Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Is anyone using the Ruger Magnum .375/.416/.458 rifle?

I want to check out some operation of the action with a user without buying one. wink

thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do Jim, in 416 Rigby. I've had it tuned by Mark Penrod though so I don't know if that changes anything wrt your testing protocol. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one ea and the only one I haven't glassbedded is the 375. The others I've had a smith smooth out all the tiny burs in the extractor hook, the pop-up ejector alongside a stronger spring and stronger magazine spring. Other than that, they'll go a long ways with these simple mods. The triggers on mine have all been 3 1/4-3 1/2#, just lucky that way. Of course, if you don't have the time to send it to a smith, you could shoot it in to smooth everything out but that takes a bit of ammo.

BTW, just working the action back and forth will smooth out the bolt travel some.

Last edited by 475Guy; 10/16/07.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Jorge & 475 Guy,

Thanks for posting, and PMs sent.

I have kept the rifle stock, but I am operating the bolt and safety off and on during dry practice (something to do in front of the TV). I would say I have about 4 hours of operation so far, and things are working in. Also I have been shooting factory ammunition.

The trigger pull is now much more consistent, and the avarage is lighter: 4 pounds 12 oz. average.

thanks for your comments...jim

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one in 416 Rigby, and wouldn't trade it for the world. The trigger came from the factory at 3 1/2 pounds, with no creep. The bolt was a trifle rough at first, but, cycling the action several hundred times has smoothed it out. I replaced the recoil pad with a Pacmeyer, and also replaced the front sight with a red fiber optic one from NECG. The grain through the wrist is very straight, so I haven't had a need to glass bed it. It shoots 3 different factory loads, and 1 handload into 1 hole at 75 yards.(By that I mean it shoots 4, 3 shot groups into the same hole 3/4" in height, and 1/2" wide)

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jim,
I've had a total of 5, all 416s. Still have 3 of them. What would you like to know?

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
3 Ruger 416's? Damn, I guess you must luv the caliber and the RSM's.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
Jim,
I've had a total of 5, all 416s. Still have 3 of them. What would you like to know?

SOS

I am working with a Ruger African .375 Ruger. Part of that entails dry practice in front of the TV ; I engage any number zero or letter oh that appears on teh screen from ready. Move safety to off, trip trigger, run bolt, then repeat as available.

I notice that the Ruger safety needs to be moved from its lock position to the mid position, then forward to the off position. I was wondering how other Ruger users handled safety operation?

By contrast the M70 style safety goes from its lock position to fire with one motion of the thumb. Ditto with the shotgun style safety on my Steyr .376.

jim

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
HunterJim - My RSM in .375 operates the same way. I've had the action smoothed and trigger worked on and lightened to 3 1/2 pounds. I do the same thing you do with mine but I use snap caps in mine to avoid damaging the firing pin..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After you smooth out the safety, it'll stop sticking like that. Once it's polished a bit, you can operate the safety with one motion. Only thing I don't like about it is that the safety "tab" is a wee bit small. I've been looking into getting a bigger part put on.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, same issues I experienced. My safety was also worked on by Penrod and it's pretty slick althogh like others here, I wished it would be bigger. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I thought there was a guy in North Carolina making a larger Ruger safety. I have not been able to run that down though.

jim

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If all else fails, you gotta get a REAL smith who can actually work with metal, that is, grind down the offending part and tig or mig weld a larger piece without ruining the temper. He'll also need to re-shape and chamfer or otherwise round off all sharp corners, checker or groove it and refinish it. Sounds like a lot of work. Iffn he be a good one, you ain't getting it back anytime soon.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine does the same thing. I get around it by not having the safety back in the rear position while stalking. I suppose I could get it fixed, but I don't see the need.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
Mine does the same thing. I get around it by not having the safety back in the rear position while stalking. I suppose I could get it fixed, but I don't see the need.

Have you noticed that the bolt moves out of fully shut action position when you do this?...thanks...,jim

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the RSM in .416. It is a bit heavy for a .375 however. I have never seen one that did not shoot well either. I haven't bedded mine, or otherwise modified it other than a home trigger job. The bolt isn't locked down when in the middle position, so it can move. I don't have any problem with the safety, yes it is a little short. I've spent so much time with a MkII in 7x57 that it is no problem in the field for me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jim,
I couln't wait for the 416/Ruger 375 to come out so I just built one on a Mauser action..The metal work is done, now for a stock and I think I found a nice English style stock for it, so will glass that one on...Probably sell this one and make another in 404/375 Ruger..Ruger is going to make this caliber btw at some point, but you know how that goes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got one in 416 and one in 458. They are very stout and well made. I didn't get the 375H&H, went with the 375 Ruger instead. Happy with all 3.

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I really think for the money, the Ruger Safari big bores are the finest factory big bore rifles to come along in years. Integral quarter rib, barrel band swivel, barrel band front sight..I mean thats custom work and on a custom rifle it would stick you the cost of Ruger just for the barrel, so how can you go wrong...

I just built a 416/375 Ruger caliber on a Mauser action..I couldn't wait for Ruger to come out with it..maybe I'll sell this one and make another in 404/375 Ruger caliber..wish I had thought of that in the first place.

Last edited by atkinson; 10/26/07.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by atkinson
I really think for the money, the Ruger Safari big bores are the finest factory big bore rifles to come along in years. Integral quarter rib, barrel band swivel, barrel band front sight..I mean thats custom work and on a custom rifle it would stick you the cost of Ruger just for the barrel, so how can you go wrong...

This is all quite true. Unfortuantely there is a snob value in custom work which is why the name of the 'smith is usually in the anouncement. If he is known, all the better.

The reality always has been that there are examples of many fctory rifles that fit wood to metal precisely, have fine accuracy and with a scope fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, in the right mounts for the action and, perhaps a bedding job, are fully the equal in quality to something more substantial in price range.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,375
Posts18,506,619
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.