L2Q) would offer a plane ticket to Fairbanks to beat commie asses!

Miss that guy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Random street view samples show road design similar to this.

That road design is fine with me, as there is plenty of room to the right of the rumble strips. While traffic isn't heavy by my standards, there would be constant road noise that takes away from the peace I seek when I ride.

Here ya go, a non-random section of Hwy 2 along the Hi Line, one of the better sections along maybe a ten-mile stretch. I guess I musta hit it on a day considerably above the mean, I’m recalling lots of two-way traffic including semis and especially them big fuggin’ RV’s driven by semi-skilled tourists.

This was actually a scenic shot rolling towards Big Jim’s booming megopolis rather than a polemic on highway safety, I do realize the pesky rumble strip might disturb your harmony.

At the time I was thinking who dafugg would route a major bicycle route through here. But of course in Montana their generally ain’t many options.

IM maybe 600 mile E in that state, most Montana highways suck for bicycles about like this one coming out of Great Falls.

This actually was a polemic on highway safety. On a road like that when both lanes are occupied when vehicles are passing I’ll bail clear off the asphalt in a heartbeat, but there really wasn’t a dirt shoulder to speak of, I was having to bail so often it was barely rideable, even for me.

Same highway, further up, better shoulder, the truck coming at me teamed up with that guy passing me to try to kill me but I seen the other guy coming in my mirror 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rlott
Conservatives don't have time for cycling. They are too busy working and raising their kids.
Conservatives and biking... tough to teach them to ride a bike.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Conservatives going to work and creating traffic issues.

No spandex involved.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Just to add insult to injury, I'll beat their ass wearing spandex.

Then slap them in the face with a [bleep].

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
From a link on a link on the Apehanger thread.

James and Alex were out riding, bear bells deployed. James was jumped by a bear, yells “help! help!” Alex deploys bear spray, saving James.

See? Not all cyclists come across as queer as three dollar bills grin

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/201...attacks-in-southcentral-alaska-saturday/

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bicyclists, like enthusiasts of any variety, come in both left, right and center leaning varieties.

it's 104F in TX right now. if I'm going to get a "workout" outside - a bike is the coldest means of doing so - better evaporation of sweat - and not in direct contact with the hot black asphalt that makes up the roads around my neighborhood. I took an 8 mile ride yesterday morning, before I went to my hyperconservative church. smile

I will say that one thing common among bicyclists, is that they are typically in pretty good shape. if you wanted to "group" them, I'd say "healthy" is a fairly appropriate label.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Conservatives versus liberals on bicycle it's really not hard to tell which ones which the conservatives haul their bike to a biking trail riding area. The ignorant levels right down the middle of the f****** highway

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They know full and well the dangers they are imposing on everybody else, they simply don't give a fugk.

I am well aware of the horrible dangers that cyclists pose to motorists. Hell, every time I catch breaking news it's another account of a drunk cyclist killing someone in a GMC pickup truck. lololol

Wow, you really are an idiot. No pun intended....

Last edited by KSMITH; 07/11/22.

-Piss into the wind.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Paul B, what type of syrup do you want when you cause yourself to be flattened like a pancake?

You come off like a bit of a sissy. Do you wear these?

Those are just your style Paul. Minus the little fold in front. We’re all sure you won’t need one there. 😂

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/11/22.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
In 2019, I met Bill Lewinski in a class. He's the guy behind the Force Science Institute. He was researching time-to-stop shooting, and he's also published in the past a number of articles on unintentional discharges: https://www.forcescience.com/research/ A colleague of his, John O'neill, published a Functional Behavior Assessment of the Unintentional Discharge... in which he identified six distinct antecedent classes in which UD can be categorized: contact with objects, medical symptoms, muscle coactivations, routine tasks, startle stimuli, and unfamiliar tasks. I recall that Massad Ayoob had a UD in a class a few years ago which he detailed and described as a case of "Look But Fail To See." He describes opening the cylinder, looking down into the chambers, and yet he failed to see a cartridge in one chamber. For Mass, this incident would have fit O'neill's "routine task" class because clearing a gun and demonstrating something with dry-fire was a routine procedure in MAG-40. Drivers can make this same kind of error.

Jay Winsten is a health communications expert at the Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School whose work focuses on traffic safety. His work in the 1990s introduced the designated-driver concept into American culture through a collaboration with media companies. In a study of serious crashes, it was found that inattentive driving was a critical factor in 30 percent to 40 percent of such incidents. Inadequate surveillance — failing to actively monitor the road and surroundings — was shown to be the largest single factor. Winsten has described eye-tracking studies that show a driver's eyes stop scanning left and right when their mind is not primarily on driving. This isn't just about "distracted driving" due to texting or looking at phones. Winsten has described how getting lost in thought, "you can miss a lot of things in the periphery — a bicyclist you’re about to cut off, a child dashing into the street after a ball, or a driver running a red light and heading your way." “We get away with distraction most of the time. And an uneventful trip reinforces our belief that we can handle it, that we’re not the problem, that we’re great at multitasking. But the truth is we’re playing a dangerous game of probabilities.

Jeremy Wolfe is the director of the Visual Attention Lab at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and professor of ophthalmology and radiology at Harvard Medical School. Wolfe has said that although driving is routine for many of us, it is also a complex, dynamic activity that requires one to rapidly — sometimes instantaneously — make sense of many things at once: the vehicle’s position on the road, its speed, the speed and direction of other cars, roadway conditions, visibility, and the activities of pedestrians and cyclists on the shoulder and sidewalks. “Doing anything perceptual in the world requires a vast set of inferences. You’re continuously making your best guess about what’s going on in the world." “Part of being an expert at anything is learning what the right inferences are to make in this setting and making them quickly.”

Wolfe’s scientific interest is in what’s called “Look But Fail to See” errors, such as when one repeatedly proofreads a document but keeps missing a grammatical error someone else picks up their first time through. The term “look-but-fail-to-see” comes from auto accidents. Wolfe has used the example of when drivers tell police that they looked but didn’t see the red light, the other car, or the bicycle rider. “In many cases you can be pretty damn sure the cyclist was perfectly visible. But the driver isn’t lying, in the sense that the driver didn’t say, ‘Oh look, there’s a cyclist. Maybe I’ll hit him.’ In some meaningful way, they did not see the cyclist or the other victim of the accident.” “These sorts of errors are going to be influenced by — among other things — how good a set of inferences you’re making at the time, and those inferences are going to be influenced by distraction.”

Ray Bradbury was prescient when he wrote stories like The Pedestrian, where he described a culture that had progressed beyond pedestrianism and came to regard it as deviant and even unlawful. Ray had written about science fiction and other literature set in the future like that of George Orwell, that it doesn't attempt to predict the future, so much as it examines what will be "if things continue the way they've been going." The Pedestrian preceded the world of Fahrenheit 451 where pedestrianism was also deviant behavior and drivers were maliciously callous toward them and would run them down in their jet beetles with impunity. Clarisse McClellan was different. She didn't watch the parlour walls (something like surround television that displayed content that had features of reality TV and social media), but she was a pedestrian and she thought drivers should slow down to appreciate the natural environment as it was originally intended to be viewed instead of looking at different colored blurs as they speed past. She thinks that drivers should take the time to notice the grass, flowers, cows, and houses they casually fly past on an everyday basis.

Nothing is more conformist in our culture today than driving a motor vehicle, and one of the most popular ways to do it is with callous indifference, distraction, and negligence while maintaining an expectation of entitlement to do so with impunity. I referred to the story of a young mother Beth Ann Huey and 1-year-old Paul Zebulun Huey earlier in this thread, but I'll mentioned them again. Just last week, they were mowed down by a driver of an Infiniti sedan who struck their bicycle and trailer. Also hit was Beth's husband Daniel and their daughter Faith who survived but were hospitalized. Several of the news stories emphasized how the roadway was blocked for 5.5 hours. There's no mention of the driver facing any charges. It was, evidently, an "unintentional discharge." Some people would say, "an accident."

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.